Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

You see if we moved interstate now it would be a case of repacki g the suitcases where as if we left it until say after Christmas it'll be aot more expensive. We are starting to acquire things and I'll have to tell the shipping company in the uk where I want it sending to pretty quickly too.

It does feel a bit now or never, I like Perth but feel a bit like I am payi g a premium because of the mining bubble which we aren't involved in, that said we like the weather a lot too and not paying for schools on the 457

Please don't take offence but your joint salaries are way about ours and I can't understand why you're struggling

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think what you like that is how we feel right now, not even had a bill through the door yet and hubby and I are going without food to make sure the kids don't.

In comparison I doubt I ever spent £200 in tesco's even at Christmas so I don't think we have ridiculously expensive tastes.

I love that you can come on this forum to ask advice and within 4 pages are called a liar. Charming.

Hi and welcome.

I would think very hard about moving to Sydney, Its a lot more expensive here for a lot of things. Renting a house a lot of my friends rent houses here and they live in shoe boxes but like me they want to live by the beach, most rented places by the sea are going to cost at 800 to 900 a week. Then you have to travel to the city thats not just the petrol thats the time factor, it take 50 mins to get to the city everday and then you have to walk to your place of work when getting off the train,its a long day at work living here in Sydney. I spend about 400 dollars a week on food and I have 3 teenage kids that eat a lot of food.

I have a lot of friends and family that live in Prth and they all say its a lot cheaper there than here. I hope things get better for you....

Guest Guest26012
Do you have 4 children ? How much is your rent ?

You have a huge wage coming in and I struggle to understand why you are struggling? Some folks would give anything to have your income! Your food bill is extravagant, to say the

least? Are you winding us up?

I can't comment on Sydney as we live in Melbourne but from what I understand Sydney is much more expensive rent wise than melb. But I can give you our numbers on everything else.

Your earnings are much more than ours and we do perfectly well. We eat fresh every night as my hubby on a healt kick so always fresh and we would spend about $200 per week. Our 1 year old eats almost as much as I do!!! To get set up is always going to be expensive but hopefully your bills should come down once your pantry is stocked.

Our rent is $450 per week and we ate about 15 mins from cbd ( but as said earlier, sydney is more expensive)and day care of almost $90 per day (with virtually no assistance from centre link).

You will find your own ways to budget and become comfortable and to be happy. After one month brands are still unfamiliar to you and what's good, bad or tolerable will come with time.

Sydney may be easier as statistically there are more Coles stores which should stop your visits to

IGA which is expensive.

To be honest Australia is not cheap

And this can come as a shock but you do get used to it!

Guest guest17301
A lot of the problem I guess is that we have limited cooking facilities In the rental house and so things we would do like make a shepherds pie and frees half pad it out with quorn mince that kind of thing isn't really an option. I don't want to fall into the trap of buying poor quality food so prefer to buy fresh but less of it, I know of people who eat and feed their kids nothi g but Iceland stuff and manage on £40 a week but that's not for me.

Is there no oven in your 650 a week rental???

In addition cheap food doesnt mean crap food, in fact the frozen rubbish is generally more expensive, at least here it is....a lot of people manage really well on much less than your quoted figures, we do, and I certainly dont eat rubbish neither do I cook every meal from scratch...

Edited by guest17301

I can't comment on Sydney as we live in Melbourne but from what I understand Sydney is much more expensive rent wise than melb. But I can give you our numbers on everything else.

Your earnings are much more than ours and we do perfectly well. We eat fresh every night as my hubby on a healt kick so always fresh and we would spend about $200 per week. Our 1 year old eats almost as much as I do!!! To get set up is always going to be expensive but hopefully your bills should come down once your pantry is stocked.

Our rent is $450 per week and we ate about 15 mins from cbd ( but as said earlier, sydney is more expensive)and day care of almost $90 per day (with virtually no assistance from centre link).

You will find your own ways to budget and become comfortable and to be happy. After one month brands are still unfamiliar to you and what's good, bad or tolerable will come with time.

Sydney may be easier as statistically there are more Coles stores which should stop your visits to

IGA which is expensive.

To be honest Australia is not cheap

And this can come as a shock but you do get used to it!

I know a lad from Melbourne and a lad from south Australia And both say that Perth is 30% dearer in everything compared to their cities. Both are leaving soon because it's too dear here. That's 2 Australian as well

Hi, we're a family of 5, who arrived in perth 2 months ago. Yes in the beginning I was very shocked at the price of food compared to the UK. First few shops over $300 per week as buying toiletries, cleaning and stocking up cupboards of essentials. Now about $150 to $200 per week, discovered the markets for all fresh fuit n veg, saves a fortune. We're paying $650/wk rent for a decent house in decent area.

Stick it out it will get better.

Guest Guest26012
I know a lad from Melbourne and a lad from south Australia And both say that Perth is 30% dearer in everything compared to their cities. Both are leaving soon because it's too dear here. That's 2 Australian as well

Perth may be expensive but the op was quoting huge wages and a huge food bill, way above the norm! for $750 a week for food that's so unreal! And to say that the adults go hungry is beyond belief! I don't believe it for one minute! Come shopping with me and I could cut that bill in half!

Thats interesting, I don't know if there's any true way of comparing but it feels more expensive.

The fact is I want to stay in Australia for the long term and if we can't make the numbers work its going to be a miserable experience.

As for those who think I am winding them up, I'm sorry if you think we are earning a kings random and you're not but that's not relevant. I have had my fair share of crap jobs as has DH and our fair share of bad luck with shares and property so we are due a bit of ccomfort and you can't blame me for thinking we'd be ok on the salaries we are earns g. It's been a bit of a shock to say the least.

I cannot get my head around how people are spending $200 a week. I did an online shop last week for loo roll, cleaner, one meal, snacks for lunch boxes and milk $200

I can't wait to decamp else where either. Still need another twenty months though. The OP shops at IGA which is very pricey. We have one here in inner city Leederville which is open from 7am to 10pm which is very good for Perth but it comes at a definate cost. Probably a quarter more than other stores depending on item.

I can't wait to decamp else where either. Still need another twenty months though. The OP shops at IGA which is very pricey. We have one here in inner city Leederville which is open from 7am to 10pm which is very good for Perth but it comes at a definate cost. Probably a quarter more than other stores depending on item.

Where are you planning to move to ?

Guest Guest26012

Thats interesting, I don't know if there's any true way of comparing but it feels more expensive.

The fact is I want to stay in Australia for the long term and if we can't make the numbers work its going to be a miserable experience.

As for those who think I am winding them up, I'm sorry if you think we are earning a kings random and you're not but that's not relevant. I have had my fair share of crap jobs as has DH and our fair share of bad luck with shares and property so we are due a bit of ccomfort and you can't blame me for thinking we'd be ok on the salaries we are earns g. It's been a bit of a shock to say the least.

I cannot get my head around how people are spending $200 a week. I did an online shop last week for loo roll, cleaner, one meal, snacks for lunch boxes and milk $200

You are earning a lot of money in comparison to lots of people here! How can you say the above items in your quote cost $200! Stop shopping online and go do it your self! Go to the markets for fruit and veg, go to the meat markets and fish markets! Cook with fresh ingredients! I can't be bothered to work out your weekly income but even with your rent it's still a lot of money! What do you buy to have such a huge grocery bill? I'm still struggling TBH to understand!

Guest guest17301

That's ridiculous, what was the meal? The snacks? Ive just guestimated and I couldnt get that over 100 even if we were eating fillet steak!!...

Guest guest17301

PP no one on this forum could take issue with the amount you earn, thats your business, but you've chosen to share it with us and now we question just why you cant survive...heck..thrive on that amount?

I know where your coming from, I'm on a plane in November and it can't come quick enough. I have found WA just so expensive , but the thing that really has got to me and doesn't seem to be discussed much is the isolation here . We really are in the arse end of nowhere . People only seem to go down south or bail. To think your only going to see 3 places in your life .... Well........ Can't understand it all. The best bit of advice I would give is to make sure you have money left every week to make sure you can fly out of WA to get some breathing space. Average price of a flight is 500 dollars per person

Guest guest17301

You are earning a lot of money in comparison to lots of people here! How can you say the above items in your quote cost $200! Stop shopping online and go do it your self! Go to the markets for fruit and veg, go to the meat markets and fish markets! Cook with fresh ingredients! I can't be bothered to work out your weekly income but even with your rent it's still a lot of money! What do you buy to have such a huge grocery bill? I'm still struggling TBH to understand!

Even buying everything at Coles/Woolies it shouldnt cost that much, I appreciate not everyone has the time or inclination to buy specials and go to the market but even if you dont we do the people researching their moves here a diservice if we dont question these massive figures....

Guest Guest26012
I know where your coming from, I'm on a plane in November and it can't come quick enough. I have found WA just so expensive , but the thing that really has got to me and doesn't seem to be discussed much is the isolation here . We really are in the arse end of nowhere . People only seem to go down south or bail. To think your only going to see 3 places in your life .... Well........ Can't understand it all. The best bit of advice I would give is to make sure you have money left every week to make sure you can fly out of WA to get some breathing space. Average price of a flight is 500 dollars per person

Isolation? Did you research that before you came here? You are not contributing at all to the op! What is the point of your post? Start your own thread re going back! You are generalizing re people going down south or to Bali! I wish you luck on your return!

Even buying everything at Coles/Woolies it shouldnt cost that much, I appreciate not everyone has the time or inclination to buy specials and go to the market but even if you dont we do the people researching their moves here a diservice if we dont question these massive figures....

I wish people had been a bit more honest when we were researching our move because I am sorry but I know what I spend, my neighbours just have two children and they spend between 400-500 a week and another parent at the school we discussed the matter with has three children and they are happy if their grocery bill is less than a thousand a week. Goodness knows what people are eating that they can get away with $200 a week, good luck to them but it simply is not my experience.

Where are you planning to move to ?

Well for one thing we will keep our house in Perth. Would never afford to buy inner city again and the rental return is good. Saying that I am not a fan of Perth although have known the place for many decades. I have some thoughts of moving to Cambodia for a year to begin with to meet up with an Aussie friend long living there and do something completely non money focused and recharge the batteries at the same time.

Sometimes I believe we need to remove ourselfs from our familar environment to view a bigger picture.

I do have some concerns about Australia and life here but would never write it off completely. Perhaps take another look at North Queensland after that? We have interests in Europe so it would be easy in one sense to return there without considering the difficult employment prospects. Germany or France would be the preferred nations but London not completely discarded.

At least is is preferable to have options than to feel trapped and just surviving.

I wish people had been a bit more honest when we were researching our move because I am sorry but I know what I spend, my neighbours just have two children and they spend between 400-500 a week and another parent at the school we discussed the matter with has three children and they are happy if their grocery bill is less than a thousand a week. Goodness knows what people are eating that they can get away with $200 a week, good luck to them but it simply is not my experience.

If a family of 5 are spending $1000 a week then they must be eating very well, i don't live in Australia so am not qualified to say really but that just seem's ludicrous.

Guest guest17301

We eat mostly chicken frame soup and smart price beans:dull:

Your friend who says she's happy to spend under a grand...well I think she's having a lend of you tbh.....that's a ridiculously obscene amount of money to spend on groceries a week...regardless of your income.

We eat mostly chicken frame soup and smart price beans:dull:

Your friend who says she's happy to spend under a grand...well I think she's having a lend of you tbh.....that's a ridiculously obscene amount of money to spend on groceries a week...regardless of your income.

I try to go for dinner there at least once a week [grin]

I very much agree on the honesty. I always go for that as feel there are more than enough God Zoners on these posts that build Australia up far beyond the reality. I quite frankly would not come out here these days if had nothing. For folk if a good situation at home should think carefully what they give up. All this tosh about doing it for the kids is but that. I went to school in both countries and found not too disimilar.

Saying that though you folk perhaps should budget more and get a handle on costs. I promise you can do it cheaper.