Australian houses second largest in the world.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF

0720_average01.jpgIf you're traveling the world at all this summer, chances are you'll come across homes smaller than your average U.S. house. We found the above chart at the BBC (love its Josef Albers-esque aesthetics) and we converted to square feet after the jump:

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe! Here's the conversion for the chart above, alongside an Albers just for fun (remember, these are averages and reflect new homes constructed since 2003):

0720_average02.jpg

US: 2,300sf

Australia: 2,217sf

Denmark: 1,475sf

France: 1,216sf

Spain: 1,044sf

Ireland: 947sf

UK: 818sf

Edited by The Ropey HOFF

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Don't forget though Australian houses only have a lifespan of 17 years, lol At this time, they all fall down and have to be rebuilt, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
:laugh: classic. You never disappoint Hoff.

Its interesting for folk emigrating, they can see just how much more living space they can have when they get there, I live in a house in the UK which is twice the UK average, but I still found the houses in Australia to be a lot bigger.

Yup, officially we live in shoeboxes. Our new builds are hideously small. And small gardens and even smaller windows. Hate them, blot in the landscape sort of things they are :mad:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yup, officially we live in shoeboxes. Our new builds are hideously small. And small gardens and even smaller windows. Hate them, blot in the landscape sort of things they are :mad:

Its just averages, I think you can get a good sized house here in the Uk for a decent price these days especially with the housing market being like it is, it's definitely a buyers market and if you have say £170k to spend you can get something nice.

Don't forget though Australian houses only have a lifespan of 17 years, lol At this time, they all fall down and have to be rebuilt, lol.

Well im knackered then, it was 10 years old when we bought it 5 years ago,, OMG only 2 years left until it crumbles around me, i had better up the insurance ,,lol

Cal x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
That's cos you don't have to worry about heating them!

It varies from state to state, the heating bills in Australua tend to go from being about half the price of what we pay in the UK to about the same, depending on how much air con they use, or how coldish it gets in winter, I did a thread about it.

In addition:

If you rent you will not only get an enormous house but it will likely have a leaking roof, be freezing cold in the winter and nothing will ever get fixed by the landlord.

If you are buying then your deposit from the UK will be swallowed by the 1.5 rate of exchange and you will need to spend at least $500,000 to get anything pleasant.

That's cos you don't have to worry about heating them!

You dont live here do you!!

It does of course depend which state you are in, but, here in Victoria, we have never been so cold in our lives, huddled by the electric fire (no central heating and the landlord refuses to fix the wood heater) and our bills are $1400 a quarter for just electricity.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
In addition:

If you rent you will not only get an enormous house but it will likely have a leaking roof, be freezing cold in the winter and nothing will ever get fixed by the landlord.

If you are buying then your deposit from the UK will be swallowed by the 1.5 rate of exchange and you will need to spend at least $500,000 to get anything pleasant.

Come on cheer up Blobby, your coming home soon, you should be dancing a jig.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It does of course depend which state you are in, but, here in Victoria, we have never been so cold in our lives, huddled by the electric fire (no central heating and the landlord refuses to fix the wood heater) and our bills are $1400 a quarter for just electricity.

You never did your research did you, almost everyone knows its not as warm in Melbourne, you chose to go there, in Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide they have months of great weather, not too hot and in between the really hot and cooler periods and theres no need for heating and air con.

Well im knackered then, it was 10 years old when we bought it 5 years ago,, OMG only 2 years left until it crumbles around me, i had better up the insurance ,,lol

Cal x

We are certainly living on borrowed time as our house is 50 years old today. Will have to get some more gaffer tape out to hold it together.

Considering all the space over there they should be the biggest.

I found they all actually live in quite small places, crammed into the centre, 4 houses on 1 block sort of thing and no gardens. To buy a big house in Oz you need to have more than a few million

I found they all actually live in quite small places, crammed into the centre, 4 houses on 1 block sort of thing and no gardens. To buy a big house in Oz you need to have more than a few million

We have a reasonably large house with a large in ground swimming pool, double garage and stacks of spare garden 30 minutes from the centre of Brisbane by bus, and I promise you we did not spend anywhere near a million.

Yes they are bigger, we self built our house in the UK after being cramped into the typical developers shoe box twice before and that is around 164sq.m and worth just under £300k.

In Oz we can get over 200sq.m of space for less money except the garden will be about a 10th of the size here - great for the outdoor life !!

Oh and it will be at least 20years behind the building standards here in the UK..................but who cares it will be in Oz, nuff said !!

Guest Shell15

definitely colder down south..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

No you don't you can get a great house for $450,000 check realestate.com.au