Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Nicky Nook for your list of meat prices. We were beginning to worry about our forthcoming holiday! Interesting observation Jackboots - last time we were in Oz (2plus years ago) we did a lot of self catering and shopped at a supermarket chain. We definitely noticed prices varied in different branches of the same supermarket in Tasmania, Adelaide, Melbourne and Bondi. We thought we had just imagined it because, being on holiday, we werent exactly wandering about noting down the prices in a little black book.

What's wrong with me? Why do I find this sort of stuff SO tedious? Out with my Pommie and Paddy mates tonight, we all bought each other drinks, bought our dinners, and talked about the stuff that really matters - the forthcoming EPL season, the Olympics, AFL, what we did over the weekend. Even when we've got no money, nobody cares about how much it costs in Coles/Woolies/IGA, etc.

What's wrong with me? Why do I find this sort of stuff SO tedious? Out with my Pommie and Paddy mates tonight, we all bought each other drinks, bought our dinners, and talked about the stuff that really matters - the forthcoming EPL season, the Olympics, AFL, what we did over the weekend. Even when we've got no money, nobody cares about how much it costs in Coles/Woolies/IGA, etc.

That'll be why you've got no money then ;-)

seriously I didn't care 5 years ago and then I had a family and whilst you can ask a mate to sub you a few drinks if you're broke people tend to raise an eyebrow if youve no money to feed the children.

But don't you find it interesting to discover why someone is spending $700 a week on groceries and going to bed hungry while the rest of Perth, including those of us in the Western Suburbs who therefore have more expensive groceries (if the theory is correct) -and buy premium meat and free range chook - only spend less than $300 and have full tummies?

"As for making bread pudding, I know how, but since we don't have desert at the moment I fail to see how an additional meal is going to save me money. Nobody would want to eat it anyway tbh."

I was trying to think of suggestions to help you cut the food cost. However I never mentioned bread pudding :err:

That'll be why you've got no money then ;-)

seriously I didn't care 5 years ago and then I had a family and whilst you can ask a mate to sub you a few drinks if you're broke people tend to raise an eyebrow if youve no money to feed the children.

I economise in other areas, drive an 18 yo old car, buy all my clothes in charity shops, don't take holidays. The last three years I have actually been doing it tough, with very little work and no right to dole but I paid off my mortgage years ago.

Actually Bell1 it was me that mentioned bread pudding - as an example of the sort of trad recipes that have always been used to stretch food ....

I would normally never dream of suggesting possible menu items but if someone is going to bed hungry ...........

Actually Bell1 it was me that mentioned bread pudding - as an example of the sort of trad recipes that have always been used to stretch food ....

I would normally never dream of suggesting possible menu items but if someone is going to bed hungry ...........

:rolleyes: I thought I was going mad, as it was quoted with my message. I agree it is not right going to bed hungry, hence my suggestions to bring costs down.

In original reply to is it cheaper in Sydney then Perth food wise I did not see much difference to be honest (However was only there for a month)

Can you imagine being in the top 20% of salary bracket and being told to eat cheap cuts of meat and bread pudding in the UK ? Sure some people might chose to but it would be a choice not a serious proposition. People need to have their eyes open. I would recommend that people do a pretend online weekly shop before they come out. I'm not saying we wouldn't have made the move but we would have had a more realistic budget.

So have we concluded Sydney is about the same or not in all the **** slinging ?

Please dont come to Sydney I dont think u would like it here, it is a lot more expensive I have lived here 4 years. I don't think anywhere in Australia is cheap.

I cannot understand how you spend so much money on food, my family of 5 adults (I class my 3 teenage kids as adults) do not spend that much money its scary to think u spend that.

I think a lot of people reading feel sick that someone who earns a good bit of money is finding it hard and that you go to bed hungry.

Reading all the cooments on here I think everyone is saying the same, you need to cut back a bit ,buy the cheaper things, if you keep living to your standards then I;m very sorry but I dont think you will last long anywhere in Australia...

I'm not stupid has you pointed out to someone else on here. I thought was very rude.

No one else seems to go hungry on this page, so I would say we can't all be wrong so soething must be very wrong somewhere

I really hope you and you family settle soon , and GOOD LUCK YOU WILL NEED IT

Do you have 4 children ? How much is your rent ?

I have 2 children 17 and almost 13 the latter who is never filled and eats like a horse. I have a mortgage and live in an area were the median house prices is over $500,000. Our joint salary is not much over what you've given for your OH. My daughters year 12 school fees were extoritionate this year compared to other years with books etc. so I appreciate that we all have different out goings, however, I have always been honest in my posts when people have asked about how much things cost (you seemed to have suggested that posters weren't honest when doing your research), as I see that as being helpful for people thinking about making the move. Whilst I find it hard to comprehend you spending $700 on groceries (I accept this is your experience) but from the replies on this thread, that would seem to the the exception rather than the norm.

Edited by ali

Can you imagine being in the top 20% of salary bracket and being told to eat cheap cuts of meat and bread pudding in the UK ?

So have we concluded Sydney is about the same or not in all the **** slinging ?

I wouldn't class a leg of lamb, whole chicken or stir fry beef as cheap and nasty cuts of meat - but certainly capable of feeding 4 for $10. And also the type of food children like.

Sydney and Perth both rank in the top 20 most expensive world cities in a recent ranking - Perth 19th and Sydney 11th so I don't think it would be any easier there.

What's wrong with me? Why do I find this sort of stuff SO tedious? ...Even when we've got no money, nobody cares about how much it costs in Coles/Woolies/IGA, etc.

But you have only yourself to worry about. :biggrin: It's different when you have little ones dependent on you ...and/or a grumpy spouse if he's not being fed.

It's food for thought excuse the pun. Nobody relocates to be in a worse position and maybe when we've found our feet the bills will come down.

I do have other reasons for considering a move to Sydney so we will weigh it all up.

Thanks to those who actually answered the question rather than providing recipes for gruel

Can you imagine being in the top 20% of salary bracket and being told to eat cheap cuts of meat

I just thought to add...the cheapest cuts of meat are actually the tastiest if cooked correctly. (Ask the French). An electric slow cooker and some recipes (collected from the web if you don't want to buy a recipe book) is an absolute boon. You can prepare the meal early in the day, they use very little electricity to run...and dinner is ready without having to fuss around at "cactus hour" when everyone is tired and grizzly. Win win all round.

Edited by Skani

Thanks to those who actually answered the question rather than providing recipes for gruel

I thought people were trying to be genuinely helpful when they offerred advice on things to cook (especially when you suggested that you and your OH were going without/not having enough food). I didn't read that they were giving you recipes for gruel ... it's a little sad that you did. My apologies though if your comment was said in jest as sometimes humour is lost when writing replies.

Edited by ali

I just thought to add...the cheapest cuts of meat are actually the tastiest if cooked correctly. (Ask the French). An electric slow cooker and some recipes (collected from the web if you don't want to buy a recipe book) is an absolute boon. You can prepare the meal early in the day, they use very little electricity to run...and dinner is ready without having to fuss around at "cactus hour" when everyone is tired and grisly. Win win all round.

Slow cookers are fantastic, even the cheapest cut of meat comes out lovely. I always do my roast beef in the slow cooker with onion soup mix and water. It just falls apart when cooked and is so tasty and not dry. To me they are a life saver, just like you said bung it on in the morning and you have a great meal,

Just as an aside, we only used to spend approx $900 a month for a family of four in Perth. Here in Canada I can get away with apprx $700, and my girls are adults.

Cheers

Karen

$220000 per year you should be living like kings we as a family of 4 have half that ammount and live a very good life with a bit of money left over every month . Dont want to be nosey but did u have that sort of income in uk and manage ok.We usually spend 300 ish per week on food with 2 ravenous teenagers. Wife just did an online shop <asda > and was a little cheaper but not mega bucks compared to coles.

$220000 per year you should be living like kings we as a family of 4 have half that ammount and live a very good life with a bit of money left over every month . Dont want to be nosey but did u have that sort of income in uk and manage ok.We usually spend 300 ish per week on food with 2 ravenous teenagers. Wife just did an online shop <asda > and was a little cheaper but not mega bucks compared to coles.

In the UK we had a combined income of £60k, 2 kids at private school, a £200k mortgage and yes managed just fine. It's all a bit of a shock tbh.

Dont know which suburb your in we are down in mandurah but rentals much cheaper down here. is husband doing fly in fly out to make that wage maybe you need to see financial advisor and see if you can claim any centre link /rental assistance /family tax benefit you shouldnt be struggeling on that sort of money