Australian houses second largest in the world.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its a hot country, some states more than others, so the houses are built accordingly! Like anywhere else hot..Africa included if that makes you happy..you still havent answered my question...in what way are Australian woman 'more giving'?

And a wet and at times very cold country, even houses in south africa are far better insulated against the cold.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God Id forgotten about that..call me naive but I just couldnt see that ever happening in Perth...even the worst lawbreaking bogans have more respect than that....

It's impossible to compare inner city areas of London with the suburban layout in Perth. The Bogs of Perth are perhaps more inclined to turn up unannouced at suburban parties and create mayhem for all concerned in the street. Often resulting in the tactical squad,horses and dogs being called out.

Guest The Pom Queen
It's impossible to compare inner city areas of London with the suburban layout in Perth. The Bogs of Perth are perhaps more inclined to turn up unannouced at suburban parties and create mayhem for all concerned in the street. Often resulting in the tactical squad,horses and dogs being called out.

Umm reminds me of Corey's house party a few years back http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/party-boy-corey-most-downloaded/story-e6frf7kx-1111115326350

Guest Shell15
God Id forgotten about that..call me naive but I just couldnt see that ever happening in Perth...even the worst lawbreaking bogans have more respect than that....

I think the youngsters a very different breed to those in the UK. Im not just saying that because I am Aus but in spending a very long period of time in both I think there is a huge difference. I real gang culture in the UK. My oh says the same and so does our 18 and 14 year old kids..!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I have a big house, it's cold in winter, I don't care, it's part of living in Oz, just something that every other Australian lives with for three months of the year, and if they can do it, so can I and I don't moan about it. Cultural difference - just accept it. Put on the ugg boots, got the electric blanket, the heater comes out the garage for three months of the year then goes away again, really what's the big deal.

Great post mate, this threads about how big the houses are in Australia compared to the UK, which irked some, so they try to make out its crap having a big house, they hate good news stories about Australia, lol.

I remember him now you mention it. Became a bit of a bogan urban legend. Media gave him too much undeserved attention. Doubt if he'd impress the so called inner city gangs in London though....

Guest The Ropey HOFF
So if its all about positivity......why dont you "live positively" in the UK?

I do Blobby, but the weathers crap, unemployments high, no pay rises for years, the weathers really crap, the UK is still in recession, etc, etc, etc. I know it makes tough reading, but ...... These are facts, where as you just post your constant moaning self opinions which appear to be opposite to almost everyone else.

I think the youngsters a very different breed to those in the UK. Im not just saying that because I am Aus but in spending a very long period of time in both I think there is a huge difference. I real gang culture in the UK. My oh says the same and so does our 18 and 14 year old kids..!

Rubbish, Oz more crime per head of population than the UK and I saw much more anti social behavior in perth than I have ever done in birmingham and surrounds, there is REAL gang culture in oz mate.

[h=3]Youth gangs[/h]Youth Gangs have flourished throughout many of the large cities of Australia, especially Melbourne andSydney.[citation needed] There are many suburban gangs throughout Melbourne involving clashes between North-West and South-East as well as ongoing battles in Melbourne's Western Suburbs. There are many other gangs evolving throughout the outer suburbs of Brisbane as well. There have also been a few cases of Australian gangs imitating American street gangs such as the Bloods[29] with no affiliation to the original gangs. In most cases these minor gangs are formed by bored youth influenced by the American Gangsta Rap scene. The internet has become a focal point for these gangs, posting pictures, post codes and sometimes even running a gang's personal website. Australian youth gangs grow in accordance to general population growth.[citation needed]

Gangland culture in Brisbane and the surrounding areas has increased dramatically in recent years with respect to gang violence and behaviours in youths. Gangs in "crime hotspot" areas such as the Gold Coast and Western Brisbane has seen youth violence and disorderly conduct rise by 10% in the last two years, according to the Queensland Police Union.[30] Gangs have been attributed to the increasing levels of youth violence and incarceration numbers in Queensland's south east. Gangs such as Butch Lesbian Soldiers (BLS), Village People and FLC have drawn comparisons to infamous gang cultures in areas such as Los Angeles and Moscow.[31]However, Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson denies these suggestions of strong gang presence, saying, "Brisbane does not have crime gangs similar to Los Angeles ... There are groups of mainly young males who band together and become involved in criminal behaviour, but they are quite different from the criminal gangs that operate in the US."[32] Commissioner Atkinson further stated the unfairness to attribute the increasing levels of youth violence and illegal activities with ethnically or culturally based gangs. In 2006, three youths were charged with assault following the attack (reported to be gang motivated) on two other youths from a neighbouring school.[33]

[h=3]East and Southeast Asian gangs[/h]Asian gangs have some history in Australia. In the late 1980s, the Vietnamese gang 5T was active in the Cabramatta area of Sydney and believed to be involved in the murder of John Newman, the Member for Cabramatta in the NSW State Parliament. Other gangs active in Cabramatta, Sydney include the Four Aces and Madonna's Mob.[2]

[h=3]Middle Eastern gangs[/h]Middle-Eastern gangs were observed to rise around 1995–1996 in Australia, most prominently in Sydney.[7] By 2000, the middle Eastern gangs had gained ground in Sydney, as police were hampered by inexperienced officers, fear of Internal Affairs investigations and obstructive policy on dealing with ethnic minorities, which made NSW Police focus on other areas of crime.[8]

For a long time, Middle-Eastern gangs conducted extortion against nightclubs, ram raids, and car theft. More recently, drive-by shootings have become more common, with *** for tat drive by shooting starting as early as 1998, and becoming more common in recent years.,[9][10] including a drive by machine gun attack on a police station in Lakemba, Sydney.[11]

In 2006, a permanent Middle-Eastern Organised Crime squad was set up following revenge attacks, including stabbings and assaults, by Middle Eastern youths following the Cronulla riots.[12]

[h=3]Outlaw motorcycle gangs[/h]Outlaw motorcycle gangs are present in Australia, with international outlaw clubs like the Bandidos and Hells Angels and Gypsy Jokers as well as local groups. One of the major events in Australian motorcycle gang criminal history was what became known as the Milperra Massacre in 1984, where a fight between two gangs, theComancheros and the Bandidos in Milperra in the South of Sydney, turned into a gun battle that claimed seven lives - six gang members and a civilian. While conflict between various clubs has been ever present, in 2008 the gang conflict escalated, with 13 shootings taking place in Sydney in the space of two weeks.[13]

Gang violence has become high profile to the point where various state governments have taken steps to change laws to focus on the problem, and police have set up groups to deal with the threat, including the Crime Gang Task Force in South Australia[14] Bikie gangs in South Australia at least, are involved in drugs, murder, extortion and other forms of intimidation and violence. Bikie gangs in South Australia have diversified their activities into both legal and illegal commercial business enterprises.[14]

In Western Australia they are involved in the drug trade[15] Laws to deal with Bikie gangs (applying to any association, bike or otherwise) have been introduced into Northern Territory, South Australia, and are presently being looked at in NSW and Queensland.[16][17][18]

In early 2009, Comanchero Motorcycle Club and Hells Angels were involved in a clash at Sydney Airport. One gang member was beaten to death in plain view of witnesses at the airport, and police estimated as many as 15 men were involved in the violence. Police documents detail the brawl as a result of the Comanchero and Hells Angels Presidents being on the same flight from Melbourne.[19] Four suspects were arrested as a result of the altercation.

Including two murders in the capital city, 4 people were killed in the space of a week in Canberra and in Sydney.[20]As a result of heightening violence, New South Wales Premier Nathan Rees announced the state police anti-gang squad would be boosted to 125 members from 50.[21]

A growing percentage of the crime attributed to outlaw motorcycle gangs since around 2010 is not necessarily committed by actual bikers. Much of the crime has been committed by non-riding members or associates of these gangs, bringing into question whether these individuals should be referred to as belonging to outlaw "motorcycle" gangs or simply outlaw gangs that have splintered from the original group. This component of the culture are increasingly referred to as "Nike Bikies" as their attire is significantly different to that of the traditional biker. As Professor Arthur Veno has described, "They wear Nike tennis shoes rather than riding boots."

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's about houses, how big they are, how much open living space there is, how great the open plan, living is with the outside/inside living area is incredible and people just ....... Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.

It's about houses, how big they are, how much open living space there is, how great the open plan, living is with the outside/inside living area is incredible and people just ....... Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.

Where are these houses hoff? the ones I seen were on top of each other with a postage stamp as a garden.

Guest Shell15
Rubbish, Oz more crime per head of population than the UK and I saw much more anti social behavior in perth than I have ever done in birmingham and surrounds, there is REAL gang culture in oz mate.

Im not sure what it was like in Perth (where you apparently lived) however from the other Perth residents on pio, it is nothing like you make it out to be. Crime is world wide, you cant escape it unfortunately, however, in my opinion and that of my two kids who are old enough to know, it is not as bad as the UK. Not many Vicki Pollards in Oz PB..although Im sure you will have a link to prove me wrong..lol

I'd feel a bit weird if i got beaten up by a gang called "the village people" tbh,IE yer mate looks at yer two black eyes and broken nose and says "what happened to you pablo lah?" :wideeyed:

ME "well i was just walking down the road minding me own business like,but then a load of village people came round the corner and one of them stuck the head on me and the others booted me all over the floor",bad news them village people,steer clear if yer see any,especially the ones dressed as a traffic cop,theyre the worst:twitcy:

Guest Shell15
I'd feel a bit weird if i got beaten up by a gang called "the village people" tbh,IE yer mate looks at yer two black eyes and broken nose and says "what happened to you pablo lah?" :wideeyed:

ME "well i was just walking down the road minding me own business like,but then a load of village people came round the corner and one of them stuck the head on me and the others booted me all over the floor",bad news them village people,steer clear if yer see any,especially the ones dressed as a traffic cop,theyre the worst:twitcy:

I think you would be best to lie...lol

Im not sure what it was like in Perth (where you apparently lived) however from the other Perth residents on pio, it is nothing like you make it out to be. Crime is world wide, you cant escape it unfortunately, however, in my opinion and that of my two kids who are old enough to know, it is not as bad as the UK. Not many Vicki Pollards in Oz PB..although Im sure you will have a link to prove me wrong..lol

It is just as bad, oz has a massive problem with drugs and kids on alcohol as does the UK, kids are kids the world over, chavs in the UK are skinny 12 to 17 years olds who cry for mummy if caught on there own, most turn out OK, bogans and hoons are a different kettle of fish as are some of the gangs in Oz.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Where are these houses hoff? the ones I seen were on top of each other with a postage stamp as a garden.

Thats on your street in the Uk the graph at the beginning shows houses in Australia are almost three times bigger than houses in the UK, try to keep up, lol.

We had a drive around some Perth suburbs recently. All the new developments are really cramming in the houses, they have practically no outdoor space, and if they do it's all concrete. My friends rent a brand new two storey in Maylands which sets them back $550 a week. The living space downstairs I would say is much the same as an average UK house, as much of the ground floor is taken up by laundry rooms etc. Upstairs there is more space. But, and this is the big but, there is no air-con, and no heating. Perth has been hotter than Kal this year and we visited them in March, it was unbearably hot upstairs. Couple the lack of air-con with no roof overhang which seems to be the new Perth style, and you have a very impractical house. Who cares about extra space if you can't sleep at night because it's so hot? They don't even get a decent sea breeze as the upstairs windows are all set high up on the walls - you can't even look out of them! The house is not yet 12 months old and already falling apart.

So they build them cheaply and quickly and don't give a hoot about whether you're comfortable or not inside. People who buy can buy split-systems but for renters it's pretty crappy.

We had a drive around some Perth suburbs recently. All the new developments are really cramming in the houses, they have practically no outdoor space, and if they do it's all concrete. My friends rent a brand new two storey in Maylands which sets them back $550 a week. The living space downstairs I would say is much the same as an average UK house, as much of the ground floor is taken up by laundry rooms etc. Upstairs there is more space. But, and this is the big but, there is no air-con, and no heating. Perth has been hotter than Kal this year and we visited them in March, it was unbearably hot upstairs. Couple the lack of air-con with no roof overhang which seems to be the new Perth style, and you have a very impractical house. Who cares about extra space if you can't sleep at night because it's so hot? They don't even get a decent sea breeze as the upstairs windows are all set high up on the walls - you can't even look out of them! The house is not yet 12 months old and already falling apart.

So they build them cheaply and quickly and don't give a hoot about whether you're comfortable or not inside. People who buy can buy split-systems but for renters it's pretty crappy.

that sounds like the place we rented in Melbourne 11 years ago, we had to move there cos the landlord at our previous place told us at short notice they wanted us out.

It was a brand new build 2 storey townhouse, looked state of the art, had ducted heating so was fine in winter. The problem came in summer, especially upstairs where it became stiflingly hot if the outside temp went above 30, in the main bedroom the two very impressive looking large windows were sealed! With no fan, no cooling, it turned into a greenhouse.

Its easy to be seduced by very modern looking new build houses in Aus, but IMO they look ugly, are often poorly designed and IME built on the cheap.

All too common and ever increasing in numbers. The price of land is making developers going for such options. It's a little strange as on one hand many plots are ever declining with the villa or townhouse concept then in certain ever bigger houses but often on smaller blocks than the past.

Quality is certainly questionable in numerous cases but as many have stated they are not designed for the long term. Keeps the building industry bouyant no doubt.

That's my other point though. Insulation works just as well for keeping heat out as keeping it in. As per my previous post, for hot summers you can do one of two things: Design a house to wick heat upwards and preferably out as quickly as possible (make it leaky and draughty and pull in air from shaded areas underneath) or seal and insulate it to stop hot air getting in in the first place. One method works well in summer and is rubbish in winter (which does exist here of course!). One works well for all seasons. I know which I'd prefer

One method also allows for multiple storey houses so there's some chance of having a smaller house footprint and a bit of garden left over even in a small block...

Guest The Pom Queen

Jim half of the new builds don't have any outdoor space, in fact I had more in a terraced house in the UK than some did in Melbourne, it's only if you buy a larger plot of land but even then most Aussies will use all the land up building the house, so yes you may have a larger house but at the expense of having no garden.

Guest The Pom Queen
I do Blobby, but the weathers crap, unemployments high, no pay rises for years, the weathers really crap, the UK is still in recession, etc, etc, etc. I know it makes tough reading, but ...... These are facts, where as you just post your constant moaning self opinions which appear to be opposite to almost everyone else.

You know Hoff you really make me laugh with statements like this, it's like when you called me a liar because our electric bill is over $1000 a quarter. I'm not saying Blobby is right with everything he says but he does live here and it is HIS experience. Once you have tried living where these members have then you will have a right to argue and comment. I've been to Singapore a few times over the years but I wouldn't dare go on a forum and argue with the people who live there, they will have well more experience than me.

Cheers for that post Paul.

It seems the biggest problem is the high land cost in Oz (perhaps the estate owners are making a mint on each lot?) meaning the builders have to sacrifice on house quality.

I Perth suburbs I have seen new estate house lots from around $160k then nearby an area of land with zoning for 20 houses for $300k - how does that work ?

Just depends where the land is. Near the beach or the river and near the City astronomical prices. Further North or South but still near the beach prices are OK but nowhere near as cheap as moving in land a few Km's.

I think the whole array of housing is available in Oz so you pay your money and take your choice. You can go from having several acres in a rural setting, to an apartment in the City and everything in between.

Most of the people I know are happy with the choice they made. It's probably their 2nd or 3rd home at least, so you learn by your mistakes and change as to what suits your lifestyle. We have a 4x2, open plan house built in the 80's. Double brick and tile, fairly big front and back garden, no pool. To be honest I could do with a bit less garden as I hate gardening and mowing lawns and there's several parks around if we need to kick a ball around or something. We've improved it over the years, like you do and it suits us. I think the next move might be in to a St Ives retirement village, if I can talk the missus round. Not for a few years yet maybe.:cool: