Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

Guest guest17301

If a family of 5 are spending $1000 a week then they must be eating very well, i don't live in Australia so am not qualified to say really but that just seem's ludicrous.

Eating well?? thats enough to pay for a chef to prepare it for you too Andy....

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, every Aussie I gave discussed this with tells me they budget a grand a week for food and if it comes in less they are delighted.

This must be Perth. I know of no one who budgets that much for food. Given that the median household income in the 2011 census was $1234, most households would be unable to spend anywhere near a grand on food.

Guest Mystery^Customer1974

Well my last comment on this for today is

The bloody fair must be in town because not even clowns would spend that much on shopping without having their conscience tapping on their shoulder in utter disgust.

Please list those items you shopped for with individual prices so we can all see what not to buy it would be of great assistance to us all to avoid cleaning cloths sponges or bleach costing $50 each product

that is all.

Many thanks.

Isolation? Did you research that before you came here? You are not contributing at all to the op! What is the point of your post? Start your own thread re going back! You are generalizing re people going down south or to Bali! I wish you luck on your return!

Point of my post, I'm open and honest , have a nice holiday ' down south '

There are some seriously ridiculous figures being bandied about.

I live in Sydney - in the eastern suburbs which is not particularly cheap. Until recently I was feeding 4 adults - three of them fully-grown men. I spent on average $300 - $350 a week on food. Now it's just me and the OH - we spend around $150.

Think about it - meat costs say $10-15 for enough to feed 4. Vegetables/pasta/rice costs say $10. Add some dessert $5. So you'd pay around $30 tops for dinner for 4. Add another $20 a day for breakfast/lunches for everyone. Total is $50 a day or $350 a week.

Even if everyone was eating fillet steak or smoked salmon it would be hard to hit $500 a week (let alone $700 or $1000.)

Hi,

Ive only read up to pay 6 but thoughts are:

Can you write down a diary listing what you buy and the cost and then after a week look back at it and reflect ont it to see what can be changed.

$700 is the same as $100 per day maybe instead of doing a weekly shop do a twice a week shop and look for special offers. I think I remember when I was in Coles earlier this year they did a feed your family for x amount and showed cheap recipe ideas. Not sure if they still do that. IGA I also remember being more expensive then Coles unless they had special offers on.

Go to butchers for meat. I remember when I was in Sydney earlier this year it was a lot cheaper to buy from the butcher for meat and the selection was also better.

Drop a band level, instead of maybe premium or semi premium brands drop a brand as this could save money.

Maybe list a breakdown of a weeks shop on here and others can suggest the cheaper place to buy the products from?

I am sure with determination the $700 can be reduced a lot.

Good luck :)

Well my last comment on this for today is

The bloody fair must be in town because not even clowns would spend that much on shopping without having their conscience tapping on their shoulder in utter disgust.

Please list those items you shopped for with individual prices so we can all see what not to buy it would be of great assistance to us all to avoid cleaning cloths sponges or bleach costing $50 each product

that is all.

Many thanks.

Hilarious, people buy what they/want/need can afford I guess. We cannot afford this in the long term hence my asking the question. But thanks for your contribution. Very helpful.

A final word from me, pomprincesses. As someone has already said. eating cheap neednt mean eating crap. I mentioned lentils - take on board the concept of vegetarian food, and non- processed food. The most helpful thing I ever read was a cookery article which pointed out that the fish in fish fingers costs the same per pound as the fresh salmon. Process your own food. Folk recipes are mostly ways to make more of small amounts of food. Buy a slow cooker and cook tougher cuts. Learn to make schnitzel. Learn to make bread pudding. Learn.

I have never eaten rubbish, but by golly I've eaten wisely!

Hi,

Ive only read up to pay 6 but thoughts are:

Can you write down a diary listing what you buy and the cost and then after a week look back at it and reflect ont it to see what can be changed.

$700 is the same as $100 per day maybe instead of doing a weekly shop do a twice a week shop and look for special offers. I think I remember when I was in Coles earlier this year they did a feed your family for x amount and showed cheap recipe ideas. Not sure if they still do that. IGA I also remember being more expensive then Coles unless they had special offers on.

Go to butchers for meat. I remember when I was in Sydney earlier this year it was a lot cheaper to buy from the butcher for meat and the selection was also better.

Drop a band level, instead of maybe premium or semi premium brands drop a brand as this could save money.

Maybe list a breakdown of a weeks shop on here and others can suggest the cheaper place to buy the products from?

I am sure with determination the $700 can be reduced a lot.

Good luck :)

I hear what you are saying , but drop down a level in quality when you don't even know which brands are nice/ that you like ? I simply cannot be a brand snob here because none mean a thing to me. As for $10 of meat feeding 4 people I am sorry but that simply is not true, it just isn't. As for making bread pudding, I know how, but since we don't have desert at the moment I fail to see how an additional meal is going to save me money. Nobody would want to eat it anyway tbh.

Edited by PomPrincesses

Guest guest17301
I hear what you are saying , but drop down a level in quality when you don't even know which brands are nice/ that you like ? I simply cannot be a brand snob here because known of them mean a thing to me. As for $10 of meat feeding 4 people I am sorry but that simply is not true, it just isn't.

and there we have it...we buy gravy beef, you buy fillet steak, we buy $6 a kg minced beef, you buy...Goodness knows what...we buy a large chicken to feed 4 costing $10 (our dinner tonight) you buy the one I saw that cost $35..free range, organic, rspca rated, gold plated one....

It is true, for me and many others at least....$10 buys the meat for one meal..not every meal..but everyday ones yes....

and before you say it..Im not knocking your choice to buy whatever you like but I am purporting that your spending/shopping habits are the exception not the rule....

Edited by guest17301

This must be Perth. I know of no one who budgets that much for food. Given that the median household income in the 2011 census was $1234, most households would be unable to spend anywhere near a grand on food.

Not saying the census is wrong but how many of them brought property years ago for next to nothing now sitting with little or no mortgage. Look 600 bucks a week in the face for rent or mortgage and 1234 bucks can't be lived on

As for $10 of meat feeding 4 people I am sorry but that simply is not true, it just isn't.

It is quite possible. A leg of lamb roast - which is not particularly cheap meat at the moment - can be bought for $20. That would certainly feed 4 people for at least 2 meals.

Not saying the census is wrong but how many of them brought property years ago for next to nothing now sitting with little or no mortgage. Look 600 bucks a week in the face for rent or mortgage and 1234 bucks can't be lived on

I was disputing that everyone considered $1000 a week for food as the norm. Even if you have paid off the mortgage you couldn't afford a grand a week for food.

one kilo of premium mince beef in Woolsworth this week 0 $11.99. Are you guys obese or something - 1 kilo is easily a meal for four adults. Pack of homebrand spaghetti 74cents. Tinned toms 74c One onion Spag bol for four adults less than $15. . Add a yogurt each and there's a meal for $20.

Whole fresh free range chook is $13 - feeds a family no probs. - unless you are all obese.

As for $10 of meat feeding 4 people I am sorry but that simply is not true, it just isn't.

Meat prices from Woolworths Online (all more than enough to feed four people for one meal):

[TABLE=width: 216]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][TABLE=width: 216]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]525g premium mince[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6.29[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]800g rump steak[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15.14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]800g pork fillet[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]13.18[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Half leg lamb[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]15.58[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2k chicken[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]10.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Organic lamb sausages (12)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Average price $11.86.

one kilo of premium mince beef in Woolsworth this week 0 $11.99. Are you guys obese or something - 1 kilo is easily a meal for four adults. Pack of homebrand spaghetti 74cents. Tinned toms 74c One onion Spag bol for four adults less than $15. . Add a yogurt each and there's a meal for $20.

Whole fresh free range chook is $13 - feeds a family no probs. - unless you are all obese.

So that's not $10 is it unless you are really thick, are you really thick ?

Hi

I can't say about prices in Sydney as have never lived there but we have lived in both WA and QLD. I found no difference in price with our food shopping, rent or utilities.

We are a family of 5 and we spend around 200.00 + a week depending on what I need to buy as this would include washing powders etc.

I buy meat at the butchers as I find it cheaper and better quality, we do not eat meat every day and this is by choice not because we can not afford it.

I try to bake our own cakes etc and get the kids involved in this, they enjoy cooking and they need to learn the skills.

If we have a roast then I use the left overs to make another meal for the following evening.

I love the $120 food challenge, you can find out more about it here http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.com/

You can grow lots of your own things to eat in pots, herbs, toms, chilli's etc

I do miss my French garden and growing my own veg and salads.

:wubclub:

Guest Mystery^Customer1974

Couldn't resist after seeing more posts on here

Your local shopkeepers must rub their hands together and re-price-label everything when you enter the store don't you realise you are paying for the greedy shopkeepers next holiday to Bali on your own!

Listen up folks prices here don't make people nearly go to bed hungry simply not true

Don't worry too much about prices there are enough places to shop to get food a reasonsble prices that is unless you fill your fridge by shopping at The Boatshed each time you shop!

Can you imagine being in the top 20% of salary bracket and being told to eat cheap cuts of meat and bread pudding in the UK ? Sure some people might chose to but it would be a choice not a serious proposition. People need to have their eyes open. I would recommend that people do a pretend online weekly shop before they come out. I'm not saying we wouldn't have made the move but we would have had a more realistic budget.

So have we concluded Sydney is about the same or not in all the **** slinging ?

Guest The Pom Queen
Can you imagine being in the top 20% of salary bracket and being told to eat cheap cuts of meat and bread pudding in the UK ? Sure some people might chose to but it would be a choice not a serious proposition. People need to have their eyes open. I would recommend that people do a pretend online weekly shop before they come out. I'm not saying we wouldn't have made the move but we would have had a more realistic budget.

So have we concluded Sydney is about the same or not in all the **** slinging ?

Everyone eats differently, my kids would probably live off beans and toast and chocolate spread sandwiches if they could now that would be a cheap shop. Personally, I think Sydney will be more expensive

Just a thought on food prices here in WA , i have been told a long time ago that the shops charge differently in different areas .. ie Maybe your shopping would cost more at a woolworths in Subiaco for instance compared to a subburb a bit further out .. i do wonder if thats true .

Unfortunatly here in Wait a While we don't have the choices of shops that over East do , but after getting used to it i save all the flyers ( which in the uk i binned asap ) and do buy the specials at certain shops .. fill up the freezer and i also use the Spudshed :)

It's very hard for some people to shop around and for some they don't want to even have the hassle .. re work/ family etc

maybe the longer opening hours may help as well .