Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301
I paid $8 for a large plate of pork mince, noodles & rice with chilli in a little cafe over the road from my unit tonight.

Rip off!

Gosh, that seems a lot for rent and food. We live 15km out of town in the southern suburbs and rentals here are about 400$ to 450$ a week. In fact my son has just found a rental for him and 2 friends for 420$. We are 3 adults, eat well, but rarely eat out, and I spend an average of 200$ a week buying at Woolies. Maybe look at moving to a cheaper suburb, I have a friend in Sydney and when she visited Perth a few months ago, she thought food was slightly more expensive here, the rents are very high there too and the closer to the city the more expensive, salaries are higher in Perth and the quality of life is certainly superior than the one in Sydney.

Edited by sami
add

If your hubby is on $140,000 and you are on $80,000 and you are struggling to get by in Perth you will struggle to get by anywhere. They are brilliant salaries and you must be doing something wrong.

what like, not 'living within your means'?:wub: sorry I couldn't help it :jiggy:

Gosh, that seems a lot for rent and food. We live 15km out of town in the southern suburbs and rentals here are about 400$ to 450$ a week. In fact my son has just found a rental for him and 2 friends for 420$. We are 3 adults, eat well, but rarely eat out, and I spend an average of 200$ a week buying at Woolies. Maybe look at moving to a cheaper suburb, I have a friend in Sydney and when she visited Perth a few months ago, she thought food was slightly more expensive here, the rents are very high there too and the closer to the city the more expensive, salaries are higher in Perth and the quality of life is certainly superior than the one in Sydney.

I suppose in the sense that some people prefer to live in 'California', but if you are used to 'The Big Apple' experience, then you have to live in Sydney!

what like, not 'living within your means'?:wub: sorry I couldn't help it :jiggy:

Which is rather missing the point.

If we were up to our eyes in debt as a result then we wouldn't be living within our means. We are doing exactly that and are experiencing a lower quality of life as a result. This may or may not be short term pain for long term gain, only time will tell. 19 pages of stupid comments peppered with the odd relevant answer though says all you need to know about this forum. If new residents can afford salt take the advice on here with a large pinch.

Guest The Pom Queen
Which is rather missing the point.

If we were up to our eyes in debt as a result then we wouldn't be living within our means. We are doing exactly that and are experiencing a lower quality of life as a result. This may or may not be short term pain for long term gain, only time will tell. 19 pages of stupid comments peppered with the odd relevant answer though says all you need to know about this forum. If new residents can afford salt take the advice on here with a large pinch.

Excuse me but to knock a forum with over 60,000 members based on comments of just a few is another generalisation.

I know a family of 6 who survive very well on $45k per year, I can't remember the exact amount you earn but telling people you go to bed hungry when earning over $200k+ to me needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

There might be a few non relevant answers but I think these are mostly due to shock. A lot of people have tried to offer advice or ideas. Esp when you said previously sometimes you can't eat properly in order for the kids to eat. Lots of people came up with suggestions on how to ensure you all eat properly on a lower amount. People in general are trying to help but I think some people might think it is a kind of joke as they are unsure on your guys income why you are struggling. None of us know the in and outs of what you spend your money on and thats your business, but to be blunt the $700 a week is huge and the most on this thread have tried to suggest to reduce it. Maybe that way you wont feel like you have no money if you have more in your pocket from your food bill. In regards to your very first question is sydney and cheaper then Perth on our trip earlier this year we went both places and I personally found Sydney more expensive but then I was only comparing food/transport and day trips as a base. Not including income or property.

Excuse me but to knock a forum with over 60,000 members based on comments of just a few is another generalisation.

I know a family of 6 who survive very well on $45k per year, I can't remember the exact amount you earn but telling people you go to bed hungry when earning over $200k+ to me needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

A family of 6 on 45000 dollars....? You got tonbr kidding.. I'm guessing no rent, no morgauge no car etc etc

Guest JK2510

:notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen
A family of 6 on 45000 dollars....? You got tonbr kidding.. I'm guessing no rent, no morgauge no car etc etc

No they don't have a car because they can't afford one and they rent a house in not a great area BUT this is what I'm saying people can manage if they want, it's just these days people look at luxuries as essentials.

It's a bit of an odd one that not perhaps need to be taken with a pinch of salt. It was rather unfair to comment on the assistance many folk did indeed try and offer. I felt it was almost sneering at them...perhaps with an inflated sense of importance? I mean $220,000 or whatever one can hardly be wanting. Why do folk think someone has any interest in what they earn I wonder? I do doubt if it was for real........

I can recall the time it was regarded as extremely crass to speak about money in England. That was an American thing. Whatever happened? I suspect this thread had completed its use....

Pomprincesses - It can be very difficult to express yourself without visual cues and it is easy to give an incorrect impression when communicating only in print with people you don't know. I have assumed that this is the reason some of your replies have come across as a bit arrogant and dismissive. I found. your joke about 'recipes for gruel' about ten pages back rather odd given your own claims to be going to bed hungry. No wonder people think your whole thread is a wind up!

Curiosity got the better of me when I noticed this thread was still going - cant believe the argument is still grumbling on. To anyone genuinely worried about the cost of living in Australia I would recommend a two month holiday in a rental property. Its amazing how quickly you catch on.

No they don't have a car because they can't afford one and they rent a house in not a great area BUT this is what I'm saying people can manage if they want, it's just these days people look at luxuries as essentials.

Fair point but your not going to move from the uk to put your self in that position,

Guest The Pom Queen
Fair point but your not going to move from the uk to put your self in that position,

And why not, every family I know wants what is best for their children no matter the costs/sacrifices.

And why not, every family I know wants what is best for their children no matter the costs/sacrifices.

I would sacrifice car and items I did not need (instead of want) if it meant a potentially better opportunity for my kid/s to grow up when they are older. I would accept a job on lower income for the opportunity of at least spending some of the year enjoying the great outdoors. This summer in the north of the UK I can recall only two days we have been able to take a picnic. Other days we go out to play sport such as tennis and it rains on us. End up spending most of the time stuck in doors or spending money on expensive in door activities or museams we have seen 20 times. I would make the sacrifice.

Guest lisa crowe
We came here for my job which hasn't really worked out and I want to leave after just 4 weeks.

So rather than look for another role in Perth I am seriously considering reverting to the original plan which was to go to Sydney.

In Perth I am paying $650 a week for a quite run down house in a really good suburb about 30 from the city. Food prices are mental, 5 of us one is a baby and breast fed thank god, still spending $700 a week on food and if I am honest DH and I go to bed hungry at times because we've just run out.

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000, might be able to command a bit more and a car in my next role - didn't know that when applying from the UK.

Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received.

**** me!!!!! What the chuff are you eating? Gold??? We're a family of 3 and manage really well on $67000, pluse my iccle part time job....I think you need a course in how to manage a house hun...$220,000 between you and you can't manage!!! ...Excuse me while I chuckle me way outta here...................

I would sacrifice car and items I did not need (instead of want) if it meant a potentially better opportunity for my kid/s to grow up when they are older. I would accept a job on lower income for the opportunity of at least spending some of the year enjoying the great outdoors. This summer in the north of the UK I can recall only two days we have been able to take a picnic. Other days we go out to play sport such as tennis and it rains on us. End up spending most of the time stuck in doors or spending money on expensive in door activities or museams we have seen 20 times. I would make the sacrifice.

Bell I take it you've never been down under, to say you would go without a car and then you want to explore the great out doors....? It's not like England here , can't go any where with out wheels... Take the tinted glasses offf

I'd be careful believing too much of the hype about "better opportunities for the kids to grow up when they are older" too. This has a lot more to do with the choices individual families and kids make than where they live. Bored, disengaged and sedentary kids don't suddenly become rosy cheeked, caring, intelligent and golden haired surfies as a magical result of moving country

Have you ever lived in oz? If not you are in fir a rude awakening.

**** me!!!!! What the chuff are you eating? Gold??? We're a family of 3 and manage really well on $67000, pluse my iccle part time job....I think you need a course in how to manage a house hun...$220,000 between you and you can't manage!!! ...Excuse me while I chuckle me way outta here...................

Yo live on 67k? Are you renting? I earned almost that as a single bloke and struggled..how the ell do you manage?

Guest lisa crowe
Yo live on 67k? Are you renting? I earned almost that as a single bloke and struggled..how the ell do you manage?

Yep we rent....we have $1012 a week coming in ( not including my pt job) and $560 going out on rent and bills + $150 groceries + $250 just for weekly spends + $50 we stash.....Weekly out goings =$1010 :)