Cats Outside

Guest weecraigy

Guest weecraigy

Hi there, my family and i are moving from Scotland to Perth Australia through my work and we are taking our two cats and a dog with us.

I am concerned as my cats are outdoor cats. Are they safe out wandering about?

Is there a curfew and what are the dangers?

Thanks

We have curfews in Victoria i e have to keep them in at night, this is to protect the wild life.

Some estates also have covenants saying that cats cannot be kept. However they are few and just check before renting.

I let my cats out but we live on acreage so its fine, we do keep them in at night though.

We have to register our cats just like dogs here and they have to be fixed otherwise the registration fees are very expensive, same for dogs.

Just check the council web site where you intend to live and look at their local bylaws.

Do not worry cats are aplenty here in Aus.

Laws relating to cats vary from one area to another - it will depend on Western Australian laws or your local council. The dangers for cats out wandering about are always road traffic and dogs - and fighting with other cats if they cross territories. You will also have to be aware of snakes, but again, depending on where you live.

As others have said, check the council regs for the areas you are considering living in and be prepared to keep them in at night for their own safety if nothing else, although I do think doing so is responsible for the preservation of native wildlife also.

I know of some curfews that are 24/7 on your own property so you have to cat proof it so they can't go over the fences (easily done apparently with special fencing).

My cat is an outdoor cat. We used to live in Tapping with a vacant block behind our house and my cat would jump over the fence, cross the road (Pinjar) and in head to the scrub/bushes for hours. We were there 3 years and he was always fine, not a stratch on him. Only annoying thing we would have to go round and get him when he was ready to come home as the fence was too high haha.

It depends on where you are going to live in Perth. Most places and suburbs are built up and it's rare to get snakes in, having said that my parents neighbours had a snake in their garden and they weren't living near any parks/scrub/bush at the time, just in the middle of a suburb. If your heading to the hills then from what I hear snakes are more prevalent. I was there 5 years, my family have been there 9 years and we have only ever seen 1 snake on Rottnest Island.

I think some places in WA have cat curfews but could be wrong on this.

Guest JK2510

I have noticed that aussies are quite anti cat...I don't mind cats used to have them in the uk.

A lot of our neighbours can't stand them as they poo all on their grass and in the flower beds...can't Blame them really.

Our cat has been over with us for 3 months now and although she's an outdoor cat we haven't really let her out yet. I think it's probably my own paranoia (went through so much to have her over here with us I just couldn't bare it if anything was to happen to her).

Our council doesn't have a curfew or requirement that the cat be registered with them, but she is micro-chipped and registered with Cat Haven in Shenton Park.

I've let her out twice on a weekend recently when I've been around in the garden too, and she doesn't seem to stray too far. But we do live on Thomas Street (next to Kings Park) and there are six lanes of traffic for her to come face to face with if she went out that way!

Guest JK2510

Busy road...by PMH!! I fo hear Aussies talking about people with cats and saying they should be kept indoors! Quite difficult I think!

It is a good idea to keep your cat indoors, not only for the cats safety but for the safety of the native fauna. Too many lizards and birds are killed by cats. Cats are also at risk of being killed on the roads and also by disgruntled neighbours who are not so keen on a neighbours cat deciding to deficate in their garden, not nice gardening and coming across poop. There is also the problem of cats fighting, usually at night keeping the neighbourhood awake. The sooner Australia introduces stricter cat laws the better it will be for the cats the enviroment and the neighbourhood sanity. I killed a cat on the freeway a couple of years ago, someones pet, it was a bit difficult to swerve to miss it doing 100k an hour on a busy freeway, it plays on mind even now a couple of years after it happened. If only the owner had kept it indoors, it wouldn't have happened.

A good reason to keep your cats indoors, the following was posted on the Perth Pets in Need Facebook page.......

ATTENTION: Clarkson, Merriwa, Currambine, Quinns Rock areas. There is a man going around baiting and poisoning cars and kittens. Police are currently investigating.

Archived