About Australian citizenship application approval processing time

Guest workeroverseas

Guest workeroverseas

Dear all,

I am Australian permanent resident with Visa 856 and I am applying for Australian citizenship at the moment. DIAC has informed me of of joining citizenship test on 16th August 2012. But I have a plan of several-month-long business overseas trip starting from 26th August. According to Diac's policy, citizenship application decision can't be made if the applicant is not in Australia. It seems I have to cancel the trip plan, don't I ? The reason is the approval processing time would possibly take several weeks up to 2 months. My questions are:

1, Can I go overseas during approval processing stage ?

2, How long will the approval processing time be ? Is it possible the approval is granted in one week ? (I am not talking about citizenship ceremony that will take some months, I know that)

3, Can someone share your timeline when applying for citizenship ?

Note I believe all my documents are ready and have no problem.

Cheers and best regards

Your friend

Edited by workeroverseas
give thanks

We sat our test and submitted our application on the same day. The checks thereafter can take a few days or several weeks. We were notified 3 weeks following our test. You nominate which shire you wish to take your citizenship ceremony (you are not a citizen until you have undertaken this ceremony). Our ceremony was 4 months after the test date (due to the amount of people in our shire). You really need to speak to someone in the dept of immigration regarding your questions - they're really the only ones who can answer with any certainty.

• 2 months later...
We sat our test and submitted our application on the same day. The checks thereafter can take a few days or several weeks. We were notified 3 weeks following our test. You nominate which shire you wish to take your citizenship ceremony (you are not a citizen until you have undertaken this ceremony). Our ceremony was 4 months after the test date (due to the amount of people in our shire). You really need to speak to someone in the dept of immigration regarding your questions - they're really the only ones who can answer with any certainty.

How did you apply and do your test on the same day? I've been told by DIAC that I have to submit the application then I will be told that I can book a test. I'm submitting my application on Monday and by my rough calculations, if all goes well I can do my ceremony on Australia Day next year.

How did you apply and do your test on the same day? I've been told by DIAC that I have to submit the application then I will be told that I can book a test. I'm submitting my application on Monday and by my rough calculations, if all goes well I can do my ceremony on Australia Day next year.

You do on line , then book your test but you take all your documents , we took our test June 30 and operation 0ct 30 bu that's in Wanneroo