Moving from Melbourne to Adelaide advice needed !

Wellse

We currently live on the mornington peninsula although lovely haven't settled. We visited Adelaide and think it might be worth ago? Has anyone else done this? How did you go ? What did it cost to move? Are you happier ? What's it like living there ? Holidays always different , don't want to move children again unless we are sure. Any advice would be much appreciated !

It really comes down to what you and your family are looking for. I'm based here in Adelaide and originally from Essex. I've been around Australia and loved a lot of places, but for some reason just found Adelaide a nice place to live, with being so close to both the beaches and city. Its definitely not as cheap as it once was for housing here, but still cheaper than most suburbs of the other states. What is it your partner does for work? That of course is the key to any move, knowing that there is good potential for work.

We felt more at home there, like you said I think everything being closer the beach and the city. The peninsula has lovely beaches but no character where as Adelaide does, I loved the student culture, arty etc. we lived near Brighton in Sussex before we moved here , it reminds me of there too. I am a nurse and my husband a physio so hoping work won't be too hard to come by. Would like to be near the city but where our three children can enjoy too. Worried how much it would cost to up sticks again and move, and moving schools aha gain for my son. Felt like going back to uk but also feel that maybe Melbourne just isn't for us, as so many positives for being here in Australia

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Adelaide for many years before moving back to the UK for four years. We moved back to OZ last October and went to Brisbane for work purposes but it wasnt for us so then took another opportunity to move to Melbourne which as was closer to Adelaide for visits to friends etc seemed like a double opportunity! WE were there for 8 months in total and have now finally moved to Adelaide for another opportunity and feel so good to be back.

It was a good experience living in other parts of the country and I enjoyed Melbourne but still did not feel quite at home there, We were in Seaford and enjoyed the Mornington Peninsula and discovered most parts of it but nothing really grabbed me or took my breath away quite like the sites of the southern beaches of Adelaide or the Adelaide hills and southern vales. If you feel a pull to a place and you have been here to experience at least an idea of what its like then it might be a sign that its right for you. Go for it! Its a lot closer that the UK and while you are in the country why not see if another place suits you better, you may never look back!

We felt more at home there, like you said I think everything being closer the beach and the city. The peninsula has lovely beaches but no character where as Adelaide does, I loved the student culture, arty etc. we lived near Brighton in Sussex before we moved here , it reminds me of there too. I am a nurse and my husband a physio so hoping work won't be too hard to come by. Would like to be near the city but where our three children can enjoy too. Worried how much it would cost to up sticks again and move, and moving schools aha gain for my son. Felt like going back to uk but also feel that maybe Melbourne just isn't for us, as so many positives for being here in Australia

Well it does sound like Adelaide has struck a chord with you so it might be worth giving it a go. How old is your son? He's going to have to cope with a new school whether you move to Adelaide or to the UK, so seems to me it's worth a try, or you'll always be wondering "what if". At least if you don't like Adelaide in the long term, you'll have put those demons to bed.

If you like the Arts scene etc, do make sure you stay close to the city though, Maybe look towards the Western beaches or Glenelg rather than the ones further South. We're in Kent town and love being in the centre of things, able to walk to work (across the parks) every day and then we just drive 20min to the beach if we want to go. Might be a little outside you budget if you're looking for a bigger place since you've got kids (we're in a little two bed place atm), but there are plenty of other areas that might be suitable for you. It really depends where you're going to be working, I would put a short commute above location, since on the weekends the traffic is light, so driving to the fun places is no problem.

Thank you for your comments/advice! We have pretty much decided to give Adelaide a go! I am actually surprisingly excited! So that's a good sign. Just getting quotes on moving now though, got one back was more than coming from UK! Do you have any suggestions of companies???

Hi Wellse,

We just moved from Melbourne to Adelaide 3 weeks ago and used a company called Southern Cross Removals. It cost us just over 1,300.00 and an additional 45 per week for storage while we look for a house. They were nice guys very prompt, quick and friendly and have been helpful with matching/beating other competitors.

Where are you thinking of of settling? do you have any idea of the different areas etc ?

if you need any help feel free to ask.

Hi boomerang,

would you be able to give me the details of Southern Cross Removals please, I tried Google but couldn't find a Melbourne site/number? Did you move over much? We have a house full! not huge amount though!

We are looking at the eastern suburbs as would ideally like to only have one car and Husband used public transport to commute or cycle! That's if all goes to plan! Why did you leave Melbourne and choose Adelaide? Got so much to sort out in not long a time, as aiming to move the last week of September if we can, husband applying for jobs, so hopefully will all come together!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi boomerang,

would you be able to give me the details of Southern Cross Removals please, I tried Google but couldn't find a Melbourne site/number? Did you move over much? We have a house full! not huge amount though!

We are looking at the eastern suburbs as would ideally like to only have one car and Husband used public transport to commute or cycle! That's if all goes to plan! Why did you leave Melbourne and choose Adelaide? Got so much to sort out in not long a time, as aiming to move the last week of September if we can, husband applying for jobs, so hopefully will all come together!

Sorry have been busy find a house so havent been on here for a while....it was actually Sovereign removals, apologies for that and the number is

08 82654561

I had lived in Adelaide preiviously before going back to the UK and then returning to OZ once again after 4 years so it was natural to want to return to familitarity. I was however excited to be going somewhere new when we headed to Brisbane and then on to Melbourne but surprisingly to me anyway nothing really did it for either of us and we just couldnt settle anywhere else! The weather will be lovely by the time you get her spring is so beautiful at that time of the year....I hope your prepared for VERY hot weather here in the summer! Good luck with it all and if I can help in anyway please let me know, ill try and check this more often