Pomsinoz - Family Meals Under $20

Guest The Pom Queen

Here is a sauce we love and is great with chicken or pork, pork cuts that need slow cooking are good for this. Can feed 5/6 for 20.00 (depending if you have some sherry laying around)

Brown the meat and then remove out of the pan

One onion, chop small.

Fry in some oil and butter until soft, push to the side of the pan

Then add a spoon of sugar, some sweet paprika, stir to a paste, add a splash of dry sherry. Let that burn off for a min, now add some water and an oxo cube and a squeeze of tom puree, add your meat and leave to simmer.

I normally throw some mushrooms in

Once the meat is nearly ready then add some cream, heat and then serve.

Green veg and double baked potatoes are great with this dish.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home made fish cakes.

If you like tinned sardines - not everyone's taste I know - this is great when things are getting a bit thin:=

Mix a tin of sardines with chopped parsley and enough mashed potato to make a stiff mixture. Roll into cakes, dip in flour, beaten egg and then breadcrumbs (home made breadcrumbs are better - easy to do in a food processor)

Fry in whatever you've got. A handful of mixed herbs in the oil adds to flavour.

Tip onto kitchen paper to blot off the excess fat.

Serve with a mixed salad so its not too greasy.

This woman is my GOD............. her food is awesome and easy to cook.. really healthy and so damn cheap... Manjulas kitchen :em4500:[h=1]Vegetable Curry[/h]

[video=youtube_share;Q5x4VcIH_1Q]

[h=1]Mango Lassi,[/h]

Oh hell yea !!!! (food gets me excited) :em3600:

[video=youtube_share;wXQXhLEk_hI]

Ok , one of my favourites , Get a large baking tray and chop up roughly , courgettes , onions ( red works for me ) mushrooms , peppers any red , green , yellow etc , sweetcorn ( baby optional ) , Aubergines , snap peas , Get equal ammounts of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and some fresh or dried herbs , salt and pepper drizzle over and bake in the oven until crispy and caremalized or as you would like them ..bake on about 180 ' for 40 mins less or more to your taste !

Cook some pasta , drain mix with passata sauce or chopped tinned tomatoes .. mix in med veggies stir through .. serve with crusty bread and butter ..

You can use this with or without a meat side or even add meatballs :)

Edited by Jackboots

Guest guest17301

Coincidentally Sharon, tonight we are having wholemeal pasta with chicken breast and roasted veggie leftovers stirred through, red onion, mushrooms, green capsicum, zucchini, this will serve 4 and cost under 10 dollars

Guest guest17301

Chicken or lamb stir fry

500g of lamb strips or chicken breast

few cloves of garlic chopped

2 or 3 red or green chillies, finely sliced

inch piece of ginger, sliced

selection of veg, bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, red capsicums, whatever you like

soy sauce

Serve with steamed white rice

Under 20 dollars easily, this serves 3 or 4 people

Guest guest17301

Lamb koftas with cous cous and salad

500g lamb mince mixed with 2 eggs, onion grated, teaspoon cumin, half teaspoon paprika, handul chopped or dried parsley/mint, ground black pepper, salt, mix it all up and shape as you like, balls or sausages

Make up a packet of cous cous either Ainsleys or plain, if using plain I add in some pan fried mushrooms, zucchinni and capsicum, salt and pepper and lemon juice

Bowl of finely chopped tomato, onion and cucumber, salad leaves

feta crumbled on top

Packet of lebanese breads or wraps, lebanese bread can be bought for 99c a pack in the markets

Edited by guest17301

Mexican Chicken:

2tbs olive oil, sliced onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 2 green chillies - sliced, 2 diced chicken breasts, Can chopped tomatoes, chicken stock cube, tortilla chips, 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tsp ground corriander, pot of sour cream, 4oz grated cheese.

Fry onion untill soft, add garlic, chillies and chicken and stir fry until chicken changes colour.

Stir in spices, tomatoes and crumble in stock cube, simmer for 10 mins.

Transfer to heat proof dish, top with tortilla chips, spoon over sour cream and top with cheese - grill to melt.

We serve this with rice

Edited by ali

For a cheap but delicious dessert you can't go past a flummery. A tin of evaporated milk which you place in the freezer unti really cold but not frozen. Add to this your choice of cooled but not set jelly (using only about 100ml of water) and whisk it all together at high speed until the volume has approx tripled/quadrupled. Place in fridge for a couple of hours to set.

Costs about $2-$3 all up and serves 6.

Tortilla wraps

Wraps approx $3

Pepper (Called something else) $1

Frozen sweetcorn 500g $2.90 (but would use approx 200g so approx $1.20)

Red onion $0.30

Cheese 250g $4

bbq sauce $2.50

Chicken fillet from butchers roughly 900g $8

Total : $20

That is a meal I cooked when I was on holiday, it fed 3 adults and one child with some left over. We made wraps and had the sweetcorn as a side but that could easily be salad or something else instead.

Home made fish cakes.

If you like tinned sardines - not everyone's taste I know - this is great when things are getting a bit thin:=

Mix a tin of sardines with chopped parsley and enough mashed potato to make a stiff mixture. Roll into cakes, dip in flour, beaten egg and then breadcrumbs (home made breadcrumbs are better - easy to do in a food processor)

Fry in whatever you've got. A handful of mixed herbs in the oil adds to flavour.

Tip onto kitchen paper to blot off the excess fat.

Serve with a mixed salad so its not too greasy.

:notworthy:I am defo gonna try this one and tins of sardines here are only 55c and for some reason I have managed to find myself with lots of packets of Smash, so a brilliant way to use that up. Thank You Very Much.

I always freeze extras for my oh to take work for his meal , like curry's and chilli slow cooker stews etc or like tomorrow a lazy night i just cook fresh rice/pasta and pull out a home cooked from the freezer .

We usually have one or two portions left over for a lunch

Edited by ali

I also did a Shepheds pie under $20 but my friend did have herbs already.

Mince 500g $3

Onion $0.30

Gravy $2 (but probably $0.50 used max)

Potatoes $3

Peas 500g $2.44 (approx 150g used so roughly $1)

Cheese 250g $4

Carrots 500g $1.45

Total: $16.19 so could probably have afforded some mixed herbs on top if my friend didn't have any.

Tortilla wraps

Wraps approx $3

Pepper (Called something else) $1

Frozen sweetcorn 500g $2.90 (but would use approx 200g so approx $1.20)

Red onion $0.30

Cheese 250g $4

bbq sauce $2.50

Chicken fillet from butchers roughly 900g $8

Total : $20

That is a meal I cooked when I was on holiday, it fed 3 adults and one child with some left over. We made wraps and had the sweetcorn as a side but that could easily be salad or something else instead.

peppers are capsicums

Sandwiches are a big thing. We have peanut butter and jam, peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and chocolate (nutella), grilled cheese, grilled cheese and ham, etc. Nothing beats a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.

Haven't had it since we've been here, but we used to have macaroni and cheese with hot dogs pretty regularly. We finally found a good (read, something that's familiar to us) hot dog at Aldi's, so we've been having hot dogs once a week or so.

Breakfasts are usually a bowl of cheerios, maybe toast. Occasionally I'll be bored and scramble up some eggs with misc. ingredients (definitely cheese, maybe some mushrooms, indian seasoning, whatever's available). Oh, Sunday mornings it's always pancakes. Use some pancake mix, add a tiny bit of vanilla flavoring, and put peanut butter or nutella on top (plus syrup, of course).

Desserts vary. Mud pie cake mix is $4, plus cream (I wait until it's on sale at NQR, 35cents for a container) and eggs. Chocolate chip cookie mix for $2 (plus one egg, and negligible amount of margarine). Probably the best and cheap dessert is chocolate oatmeal cookies (also called no-bake cookies). Butter, sugar, cocoa, peanut butter, vanilla, and oats.

I think for a family of four, we spend a bit over $100 a week on groceries. I've tried to track it to get a rough idea, but some weeks we're only buying milk and bread, other weeks we're stocking up like crazy ($2 jars of peanut butter are bought 20+ at a time).