What's not good about Perth

richdownunder

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are moving to Perth looking at Rockingham but from the post on here i am a little worried.... Is it really like benidorm or is that a stretch.... as far as the rentals we have had a nightmare trying to get a short term for when we get there so expensive its unreal....

Anymore negatives? its good to see it from both sides. already saw perth being a little "backward" being mentioned, doesnt really bother me much since i come from the countryside, it'll be like london for me! :laugh:

tbh the main thing im worried about is the heat, anything over 30oc i struggle a bit. Not much i can do about it tho!

Same here Stacey, we're from a small Devon town and don't want a busy city life, exeter is too busy for us .

everyone Is different, if you came from one of the uk's big city a suppose it woud be too quiet but hopefully just right for us country bumpkins

Hey cki, rockIngham, PARTICULARLY port kennedy wasnt for us, some brits like to go and flock together ,for us it was a bit essex, but there are different lifestyles there for whatever you want. We are seriously considering brisbane

Hey cki, rockIngham, PARTICULARLY port kennedy wasnt for us, some brits like to go and flock together ,for us it was a bit essex, but there are different lifestyles there for whatever you want. We are seriously considering brisbane

Thanks JGT looks like we may have some more research to do then that doesnt sound like my kind of place....

I try not to be too negative because some on here live in certain parts and will defend it to the end,but we are though worried about the rental scene and suggest looking at perth gumtree which has a good overview of rental costs etc, we also look at perth news wa, which keeps you updated on whats going on, best o luck

Perth. Very clean, pretty, nice beaches, good climate.

But

Eye watteringly expensive, crap houses that are overpriced, a bit small, very isolated, many residents with very conservative views, lots of bogans.

Rockingham, nice bay, but stuffed full of bogans, huge amount of Brits who are the type who fit in well with bogans, the bay it pretty, but the view crap.

Last weekend it rained heavily all day - unusual for Perth - usually it is a quick down pour then it's dry. i was thinking what a pain it must be if you had primary school age kids - what would you do with them? then I thought of all the indoor pools around Perth - some with slides/wave machines, and all the indoor playgrounds, the ice skating rink, the roller skating place in Fremantle, couple of indoor rock climbing centres, numerous cinemas, Fremanlte jail and the Perth mint, the WA museum would fill up a couple of hours, Scitech - brilliant for young kids, AQUA and remembered my sister who lives in a small town in the Highlands of Scotland and has an 8 year old. It rains all the time there and the only thing to do on a rainy day is go swimming. OK, many of the things above cost money but still some cheaper options. Sorry - this isn't a negative of Perth - it's hard to think of one.

However...your rent of $400 a week is not going to get you a nice house in an area with the best schools. It's a sad but realistic statistic that cheaper the areas rent the worse the schools performance. It's enough to get you out of Rokingham though!

As many have said it depends on what you like.

My OH doesn't like Perth at all. We moved from London where we'd been living for 8 years, for us it's a total change of pace. He thinks there is nothing going on, there's no vibe to the City, the City itself is just too small. All very 'woolly' reasons not to like the place, it's just a feeling you get I think. We went over to Melbourne this weekend and it's totally changed his thinking on Australia, he said he could really see himself living there and he loved being in the 'hussle and bussle' of the City. Before he was counting down the months until we went back to England, now he's more optermistic aboust staying in Australia for a while.

For me, I don't mind Perth. But then I love the beaches and the 'clean' look of the place, the vibe thing doesn't bother me so much, although I can see the appeal of the better shopping over East!

I'm not sure on Melbourne, mainly because I didn't see any nice beaches, and not sure how far away from the City we'd have to live to get that. I think next on the agenda is a trip to Sydney and then Brisbane, see if either of those places offer what it is that he's looking for. See if we can reach a compromise!

But for now, Perth is where we have to stay (visa conditions, got to work here for two years!)

As many have said it depends on what you like.

My OH doesn't like Perth at all. We moved from London where we'd been living for 8 years, for us it's a total change of pace. He thinks there is nothing going on, there's no vibe to the City, the City itself is just too small. All very 'woolly' reasons not to like the place, it's just a feeling you get I think. We went over to Melbourne this weekend and it's totally changed his thinking on Australia, he said he could really see himself living there and he loved being in the 'hussle and bussle' of the City. Before he was counting down the months until we went back to England, now he's more optermistic aboust staying in Australia for a while.

For me, I don't mind Perth. But then I love the beaches and the 'clean' look of the place, the vibe thing doesn't bother me so much, although I can see the appeal of the better shopping over East!

I'm not sure on Melbourne, mainly because I didn't see any nice beaches, and not sure how far away from the City we'd have to live to get that. I think next on the agenda is a trip to Sydney and then Brisbane, see if either of those places offer what it is that he's looking for. See if we can reach a compromise!

But for now, Perth is where we have to stay (visa conditions, got to work here for two years!)

I'm pretty much of the same thinking as your OH. Very nearly moved to Melbourne as well. Just seemed to much hassle in the end for the return that would have evenuated.

We came here in our 40's with our youngest being 7 - we'd been here a year when he asked "are we still on holiday". We've found Perth to suit our needs, we wanted a lifestyle that gave us more time with the children which we have. We're only just getting Sunday trading and supermarkets staying open past 6pm so not like Melbourne for example. Having visited Brisbane and Sydney it is much quieter - some with love that and others hate it. We live in quite a mixed suburb, English, European, Asian, Australians, South Africans, New Zealanders .... in fact our group of friends heading off to Albany in the new year has a mix of Brits, Australians, Irish, American, New Zealanders. My childrens friends include Indians, Koreans, Chinese children as well as brits and Aussies which is one of the things that we've loved about living here - the cultural mix and from our experience acceptance of each other.

Guest guest17301

I think take the comments about Perth being like some chavvy council estate full of poms..ok my interpretation...with a huge pinch of salt. If you don't want to live in a pommy wonderland, let's face it some do...no problem..then stay away from very very new residential areas where the cheapest home and land packages are advertised, obviously those suburbs are going to have a younger population. Best bet buy in a middle of the road established burb where your neighbours are pensioners and enjoy the quiet life. Dont tar all of Perth with the same brush, the suburbs really are very very diverse. Something for everyone.

Edited by guest17301

bang on bbb

Not going on the defence but ......

I disagree, we live in Rockingham and we have lived in Brisbane/ Thornlands and on the Sunshine Coast. There are bogans/ chavs in all these places.

There are many UK peeps in both places, more South Africans on the sunny coast where we were.

I have UK friends here but also have alot of Australian/NZ friends.

:)

Perth. Very clean, pretty, nice beaches, good climate.

But

Eye watteringly expensive, crap houses that are overpriced, a bit small, very isolated, many residents with very conservative views, lots of bogans.

Rockingham, nice bay, but stuffed full of bogans, huge amount of Brits who are the type who fit in well with bogans, the bay it pretty, but the view crap.

In a nutshell........

Not going on the defence but ......

I disagree, we live in Rockingham and we have lived in Brisbane/ Thornlands and on the Sunshine Coast. There are bogans/ chavs in all these places.

There are many UK peeps in both places, more South Africans on the sunny coast where we were.

I have UK friends here but also have alot of Australian/NZ friends.

:)

Whatever floats your boat,:biggrin:

What I don't like about Perth?

I have to wear socks for three months of the year and sunglasses all year round. The moths have eaten my wool winter coat. the car gets hot if I can't park it in the shade. Carrying a heavy esky full of beer to the park for a BBQ is a real pain if you have a sore back. The kookaburas wake me up early in the morning. The possums leave poo outside the back door.

I think take the comments about Perth being like some chavvy council estate full of poms..ok my interpretation...with a huge pinch of salt. If you don't want to live in a pommy wonderland, let's face it some do...no problem..then stay away from very very new residential areas where the cheapest home and land packages are advertised, obviously those suburbs are going to have a younger population. Best bet buy in a middle of the road established burb where your neighbours are pensioners and enjoy the quiet life. Dont tar all of Perth with the same brush, the suburbs really are very very diverse. Something for everyone.

I agree there's something for everyone and because something wouldn't suit me personally I wouldn't knock it if it was a place that someone else liked. I've always said that were I live won't be everyone's cup of tea because it's an older suburb. The top and bottom of it is .. some of us love it and some hate it, those who hate it will move on to somewhere they may like better - that's life.