Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

**** me!!!!! What the chuff are you eating? Gold??? We're a family of 3 and manage really well on $67000, pluse my iccle part time job....I think you need a course in how to manage a house hun...$220,000 between you and you can't manage!!! ...Excuse me while I chuckle me way outta here...................

Our family is double the size of yours do you not get that ? You aren't living on $67,000 you have a part time job so unless they are paying you in magic beans you need to factor that in

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
Bell I take it you've never been down under, to say you would go without a car and then you want to explore the great out doors....? It's not like England here , can't go any where with out wheels... Take the tinted glasses offf

It all depends where your house is, the family I was discussing live in a beach suburb everything is within walking distance, bus stop outside, when you don't have money or a car these are things you consider so I find your comment about the tinted glasses rude.

Guest The Pom Queen
Have you ever lived in oz? If not you are in fir a rude awakening.

You have no idea what you are talking about so for once shhhhhhh.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yo live on 67k? Are you renting? I earned almost that as a single bloke and struggled..how the ell do you manage?

No wonder you struggled when you are out buying designed labels, maybe if you had bought those target jeans at $15 you would have managed just fine. I will be honest and say even we don't earn anything near what you are quoting and we have a comfortable life, but like I said earlier, we don't do designer, we don't drink, smoke etc.

No wonder you struggled when you are out buying designed labels, maybe if you had bought those target jeans at $15 you would have managed just fine. I will be honest and say even we don't earn anything near what you are quoting and we have a comfortable life, but like I said earlier, we don't do designer, we don't drink, smoke etc.

You sound a right barrel of laughs

Since when did ciggies, grog and designer jeans become mandatory for a good time?

Being in the medical profession you would know that the first 2 are the path to a very bad time for many people.

Guest The Pom Queen

Ahhh so that's where your money goes, cigs, booze and designer labels, then you say you go to bed hungry, maybe you need to get your priorities right

Guest The Pom Queen
It's not where MY money goes but for a single man those would hardly be unusual purchases

Ahh so your not a barrel of laughs either :wub:

Yo live on 67k? Are you renting? I earned almost that as a single bloke and struggled..how the ell do you manage?

Up until a few years ago that was a very common wage even considerably less. And i'm not talking ten years either. There are still many jobs going for less, even now.For the life of me I don't see how folk think if as a wage earner they are going to score top money.

Tradies can do well as do those in the resource sector. Ordinary jobs pay ordinary money folk and though higher than UK ..which pays pitifull wages in many cases ...

Perhaps that is why some 40% feel the pinch to some degree......

Up until a few years ago that was a very common wage even considerably less. And i'm not talking ten years either. There are still many jobs going for less, even now.For the life of me I don't see how folk think if as a wage earner they are going to score top money.

Tradies can do well as do those in the resource sector. Ordinary jobs pay ordinary money folk and though higher than UK ..which pays pitifull wages in many cases ...

Perhaps that is why some 40% feel the pinch to some degree......

Exactly right.

A lot of people just don't listen to facts. The idea that all of Australia is on huge wages is false.

What is certainly true is that large parts of the UK (speaking both "parts" geographically and "parts" as in sectors of the economy) have become extremely low wage paying in the last 35 years, becoming even more so in the last 15 years - e.g the minimum wage now being seen as a maximum wage in many sectors. This has not happened to the same degree in Australia where wage inequality is lower and the minimum wage far higher.

The effect on median wages (the best "average" wage statistic) is to show that Australians are paid far more than Brits. But dig deeper and the reason is that Australia has a large number of people on $60 - 65000 whilst the UK has large numbers of people on £12 - 16000. As you go higher up the wage scales the differences narrow quite considerably.

It is very dependant upon what you do as to what the wage gap will be. As has been pointed out earlier the Australian average wage is approx $1200 pw for men and $800 pw for women.

Also bear in mind that 40% of Australians are on temporary or casual contracts - not great for job security.

The unemployment figures here are also calculated in a different way to the rest of the world (phoning up households and asking if you or your spouse has done any paid work in the last fortnight. If either of you has done even 1hr work you are not unemployed) and is renowned for underestimating the true figures.

Getting all your info from serveys (sic.) is not research. Look harder.

Guest The Pom Queen
Luckily we are invited around to others houses enough to be able to laugh a lot without actually spending which is just as bloody well. When we'll be able to return their hospitality I don't know which makes me very sad.

:swoon:

Luckily we are invited around to others houses enough to be able to laugh a lot without actually spending which is just as bloody well. When we'll be able to return their hospitality I don't know which makes me very sad.

I tell you what we did the other weekend we had a winter warmer evening ... I made baked potatoes and fillings like beans for the kids, tuna mayo, cheese, coleslaw, chilli etc, someone brought a starter, someone made brownies and everyone brought their own drinks ... we had a great evening and it really didn't cost that much for us to entertain 12 of us. We've been invited to peoples houses and been asked to take whatever we want to cook on the BBQ - they'd supply salads etc., no one really minds if you don't put on everything (although my hubby still struggles with this concept and if he's the host he thinks he should provide). The left over chilli provided lunch the day after with some pitta bread for 2 and the tuna made sandwiches

Edited by ali

Someone suggested I read this because it is such an incredible original post and I didn't believe them. I only got to page 8. How can anyone pay that much for food unless they buy from Harrods in London? Kids don't like the cerials here! Well tough, they need them so give them a choice of vitabrits or porridge - the two healthiest breakfast cerials there are anywhere in the world. Baked beans is good but that should be with some mashed potatoes and sausages for dinner. Make sure they eat one piece of fruit a day, vegetables, small amount of meat and wholegrain wholemeal bread. Tip Top does it and nearly always on offer in IGA (this week) or Coles or Woolworths at 2 for $6. I hated vegimite when I arrived - wanted my Marmite and now I'm the other way around. Time you taught your kids to try and be more adaptable! Only buy specials at IGA, find the weekend markets when your OH is available to help with kids, involve the kids with prices when buying. Make a game of it if necessary - tell them to come up with dinners to buy for under a certain amount. Feed them heaps of fresh vegetables at night and cut out the steak. Roast a big chicken and only use half, use more in stir fry next night and then mix all the rest of bits with stuffing mix, onion and potato and makde into rissoles and fry. Be adventurous and try kangaroo steak as it's better for you and cheaper. And stop giving them snacks and crap for lunch boxes! Most mueseli bars are full of sugar. Ever thought of giving them some hard boiled eggs or eggs/mayonaisse sandwiches or cheese and pickle sandwiches along with some carrot sticks and a banana, apple or pear? Are you looking out for websites with cheap meals on them. Make it your quest to reduce your food bills and stop being so damn selfish in accepting neighbours offers of meals without reciprocating. Most people manage to survive very healthily on half your income. And I simply do not believe that your neighbour is spending that much on food either - a lot of one-upmanship going on there.

Bell I take it you've never been down under, to say you would go without a car and then you want to explore the great out doors....? It's not like England here , can't go any where with out wheels... Take the tinted glasses offf

Yes I have been down under. Perth was no problem without a car as the public system we found was fairly good. Okay if we wanted to go visit bunbury, etc etc we would need a car. I said I enjoy the outdoors didn't say I needed to explore the great out doors, I would be happy sitting in Kings Park, or a beach accessible by public transport. I know people with cars in oz and I know people without cars in oz. It is manageable depending on your location not everyone needs a car! Handy but not always needed!

Yes I have been down under. Perth was no problem without a car as the public system we found was fairly good. Okay if we wanted to go visit bunbury, etc etc we would need a car. I said I enjoy the outdoors didn't say I needed to explore the great out doors, I would be happy sitting in Kings Park, or a beach accessible by public transport. I know people with cars in oz and I know people without cars in oz. It is manageable depending on your location not everyone needs a car! Handy but not always needed!

How do you get the shopping back from the supermarket when it's 45..... ? Be funny to see .. And don't forge we've been told to shop around to keep prices down, I'm sure it's a couple of km walk to the markets from a bus stop...

Guest The Pom Queen
How do you get the shopping back from the supermarket when it's 45..... ? Be funny to see .. And don't forge we've been told to shop around to keep prices down, I'm sure it's a couple of km walk to the markets from a bus stop...

Guess what they do online shopping in Perth and on a wage of $220k they can afford just to shop at Coles or Woolworths

The bottom line is for some people the cars important for others it's not. We don't have one right now I could get one on credit I don't want to. I'm not sure why people are so defensive, I'm sure it might suit them better to conclude that we are **** at household management or blowing the kids pocket money on jimmy choo's. Justifies their own decisions maybe.

Spoilt as my children maybe it hardly makes the transition to a new country easier when they are faced with unfamiliar foods, even the brands you recognise often don't taste the same so if buying an eight year old who's travelled to the other side of the world leaving all she knows behind her cornflakes over a boiled egg is indulgent hey shoot me. I'm quite sure that we could survive on $50,000 if we had to but since we don't have to we won't. The budget has been rejigged other purchases put on the back burner because food costs more than we expected.

If this information helps somebody else to budget accordingly then 22 pages of **** slinging will have all been worth while. Over and out.

Edited by PomPrincesses

You order online and only get what you need. Subiaco markets are held on Station St - funnily enough, right next door to a railway station.

Perth can easily be managed without a car. I did it for a year.

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh and just to add my mother is 65 years old and has managed without a car, she shops monthly and gets a taxi back she then walks up 4 flights of stairs to her apartment, so yes it is possible, it's just that people with cars tend to forget how to use public transport, I must admit I would struggle to do what she does.

Going back to the family I mentioned they live a 10 minute walk from the shopping centre and with the kids they help carry the shopping home, so yes it CAN be done if you have to

I lived in Adelaide for 6 years without a car. It's doable - even in 40+ heat. And it's much easier now with online supermarket shopping.