What Australian fish tastes like haddock?

Guest elledownunder

Pardon my ignorance, what's so special about haddock? I've never been able to discern much difference in the flavour of white fish. It's the texture that I like - so for instance, I love a real bit of barramundi, nice and fat and juicy. Can't stand anything that's just a thin fillet.

Edited by Marisawright

Pardon my ignorance, what's so special about haddock? I've never been able to discern much difference in the flavour of white fish. It's the texture that I like - so for instance, I love a real bit of barramundi, nice and fat and juicy. Can't stand anything that's just a thin fillet.

You mean what exactly makes it the best fish in the world? sorry cannot help as to why but it just is!

..........nice dish of finnan haddock....

..........with a home made bread spread with butter for the juice..ll!

.........though here red empora ......barramundi and snapper are beautiful tasting fish......

..........don't think there is a haddock substitute TBH....just different but equally tasty alternatives..

Do you not have an English style chippie near you (or in Melbourne even) that imports it?

Not that I know of. I live in the far outer suburbs and choices cater for the Australian taste. Not that I mind - I'm happy to use Australian substitute fish but was just wondering whether I had made a reasonable choice.

I think you are right. The differences are all about texture and some fish is meaty and some is soft and flaky. I certainly don't think of haddock as the best fish but I am doing a Lebanese recipe that calls for haddock so wanted something similar.

If you people want a 'top-of-the-range' fish, go and get some golden snapper, aka fingermark. Another excellent fish is 'bluey' aka blackspot tuskfish and, of course, coral trout, but be prepared to pay top dollar.

And...Never bake...:arghh: Always clean fillet, that way you never get meat tainted by skin, or bones.

Off my soapbox now...

Cheers, Bobj.

If you people want a 'top-of-the-range' fish, go and get some golden snapper, aka fingermark. Another excellent fish is 'bluey' aka blackspot tuskfish and, of course, coral trout, but be prepared to pay top dollar.

And...Never bake...:arghh: Always clean fillet, that way you never get meat tainted by skin, or bones.

Off my soapbox now...

Cheers, Bobj.

Gold spot wrasse ain't bad chewing either

goldspot.jpg

Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Evening all.

I've missed Haddock while I've been here, but managed to find an English chippy. They import everything, even down to proper vinegar and the wooden forks.

They were in Croydon in Melbourne's south east, but have now moved to St. Kilda.

They are excellent. They're called Fryer Tucks... well aren't they all! 

Flake is probably the nearest i tasted to haddock, just avoid the stuff from Thailand they sell in chippies, it like a mass produced fresh water catfish, they bleach it and market it so ppl assume its cod or haddock but it is disgusting.  Here too BTW.

I good batter makes a good fish n chips 

Edited by simmo

Guest The Pom Queen
On 15/04/2017 at 10:36 PM, Jeff56 said:

Evening all.

I've missed Haddock while I've been here, but managed to find an English chippy. They import everything, even down to proper vinegar and the wooden forks.

They were in Croydon in Melbourne's south east, but have now moved to St. Kilda.

They are excellent. They're called Fryer Tucks... well aren't they all! 

English chip shops and Melbourne never go together, I guess that's probably why you are here trying to promote it. Vics chips at Dandenong sunk quickly. I think even the Mornington one didn't last and that was in a perfect location surrounded by Poms. 

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, simmo said:

Flake is probably the nearest i tasted to haddock, just avoid the stuff from Thailand they sell in chippies, it like a mass produced fresh water catfish, they bleach it and market it so ppl assume its cod or haddock but it is disgusting.  Here too BTW.

I good batter makes a good fish n chips 

I love Barra in batter, however the freshest fish I've ever had was on the banks of the river with a wonderful chef. 

IMG_2414.thumb.JPG.ac8430cf28e6774c8dcb23c9dc4afa0a.JPG

IMG_2415.thumb.JPG.50006a624c9422ab65b89ae3c92c230f.JPG

• 5 months later...

There's a 'British' chippy in Currambine that does haddock and it's great. It also does cod, which is rubbish. That said, I have recently been back to the UK and the cod there was bland in the extreme too so I think the problem lies with cod in general. To be fair, Australia is well stocked for decent fish, I'd say in general it's better. The chips on the other hand, are usually disgraceful.

1 hour ago, s713 said:

There's a 'British' chippy in Currambine that does haddock and it's great. It also does cod, which is rubbish. That said, I have recently been back to the UK and the cod there was bland in the extreme too so I think the problem lies with cod in general. To be fair, Australia is well stocked for decent fish, I'd say in general it's better. The chips on the other hand, are usually disgraceful.

Completely agree. I've yet to find anywhere that can cook chips. My theory is that it's because they don't have proper fryers but are trying to use these tiny things that are no bigger than domestic fryers and so the oil is nowhere near hot enough (but in truth I've no idea as to science behind different fryers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Completely agree. I've yet to find anywhere that can cook chips. My theory is that it's because they don't have proper fryers but are trying to use these tiny things that are no bigger than domestic fryers and so the oil is nowhere near hot enough (but in truth I've no idea as to science behind different fryers).

Australian chip shop chips were just horrible, always frozen rather than fresh cut. There is nothing quite like Haddock, I really like Flake but it was virtually impossible to get actual flake in Queensland, I don't know what they use but it's not Flake that's for sure. Haddock or Cod for me here, both lovely white tasty fish.  

Never quite understood the British fascination with deep fried fish and no idea how anyone can discern the different type of white fish once it's been battered and fried like that... I do love the availability and diversity of fresh fish in Australia and love Sushi! Although I do admit I am partial to a plate of cockles on Doncaster Fish Market when in the UK. If my wife has a craving for fish and chips, I just follow one of there Ramsey/Jamie Oliver recipes and make it myself. 

• Like 1

Worst I had was Barra. Mistook it for being a short hand version of Barramundi, a different kettle of fish all together. You can't beat fresh caught and cooked fish, regardless, for the most part of variety. (never fresh water Mekong Bara though) If deep fried usually find Snapper does the trick out here, if Barramundi unavailable.  But grilled far better.

Chips I agree. Rather poor most places. Some exceptionally so. Most palatable if not much more.  

42 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Worst I had was Barra. Mistook it for being a short hand version of Barramundi, a different kettle of fish all together. You can't beat fresh caught and cooked fish, regardless, for the most part of variety. (never fresh water Mekong Bara though) If deep fried usually find Snapper does the trick out here, if Barramundi unavailable.  But grilled far better.

Chips I agree. Rather poor most places. Some exceptionally so. Most palatable if not much more.  

Are you talking about Barracuda and the shortened version is "cuda"! normally "Barra" is shortened  for  Barramundi!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

I understood that "Barra" was the shortened form of Barramundi.   Can you explain the difference please?  

9 hours ago, Briar said:

I understood that "Barra" was the shortened form of Barramundi.   Can you explain the difference please?  

I think he got confused with ''basa' the mekong river catfish.

I'm having barra tonight...59d9193ecda9d_P1060620(2).JPG.e1d7caffe27d6dcc47466fa8ec1d40cc.JPG

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2017 at 03:57, CaptainR said:

Never quite understood the British fascination with deep fried fish and no idea how anyone can discern the different type of white fish once it's been battered and fried like that... I do love the availability and diversity of fresh fish in Australia and love Sushi! Although I do admit I am partial to a plate of cockles on Doncaster Fish Market when in the UK. If my wife has a craving for fish and chips, I just follow one of there Ramsey/Jamie Oliver recipes and make it myself. 

A fascination shared by Australians as well. It's very easy to discern the difference as they taste different lol. Yes we have great availability and diversity as well, it's great isn't it ?