You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

whoiam

Brits generally 'conformist' and thrive in a structured world where everyone knows ...

-where everyone knows what is expected of them and expects the same of others. Therefore Brits make better drivers, better administrators, keeps the class system intact with subtleties, never talk religion(even the die hard church goers), talks about the weather a lot because its a safe subject, only they know the meaning of the word 'nice'(its not as nice as it sounds--c'mon I'm just trying to politely say that I hate it), finds it hard to migrate and settle down unless a mini Britain can be created where they go etc etc etc.

Anyone who thrives in a foreign land, is able to adapt and inculturate is the exception rather than the rule.

This being PIO we can expect to see more 'exceptions' but what do you think of my generalisation???

Is it true to a large extent?

Is it true to a small extent?

Is it a load of s**t?

When opining pls tell us if you're a Brit or not pls.

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!

no one?

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!

Brits ruled the world and made it a much better place, abolishing slavery. Inventing almost everything an generally being bloody nice blokes.....Nuff said.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest guest17301

No I don't think so Whoiam...I think a lot of English people are pretty good at intergrating into different cultures...will always be those who refuse to adapt...won't learn another language, refuse to try 'foreign' food etc etc...usually the types whose idea of exotic is a week in Playa de Blanca...some of these 'types' will emigrate....and head straight for pommie familiarity...other poms prefer to have a more 'Australian' existance! and other dont give a sh7t they just know they like it here!...maybe true to a small extent...for some poms....there are so many different 'types' of pom with different mindsets that I don't think its possible to say really....

Guest guest17301
Brits ruled the world and made it a much better place, abolishing slavery. Inventing almost everything an generally being bloody nice blokes.....Nuff said.

The history books I read had some Poms down as brutal types who inflicted their will on other nations like it or not...that's not very nice is it?

No I don't think so Whoiam...I think a lot of English people are pretty good at intergrating into different cultures...will always be those who refuse to adapt...won't learn another language, refuse to try 'foreign' food etc etc...usually the types whose idea of exotic is a week in Playa de Blanca...some of these 'types' will emigrate....and head straight for pommie familiarity...other poms prefer to have a more 'Australian' existance! and other dont give a sh7t they just know they like it here!...maybe true to a small extent...for some poms....there are so many different 'types' of pom with different mindsets that I don't think its possible to say really....

What do you think of the first bit--Brits are conformists and their affinity for a structured world and expected behaviour etc...

load of rubbish, do you have evidence to back it up. Not that i'm putting Britain down or anything, just want the proof.

You have me in stitches--- care to remind me who started slavery?

Ok why do u think Brits ruled the world?--I think its because they make damn good administrators, damn good at making the rule book and then damn good at following the rule book.

Guest Guest66881

Yeah Brits are the hated, bring it on....

The rest of the world is full of butterfly loving anti war, anti hate - people isn't it:wink:

The history books I read had some Poms down as brutal types who inflicted their will on other nations like it or not...that's not very nice is it?

Compared to Asian countries African countries, south American countries, most countries in Europe I would say our treatment of people ain't been that bad to be honest Fiona.

load of rubbish, do you have evidence to back it up. Not that i'm putting Britain down or anything, just want the proof.

I don't have any research studies to quote--I wanted to know what you think--basically if people would agree or disagree with what I wrote.

I only have some experience of living in a few different cultures and from experience of picking on the threads and comments on PIO for the past few months,.

Well then it just depends on who you meet, can't base it on Britain as a whole.

Guest Guest16631

..........maybe true of an older generation...........can certainly recognise some of those characteristics in older family members and friends...........but today people have the world at their finger tips...............and cultures and traditions have integrated and many boundaries blurred at the edges..........perhaps it's the stereotypical British person that has become a minority...............as most now seem IMO to be able to integrate.........though that natural wanting to be with .....people of similar backgrounds........and to retain some of your culture and traditions may influence friends and associates you have.................and must admit........I am always very wary when my mother say's something is..."nice".................!

Well then it just depends on who you meet, can't base it on Britain as a whole.

But generally would you say that Brits are more conformist and like to follow a structure and generally behave in a said(expectable) fashion?

You have me in stitches--- care to remind me who started slavery?

Ok why do u think Brits ruled the world?--I think its because they make damn good administrators, damn good at making the rule book and then damn good at following the rule book.

:laugh: You think Brits started slavery..that is a gem, read your history books starting at secondary school level...jesus this forum is full of dunces.

Give you a clue...think cavemen.

Edited by Perthbum

:laugh: You think Brits started slavery..that is a gem, read your history books starting at secondary school level...jesus this forum is full of dunces.

Have just read 'Roots'--much better education in slavery than many textbooks I believe:laugh:!

maybe, but I guess if that was the case it can't be helped, as people are brought up in certain ways depends on what country you live in. Habits and ways of living and being in society get passed on! You just do it subconsciously because it's what you've seen half your life.

Have just read 'Roots'--much better education in slavery than many textbooks I believe:laugh:!

Slavery started with man starting to walk on 2 legs...it has been with us since the beginning...no one started it.

Compared to Asian countries African countries, south American countries, most countries in Europe I would say our treatment of people ain't been that bad to be honest Fiona.

You might get another story if you asked the Indians or Pakistanis or the Boars or just about any other part of the commonwealth that didn't really want the Brits there. Even the Americans would have a different opinion if you go back far enough.

You crack me up sometimes pb.

maybe, but I guess if that was the case it can't be helped, as people are brought up in certain ways depends on what country you live in. Habits and ways of living and being in society get passed on! You just do it subconsciously because it's what you've seen half your life.

What got me thinking was the numerous posts on here of people who find it difficult in Oz and those who try to return to their homeland citing a variety of reasons. I compared this to Indians as a whole who make excellent migrants--they are all over the world, integrate to a certain extent and have generally few problems living in a foreign land--sometimes more inhospitable than Australia is to the Brits. But then chaos and mayhem is normal to them. They live in a culture where they are always surrounded by 'n' number of people who can act/ react in 'n' different ways. So the unexpected is the expected.

So that got me thinking that maybe its the structure and 'expectedness' of Britain, where everyone generally behaves and reacts in an expectable fashion--(within certain limits)

You might get another story if you asked the Indians or Pakistanis or the Boars or just about any other part of the commonwealth that didn't really want the Brits there. Even the Americans would have a different opinion if you go back far enough.

The Dutch raped Africa and its people, they invaded Africa and the rest is history as we know.

-where everyone knows what is expected of them and expects the same of others. Therefore Brits make better drivers, better administrators, keeps the class system intact with subtleties, never talk religion(even the die hard church goers), talks about the weather a lot because its a safe subject, only they know the meaning of the word 'nice'(its not as nice as it sounds--c'mon I'm just trying to politely say that I hate it), finds it hard to migrate and settle down unless a mini Britain can be created where they go etc etc etc.

Anyone who thrives in a foreign land, is able to adapt and inculturate is the exception rather than the rule.

This being PIO we can expect to see more 'exceptions' but what do you think of my generalisation???

Is it true to a large extent?

Is it true to a small extent?

Is it a load of s**t?

When opining pls tell us if you're a Brit or not pls.

This reminds me of being told by an interviewer that as an ex military man I would be more likely to 'conform' as I was used to taking orders and that 'nothing happens in the military unless you are told to do it'....blah blah blah etc etc etc. I shook my head and laughed . The hypocricy and double standard was lost on this young lad sat infront of me in his grey suit, shirt, tie, shiny shoes, company labelled name tag and upholding the company standard with the company mission on the wall behind him and the obligatory "What can you bring to the company?' line of questioning. He was oblivious to himself already being integrated and a part of the 'conformist' topic of 'nothing happens until your told too' that he has raised.

I couldnt resist pointing out to him that he, his manager, his managers manager and his managers managers manager where all 'conforming' and had been doing so since birth, school and Uni etc. I elaborated and informed him that even the CEO and business owner was 'conforming' to 'a system'. He took umbrage and I was subsequently informed in a standard letter that I was 'over qualified for the position'. Yeah, right...........yes men and conformists not realising that they are yes men and conformists too.

It certainly isnt a 'Brit' thing and has nothing to do with any notion of 'British class' or 'the British way'. Happens in every walk of life, every employment type around the world............chaos and ruin ensues when it doesnt. Most 'none conformists' spend 23 hours a day in a cell.

Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet................all 'conformists' too.......and very rich.

Yes the British did invade many nations and increase the size of their huge empire, by being ruthless, but people will not give their country to you without a fight.

The fact is that the British empire did a lot of bad things, but the good things far and away outwheigh those bad things.

If you look at the countries that the British were involved with:- Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, South Africa, India, Fiji, Grenada, Bermuda, etc, etc. All of them are now much better off for the British influence.

The British empire was the biggest and best empire that the world has ever or will ever see.

That is why English is the international language and Brits are seen as the fairest and straightest people on the planet.

... Brits are seen as the fairest and straightest people on the planet.

Why is my question? Why are they the fairest and 'straightest' people?