What Australian fish tastes like haddock?

Guest elledownunder

On 07/10/2017 at 07:55, Evandale said:

Are you talking about Barracuda and the shortened version is "cuda"! normally "Barra" is shortened  for  Barramundi!

Perhaps the poster is thinking of Basa, it's a cheap fish often used in Australian fish and chip shops. 

Edited by bristolman
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2017 at 09:11, starlight7 said:

I very rarely have deep fried fish- always grilled or done in tinfoil in the oven.  If I get battered fish I pick off all the batter before I eat it, however 'crispy' I don't like all the grease.  Chips have to be very crispy- in the bin with them if they are remotely soggy.

I'm with you there, not a fan of soggy chips. 

• 2 weeks later...

I could just fancy a piece of breaded fish - there's a place at Balmoral called, I think, "Bottom of the Harbour" which does a nice fish and chips. Scampi, chips and peas would be nice too but I think that is a Pommie pub meal isn't it?

I like barra too, preferably grilled, and they do a nice salmon steak in the Strawberry Hills hotel down the road. There used to be a very nice cafe in Devonshire St which did grilled fish of the day, salad, and chips in their own little pan. I've got a feeling the guy who ran it was ex-Bottom of the Harbour.

• 2 years later...
On 21/08/2012 at 10:48, Guest SusanW said:

Hi, not sure where you live but there is a great British fish'n chips shop at Birkdale in Queensland.

Everything is imported, even the fish fryers. You can get haddock, cod and plaice, plus scampi,

and a few other delicious treats like haggis.

They also have a shop where you can get good bacon and buy the fish frozen, pork pies, sausages etc.

Chumley warners is the name.

My partner has a son who lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We visit them every year and when we are Queensland we always make the journey to Birkdale, at least once. The obvious reason for going to Birkdale is to go to Chumley Warners fish shop to enjoy our annual feast of Haddock. It's almost as good as being back in Bradford, Yorkshire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenLorne said:

My partner has a son who lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We visit them every year and when we are Queensland we always make the journey to Birkdale, at least once. The obvious reason for going to Birkdale is to go to Chumley Warners fish shop to enjoy our annual feast of Haddock. It's almost as good as being back in Bradford, Yorkshire.

I believe the English chippy at Burleigh Waters is pretty good. I havent tried it myself but it seems to get good feedback. It would be closer than Birkdale for you all. Its called Burleigh British Chippy - 3/3 Classic Way, Burleigh Waters QLD 4220

Cal x

The only thing I miss is the nice malt vinegar with salt- they don't seem to have that combination here much. When we were in the UK recently I had fish and chips in Lancashire- fish was ok but the chips were fat snd soggy, sadly. I think we have got so used to the crispy ones here the soggy jobs just dont' cut it anymore.

• Like 1

The only thing I miss is the nice malt vinegar with salt- they don't seem to have that combination here much. When we were in the UK recently I had fish and chips in Lancashire- fish was ok but the chips were fat snd soggy, sadly. I think we have got so used to the crispy ones here the soggy jobs just dont' cut it anymore.

The soggy U.K. chip shop chips are my favourite! But it’s funny how tastes change over time so I may say the same in a few years...
You can get Sarsons Malt Vinegar from time to time in Coles. I occasionally buy it with my proper mint sauce [emoji16]

22 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Soggy chips are gross!