What Australian fish tastes like haddock?

Guest elledownunder

Basa, as i understand it is a freshwater cat fish, normally from Vietnam, so it feeds on the bottom of rivers?

It was originally "farmed" by co-operatives who lived above the cages where the fish were grown. The fish were fed all kinds of human waste and there were many documentaries made about it ans much scaremongering on cooking forums etc. Most scaremongering derived and were financed by the American Catfish growers (I forget their real name) who were competing with the sale of Basa and it was even inferred that the USA Government had their hand in the demeaning of the fish.

The Vietnamese government realised the huge potential for the export of the fish as it's growth rate is very good and began to be more pro-active in the aquaculture. The breeding/growing/selling of basa is now highly regulated and in some cases even superior to the standards of some western countries. Our family has eaten it regularly for at least 4 yrs and we love it...............especially when it's on special at 3.99 kilo...............have to buy a 5 kilo box

Guest Ptp113
It was originally "farmed" by co-operatives who lived above the cages where the fish were grown. The fish were fed all kinds of human waste and there were many documentaries made about it ans much scaremongering on cooking forums etc. Most scaremongering derived and were financed by the American Catfish growers (I forget their real name) who were competing with the sale of Basa and it was even inferred that the USA Government had their hand in the demeaning of the fish.

The Vietnamese government realised the huge potential for the export of the fish as it's growth rate is very good and began to be more pro-active in the aquaculture. The breeding/growing/selling of basa is now highly regulated and in some cases even superior to the standards of some western countries. Our family has eaten it regularly for at least 4 yrs and we love it...............especially when it's on special at 3.99 kilo...............have to buy a 5 kilo box

After watching that scientist test it here in Oz a while back I agree with him, it isn't fit for human consumption. There are better alternatives

A bit like the old free range Goan pigs then.....made for very tasty meat though :smile:

I haven't got a problem with Basa, makes a great fish curry. I guess the business expansion frightens a lot of countries and you're going to get propaganda and protectionist comments to protect the local trade.

Oz can complain all it likes about food standards, but the two worst cases of dirty production and animal cruelty I've seen for years are both pretty close to where i live now....almost 3rd world conditions being applied to animals going straight into the local food chain.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Guest guest17301

Wow,

I'm trying to eat more fish lately, bought a basa fillet from Coles, $12 a kg btw...half that in Woolies!! It was gorgeous!! Tasted fit for human consumption to me? I just oven baked it in foil with olive oil, pepper and lemon

Wow,

I'm trying to eat more fish lately, bought a basa fillet from Coles, $12 a kg btw...half that in Woolies!! It was gorgeous!! Tasted fit for human consumption to me? I just oven baked it in foil with olive oil, pepper and lemon

Ive bought it meself a few times lately Fi,i liked it tbh,beginning to wonder now!

Barra here.....tastes great and lots of it.

Rainbow Trout & Salmon from Scotland/Wales................when my grandad came back from his weekends fly fishing.

Saltwater barra is a premium fish, if you can get it. The "barra" one usually sees in the shops, is mainly 'farmed'. The quality barra go to the bigger and better restaurants.

There is also the nile perch, a close cousin to the barra, but that fish is always imported.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Those barra in my avatar are all freshwater girlies and are ALWAYS returned safely.:yes: The only freshwater barra I ever eat are from the Ord River as the water quality is icon14.png,having drunk from the Ord on many, many occasions

Not sure why you would want English fish and chips when you live in Australia and the choice they have is amazing. Don't get me wrong my local chippy is amazing and the fish tastes so nice as do the saveloys mmmmmmm. However, when I'm in oz, I love the fact that at the local chippy you can get a dozen different fish cooked in at least 3 different ways! Love barra and dory. Also love the salt and pepper squid. Enjoy the kabanos too although I prefer a saveloy (no comments Pabs or any other gutter minded peeps on here)

Fish are friends, not food.

And about the best source of omega 3...

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/top_sources_of_omega_3s

An extract:

Omega-3 fats are good for your heart—and according to some research, omega-3 fats may help boost your mood too. These fatty acids—specifically EPA and DHA—are found in fish oil, which you can get by taking fish oil supplements…or, even yummier, by eating fish! These 5 fish are top sources of omega-3 fats ( containing 630 mg or more per 3-ounces). Do your body good with these delicious fish that are high in omega-3 fats.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 years later...
In Adelaide we bought Nile Perch, in England it is sold as Bassa and I have heard it called other names too. It is a smallish fillet and slightly pinkish in colour but firm to eat and mild flavour. Banana prawns were also good when on offer. Salmon was expensive!

We tried a number of other fish and I can't say I hated any of them. The chippy usually had something called butterfish which was nice too along with squid and scallops and salad (never seen those in a chippy at home)

Just ask the fishmonger what they are like and buy a small piece to try, start with whatever is on offer!

Try Hake its cheep, sold in most fish and shops, hotels as a fish and chip minue and can be bought in frozen packs in most super markets.

Also I have noticed in Coles and Woolworths the fish are on ice behind a counter. Are there no packaged fish fillets (like the packets of two fillets of cod/haddock/pollack that you get in Sainsburys back home)? I am looking for the cheaper fish because I'm on a budget!

You can certainly get Hoki and Barramundi fillets in the frozen sections of all the supermarkets near me, and I've occasionally seen Atlantic Pollack too. Shop around. Generally the bigger the store the bigger the selection.

• 5 months later...