Australian houses second largest in the world.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

harpodom-albums-fail-nation-picture10733-architecture-fail.jpg

this sort of thing is my main bug bear with new builds here. ALL of the available block is taken up by this hideous creation. Completely out of character with the rest of the street. The neighbours weren't consulted prior to planning permission being granted.

It is a MASSIVE house though, big bloody deal.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this sort of thing is my main bug bear with new builds here. ALL of the available block is taken up by this hideous creation. Completely out of character with the rest of the street. The neighbours weren't consulted prior to planning permission being granted.

Yuck that is simply awful. Reminds me of those super-massive houses in North Balwyn. Huge houses that completely cover the block. I find them ugly but these Mcmansions appear to be popular among certain types of buyers who are happy to shell out upwards of $2M for them.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-balwyn+north-108912341

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-balwyn+north-111096095

Edited by Anya

Guest The Ropey HOFF
harpodom-albums-fail-nation-picture10733-architecture-fail.jpg

I can understand why some wouldn't like this house, me i love it, modern, art decor, MASSIVE, i bet it's fantastic on the inside and ....... i bet its three times bigger than the average UK house ...... make that five times bigger, it looks enormous, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I think the whole array of housing is available in Oz so you pay your money and take your choice. You can go from having several acres in a rural setting, to an apartment in the City and everything in between.

Most of the people I know are happy with the choice they made. It's probably their 2nd or 3rd home at least, so you learn by your mistakes and change as to what suits your lifestyle. We have a 4x2, open plan house built in the 80's. Double brick and tile, fairly big front and back garden, no pool. To be honest I could do with a bit less garden as I hate gardening and mowing lawns and there's several parks around if we need to kick a ball around or something. We've improved it over the years, like you do and it suits us. I think the next move might be in to a St Ives retirement village, if I can talk the missus round. Not for a few years yet maybe.:cool:

I got the impression you had to stay in the first house you chose, you mean you can move and find something better, well ...... you could knock me down with a feather, lol

• 1 month later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF

0720_average01.jpgIf you're traveling the world at all this summer, chances are you'll come across homes smaller than your average U.S. house. We found the above chart at the BBC (love its Josef Albers-esque aesthetics) and we converted to square feet after the jump:

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe! Here's the conversion for the chart above, alongside an Albers just for fun (remember, these are averages and reflect new homes constructed since 2003):

0720_average02.jpg

US: 2,300sf

Australia: 2,217sf

Denmark: 1,475sf

France: 1,216sf

Spain: 1,044sf

Ireland: 947sf

UK: 818sf

crikey, I was right after all, lol.

Its interesting for folk emigrating, they can see just how much more living space they can have when they get there, I live in a house in the UK which is twice the UK average, but I still found the houses in Australia to be a lot bigger.

We lived in London for 8 years prior to moving to Perth in February this year. In London, for what we could afford to rent, our 2 bedroom house was the size of a matchbox - cramped, suffocating and frustrating. Our lounge was only big enough to for a 2 seater sofa. The bedrooms only just big enough for a the bed and a small set of drawers.

Here in in Perth is f**kin A! We're in a large and spacious 3 bedroom house, with high ceilings, wooden varnished floors, gigantic lounge, dinning room, laundry, a garage and a massive garden with 2 lemon trees, 2 fig trees, huge wild rosemary bushes and an almond tree. And its more or less the same price we were paying in London. Its nice for the kids to run around in the house and garden.