Australian houses second largest in the world.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Oh and incidently we pay $1950 a month for this cold cesspit!!

Have you rang and spoke with the Tenancy Board ? If the fire has broken, and the owner refuses to repair it, id be asking for a deduction in a rent to compensate electric heating costs..

Got to be worth a try,, and i feel for you, im freezing here in Brissy when the fire isnt on..

Cal x

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are missing the point. Its not the cold, its the sh!t housing thats the issue

I think the issue is not only the poor insulation/heating, but also if youre renting, youre reliant on the landlord to improve things.

My own personal experience of Aus landlords (albeit from over 10 years ago) is that they dont give a toss about their tenants, and the rental agents treat the tenants like scum.

Thats a lot of if's hoff, lol

Ah well we can dream can't we, i like to dream i can still buy outright my big fantastic state of the art house in Australia, not far from the coast, great outdoor barbecue area, with a jacuzzi, huge living space, no mortgage like i could afford to before the financial crash here in the UK.

Who knows, hopefully the UK will pick up in the next couple of years or so and still let me acheive my dream.

We have been here, we have tried it, its impossible.

I understand why those in the UK find it easier to label people like me negative whingers because nobody wants their dream p!ssed all over, but believe me, we had a dream too. We didnt come all this way to fukkk it up. But the truth is, you had to be here 10 years ago to get the dream house on the beach, mortgage free.

And you'll have to eat coal, that is if you havent been shot by the neighbours. Who wont talk to you. Because they breed killer snakes who will kidnap your children. And dont start me on the poisonous pies!!

I Presume you also presently reside in the United Kingdom??

Blimey, your friends sound like a bunch of fun!:biggrin:

They're just normal people talking about normal stuff. It was worthy of note because it's something that comes up all the time in conversation here in winter in my experience. Brought up by Aussies as much as Poms. Which is weird when it's so easy to fix

What grinds my gears about it from a professional point of view is frequently buying, or recommending to buy, property that all my instincts and experience tell me is a bit rubbish. I always want to add value and flip them asap as I hate holding on to an asset I have little confidence in. I try and avoid the stuff that's really cr@p but have to accept a lower general standard of build in our assets here than I did at home. Just the way it is

You can get a great house for a lot less than a million in Ocean Reef or an area around there. Go the other side of Marmion and you could get a 4x2 with a pool on a big block for around $700,000. A lot nearer the City than Quinns Rocks (which I think you were referring to). Near the beach at Mullaloo and while maybe not a "better known beach" as you put it, has to be one of the nicest beaches anywhere.

But thats almost half a million pounds!

You could get a nice house in the UK for that!!

I think the issue is not only the poor insulation/heating, but also if youre renting, youre reliant on the landlord to improve things.

My own personal experience of Aus landlords (albeit from over 10 years ago) is that they dont give a toss about their tenants, and the rental agents treat the tenants like scum.

And this is precisely what we should be using this website to do.. To tell people in the UK who are waiting to come here what it is like to leave your house in the Uk and rent in this country......

But they prefer to just label us moaners.

Its actually just the way it is here.....

In fairness it does appear that NSW is the worst state when it comes to insulation (because you can easily see where you wouldn't need it in plenty of places in NT and QLD):

47.jpg

You might be able to get away without much ins on parts of the North Coast - everywhere else in the state it gets chilly. Very much so in the case of most places inland. Percentage of homes with no insulation (that's what the graph is showing) is pretty poor for this state. Much better for ACT so perhaps we can let freckleface off. Mind you, with frequent sub-zero temperatures, it ought to be better. Best go and find similar stats for double glazing

:wink:

Edited by northshorepom

And this is precisely what we should be using this website to do.. To tell people in the UK who are waiting to come here what it is like to leave your house in the Uk and rent in this country......

Unfortunately it is that way in the 3 countries I have lived in. I feel for those that go from owning a home to renting, it's hard to be reliant on a landlord to fix problems. I've had to get cheap hotel accommodation and crash at a friends place in the past where it has taken over a month to fix a broken boiler - not fun at all and extremely frustrating.

We are now in the fortunate position to have bought and our place is fully insulated and is around the same temp as our centrally heated place in London. I do have to admit that I don't generally like a hot house from heaters and so our central heating was only ever set on 16c.

But doing totally the opposite worked for us and we havent been here 10 years, only just over half that.

We sold everything we had in the UK so we didnt 'cave in' easily if things got tough here. We dont regret doing it and it obviously worked for us as we now own our own home, have citizenship and feel we really belong here.

So even though its worked for you, it doesnt mean it will work for everyone, hence the forum is here to give all points of view, none of us are right or wrong and its when someone (not saying you have,lol) starts preaching about their way being THE right way that conflict arrises..

We need to respect EVERYONE has a different opinion and the opinion doesnt dominate how a starnagers life will pan out.

Fair enough and your post balances things out although I am sure you agree that it takes a long time to get to where you were in the UK once you get here unless you happen to come out with millions of pounds.

The thing that annoys me is the Brits on here that have not arrived yet and are labelling those of us that have been here and experienced it, moaners....when really we are just telling our experience.....

I also think your comment "we did not cave in" is quite important. You are right. But we had enough of fighting.....of not caving in....its supposed to be a dream not a ten year battle

In fact we did research the climate but we did not research the appalling standard of rental properties, poor insulation, no double glazing and no central heating. We knew it got cold, the seasons in Victoria were qhat attracted us to this state. However the houses are just not built for the temperatures. This year we took a house with a wood heater which broke the first week of winter and the landlord has refused to fix!

I dont think anyone can research for these issues!!!!!! You have to be here to understand that!!

Yes you can research all that as I and many others have. Perhaps it's time you bought and improved your own house or build one to UK spec (plus air con for the summer) instead of complaining about the rentals/landlords.

Another typical blinkered response from someone that does not live here yet.

Why do you lot in the UK refuse to listen to those of us that actually LIVE here....

I'm not refusing to listen, I take it all on board that houses are built out of paper and yes it gets cold and wet............................if you hate it so much in Oz then you know where the airport is !:wink:

You can get a great house for a lot less than a million in Ocean Reef or an area around there. Go the other side of Marmion and you could get a 4x2 with a pool on a big block for around $700,000. A lot nearer the City than Quinns Rocks (which I think you were referring to). Near the beach at Mullaloo and while maybe not a "better known beach" as you put it, has to be one of the nicest beaches anywhere.

Still way overpriced for such an area in my book. If folk feel living near a secondry beach in a souless burb is worth that forking out that sort of money go fot it.

Agree that if a few years in i was still feeling down then too right id consider returning and not class it as caving in.. For us knowing we had sold everything and to an extent had 'nothing left' in the UK, we felt it would give us the extra boost in those first couple of years, if ever we needed it. I can honestly say if we did still have everything there i dont think we would have returned at any point,, but its easy to say now,lol..

I dont think you need a million, we sure as hell didnt have that,lol, we do live within our means, dont buy stuff on credit etc and sure it takes time. Ive often said migrating is like leaving school and starting adult life all over again, i think its a good comparison and when you get impatient with stuff like making friends, buying a house etc etc, you stop and think what you had when you left school and how long it took you to get to the stage you were at before you left the UK, moving here will be similar but your just a little bit wiser..

I think the Moaners versus Lovers is one of those battles that will always be around. Try not to take it personally, lol, i dont anymore (well most of the time,lol)

Cal x

Yes you can research all that as I and many others have. Perhaps it's time you bought and improved your own house or build one to UK spec (plus air con for the summer) instead of complaining about the rentals/landlords.

I'm not refusing to listen, I take it all on board that houses are built out of paper and yes it gets cold and wet............................if you hate it so much in Oz then you know where the airport is !:wink:

You'll fit right in over here

Guest The Pom Queen

I have to say properties have shot up in price from when we first arrived. Blocks of land were selling between $25 - $80k, the same blocks now are looking at $180 - $200.

The new houses built in Melbourne are cr@p if you just buy the basic, otherwise it's a case of adding everything on.

The houses up in Cairns are totally different, more expensive, smaller houses but they are built of concrete and solid, they have to be for the cyclones.

If we were still in the UK I don't think we could afford the move now, but if you have money behind you or a job then I think it's the best place in the world, yes you may find suburbs that are not for you but there are plenty of other beautiful places/states

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Blobby ...... For crikey Moses sake, book your flights home and stop your moaning, it's incessant, it can't be good for you being so down all the time, lighten up fella, you only get one life, try to live it positively.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Hoff - thanks for the diagram you put up I found it quite interesting.

Just for the record, my home if fully insulated as are the homes of my family and friends.

Cheers gal it's a shame the same moaners come on to try to make something positive into a negative, we are half glass full people, they are glass empty and dried up folk, lol.

Guest Shell15
Hi Hoff - thanks for the diagram you put up I found it quite interesting.

Just for the record, my home if fully insulated as are the homes of my family and friends.

so are my family and friends..they must be neighbours or one of a kind! ;)

Guest Shell15
Cheers gal it's a shame the same moaners come on to try to make something positive into a negative, we are half glass full people, they are glass empty and dried up folk, lol.

Thats what I love about ya Hoff..always glass half full!