Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of uping sticks with 4 kids to move to Victoria - my wife has a job offer in "whoop whoop land" as my friend from Melbourne calls it. What I would like to know, so we are prepared, are the reasons people return to the UK so we know what we are getting into and hopefully can prepare for these problems.

I know homesickness will be number one on the list - so it's the other stuff I'm more interested in.

Please be honest and say it like it is - I want to know the real downsides of life in Oz for a married couple with 4 kids (aged 2-12) compared to our current UK life.

Be positive and think about all the good things that are going to happen. Most people do adapt well to their new lives but it does often take a few months to settle.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blobby1000 - this is excellent stuff thanks, now I know to keep to the speed limit and quickly identify what Ozzie speedcameras look like.

What about beer from the off licence or supermarket - I can't afford $9 a pint !!!

Also as part of my wifes job offer she gets a car - just so I can evaluate how much this is worth, how much would a second hand car cost us in OZ (rough figures but how much is "a small fortune") and how much is insurance - coz all this is covered with the company car but we will need a small second hand bus (we have a Zafira at present) for when we all want to go out (family of 6).

So far I have learnt - take Ribena with us (although other fruit based squash is available) & stick to the speed limits at all costs. It's much nicer to learn this way than learn by getting a $153 fine!

Beer from the bottle shop isn't hugely cheap either. $13-$18 for a six pack of 375ml "stubbies" depending on what it is. It's cheaper in "slabs" of 24 bottles - $40-$70 depending on what it is. Tinnies are a bit cheaper (maybe 5-10%??) but I don't buy those so not sure

Second hand cars, have a look at carsales.com.au. I think you struggle to get anything worth having for less than $10K. Insurance varies from state to state so you need someone from Vic to help you out with that

Beer from the bottle shop isn't hugely cheap either. $13-$18 for a six pack of 375ml "stubbies" depending on what it is. It's cheaper in "slabs" of 24 bottles - $40-$70 depending on what it is. Tinnies are a bit cheaper (maybe 5-10%??) but I don't buy those so not sure

Second hand cars, have a look at carsales.com.au. I think you struggle to get anything worth having for less than $10K. Insurance varies from state to state so you need someone from Vic to help you out with that

thanks for the info

I have looked at the website that you suggested and I cannot fathom out wich model is which........ what's the equivalant of a VaUxhall/Opel Zafira or other MPV 7 seat car. 4x4 seem really expensive. can we just shove the kids in the back of the ute with the choocks?

For beer (or wine) look no further than Aldi. Typical 6 pack of NZ or French lager, $9-10

Now you're talking :biggrin: I was considering staying in Merthyr if I couldn't afford beer down under :wink:

Strange no-one else in Oz has mentionned Aldi regarding food shopping - I presume they are cheap like in the UK? I bet their fruit based squash isn't hugely expensive.

I have already located one near to where my wife will be working so she can pop in on the way home and pick me up some tinnies...

Strange no-one else in Oz has mentionned Aldi regarding food shopping - I presume they are cheap like in the UK? I bet their fruit based squash isn't hugely expensive.

I have already located one near to where my wife will be working so she can pop in on the way home and pick me up some tinnies...

They're not in every state - we have them here in NSW, and they are in VIC. Not in WA, not sure about QLD or SA

I didn't mention them for booze because in NSW they don't sell it (not allowed to - bottle shops only) but the rules differ from state to state. Obviously in VIC they can sell drink

:D

These are the official Bureau of Meteorology figures for Warragul, taken over many years.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=85093

Thanks Skani - I did look at this site before.

However my faith in any internet figures was ruined by this site http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Merthyr-Tydfil-weather-averages/Merthyr-Tydfil/GB.aspx

It suggests Merthyr only gets 1.2 mm of rain in November and 0mm most months of the year - we actually get more than 1.2 mm rainfall most days of the year.

german company. I remember when I lived in Birmingham I went to Aldi. They have a reputation for being really cheap. At the checkout I noticed they were selling huge bars of high quality 70% pure chocolate for 50p or so. i recognised the label and it was a good european brand that presumably no one had heard of in the UK - being sold cheap in Brum...Needless to say I stocked up with it LOL

Some time later I saw the same brand being sold in some high end food chain for 5 time s the price. I had to laugh.

:laugh:

haha, well, I plan to stock up on cherry ripes for my validation trip.

Also, I am hearing that the pub culture in Oz is for men only, and that it isn't as coed as in other places? You must be kidding me. I guess I'll have to get used to buying grog in hiding :embarrassed:

Well, what I mean is, not that I'm a frequent drinker, you know, God forbid! :unsure:

Thanks Skani - I did look at this site before.

However my faith in any internet figures was ruined by this site http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Merthyr-Tydfil-weather-averages/Merthyr-Tydfil/GB.aspx

It suggests Merthyr only gets 1.2 mm of rain in November and 0mm most months of the year - we actually get more than 1.2 mm rainfall most days of the year.

I see what you mean: I am always sceptical of sites which claim to cover "world weather". Seems very ambitious to me.

However the link I gave is to the official government Australian Bureau of Meteorology site and they maintain meticulous details over many years. I think you mentioned that reports from some friends of yours didn't agree with the stats. However, it may be influenced by how long they have been at Warragul. The last 2 years have been wetter than average in Victoria...and that was preceded by several years of drought. So they may not have experienced an "average" year yet.

Also, I am hearing that the pub culture in Oz is for men only, and that it isn't as coed as in other places? You must be kidding me. I guess I'll have to get used to buying grog in hiding :embarrassed:

Well, what I mean is, not that I'm a frequent drinker, you know, God forbid! :unsure:

The only pubs that are 'men only' are the gay ones. Most pubs in Sydney are full of women out drinking. Nobody turns a hair if a woman walks into a pub on her own.

The only pubs that are 'men only' are the gay ones. Most pubs in Sydney are full of women out drinking. Nobody turns a hair if a woman walks into a pub on her own.

Are you suggesting women are not allowed in gay bars in Australia? What about gay women?

My wife and I have had some amazingly brilliant nights out in gay bars in USA and London, once by total accident and then on purpose, surely the Australians dont only let gay men in?

Guest The Pom Queen
The only pubs that are 'men only' are the gay ones. .

In Vic the Men Clubs/Pubs are strip joints so I don't think they would be gay

Whoever is telling you that has been reading Australian stereotypes 101 from 1968...time to find a more up-to-date information source I think :biggrin:

Are you suggesting women are not allowed in gay bars in Australia? What about gay women?

My wife and I have had some amazingly brilliant nights out in gay bars in USA and London, once by total accident and then on purpose, surely the Australians dont only let gay men in?

Nominally 'men only.' Everyone is welcome in Aussie pubs now. As I said, nobody turns a hair when women go into pubs on their own. Sydney is the most liberal place I've been in my life.

Who cares about the prices either. If you work here, you get paid in dollars, and nobody complains about the prices (apart from Pommies who can't forget ASDA and Tesco that is!) Maybe $7.50 was a bit steep for plastic schooners of Tooheys New at ANZ stadium tonight, and $8.50 for a cheeseburger, but you always pay more at sporting/entertainment events. $29.50 was pretty cheap for a ticket too.

Nominally 'men only.' Everyone is welcome in Aussie pubs now. As I said, nobody turns a hair when women go into pubs on their own. Sydney is the most liberal place I've been in my life.

Who cares about the prices either. If you work here, you get paid in dollars, and nobody complains about the prices (apart from Pommies who can't forget ASDA and Tesco that is!) Maybe $7.50 was a bit steep for plastic schooners of Tooheys New at ANZ stadium tonight, and $8.50 for a cheeseburger, but you always pay more at sporting/entertainment events. $29.50 was pretty cheap for a ticket too.

Nobody complains about the prices? What utter nonsense. When you've got kids who have an annoying habit of demanding to be fed numerous times a day, prices matter. Whether you're pom or Australian.

To the OP, Aldi works out at least 30% cheaper for food, they sell fresh fruit and veg which is often half the price of their competition. Booze is 50% or more cheaper if you're lucky enough to be in VIC. The meat is good quality. In other words, its not only cheaper, but also you can get it all in the same shop! Crazy idea...

Who cares about the prices either. If you work here, you get paid in dollars, and nobody complains about the prices (apart from Pommies who can't forget ASDA and Tesco that is!)

That's not true. Aussies I know complain about prices all the time. Principally of things that have gone up a lot, or they spend a lot on - groceries, petrol and electricity for example (yes I know petrol is way cheaper than in the UK but people still moan)

Sydney is the most liberal place I've been in my life.

Who cares about the prices either. If you work here, you get paid in dollars, and nobody complains about the prices.

Really. I don't buy it but will sometimes pick it up and read it if I find one, but from glancing at the front page of The Daily Telegraph (Sydney one) moaning about electricity prices has been their front-page story every day since at least last October, and probably has been for a lot longer than that. That is a LOT of moaning about prices.

In fact one of the reasons I don't bother with papers here is that they seem to have had a meeting and agreed what stories they'll run for the next five years in order to save money on having to report actual news.

Advertiser (Adelaide) - Hoons. All your stories must be about hoons and how the city is overrun with them

Herald Sun (Melbourne) - trashy expose of alleged misdeeds by sports stars that no-one outside of your state has heard of or cares about. Rupert Murdoch has decided Victorian's heads will explode if a story not related to AFL in winter or cricket in summer appears in their paper.

Daily Telegraph (Sydney) - electricity prices and Z-list celebrities coming to Australia via Sydney airport. Yes we know you think you're a liberal world city but Rupert's decided that's all you're allowed guys.

Courier Mail (Brisbane) - asylum seekers and dog-whistle racism. Yes we know Queensland is now a thriving go ahead state but Rupe much preferred it when you truly were redneck idiots under Joh Bjelke-Petertson. Lets try and get back to those glory days please people.

Zero. We have vacancies for cleaners at the moment. $52k a year working 12 hour days split shifts 2 weeks on 1 week off.

I am rather amazed that so many folk from abroad think they are going to walk into high paying jobs. Many jobs advertised are for under $70,000 a year which is barely a lot in such an expensive country.

Well everybody I know looks at prices and many of those are on way more than $100,000 a year. Life here in Perth at any rate is so expensive that there is little choice. Nothing is cheap whether or not earning dollars.