Health Insurance in OZ

Guest orangegerbera2003

Guest orangegerbera2003

Hi there. I have a Kiwi husband and hence 2 Kiwi children (who are thus entitled to full Medicare). I am entitled (being British) to the reciprocal Medicare healthcare. We have taken out private healthcare through Medibank, which is a really good price for my husband and 2 children (Kiwis are basically immediately permanent residents). However, as I only have a 5 year temporary visa, I have to pay (just for myself) a lot for Medibank private health insurance (as I am classed as a visitor). Has anyone come across a company which good deals on private health insurance for us Poms in Oz? Thanks very much!:spinny:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zippy77

Hi there, I am still trying to get my head around the whole medicare, levy charges and then private insurance thing, but, I have been informed by my employer that the one of the only companies that covers 'temporary residents' is Aus Health Australian Health Insurance - comprehensive health insurance for Temporary Residents and Overseas Visitors. I have been here 3 months and have just got round to doing some investigating on this this week and it does seem that whilst other insurers will cover you there are exemptions for not being a permanent resident and the costs seem fairly high. Hope that might be of help!

Archived