London 2012: Olympics

StevieF8

That was unforgettable, our queen is a great sport for taking part that way and I am especially impressed by all those doctors and nurses (almost all apparently actually work for the NHS). Its a long time since I shed so many tears and they were happy ones.

Edited by whopperdaisy

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sadiesmum

I watched in awe last night at the magnificent spectacle that Danny Boyle had created for the opening ceremony at the 2012 Olympics. what originality and imagination that man has, rather than the military precision of the Beijing Olympics we were taken on a historical journey through British industry, institution and creativity.

So proud to be British right now, I just hope that with home support our athletes have the best games ever!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
at least the football is being held in Old Trafford, Hampden Park and others

Am i right in thinking that no Scottish players are taking part?

If they aren't ..... why?

Guest Shell15

Didnt quite understand why the announcements over the speaker were given in French before english? As britain was the hosting country i feel it should have been in english... Anyone else think the same?

Guest guest36187

Let's be proud that we put on one hell of a show. It demonstrated the history of Britain, the music of Britain, events of Britain and the famous literature of Britain. Britain and particularly London has outdone itself this year with all the events.

Good on the Queen for her part. Good on Rowan Atkinson....how did the LSO keep a straight face!!!!

skipping back to Australia for a mo, did you see this? I love this!

Stolen shamelessly from Ali!

If the uk did an ad like this....what would you like to hear as the song?

Its just a spectacle. Does anyone else think that its an obscene waste of money when the country is financially in the poo? Vital services are underfunded to the point of collapse...but at least we can put on a good show....nah......not for me:no:

I do wish the dedicated athletes of both the UK and Australia all the very best though.

Miserable bugger

Guest AKA63029
For anyone moaning about the cost of the opening ceremony , how about members of the American basketball team earning more than 27 million a year ? I found that incredible .

I remember the 'strike' by the US baseball players Micky.

Salary caps were going to be bought in by the owners, now considering the players involved earned between 1 million and 15 million pounds a year it did stagger me that the whole league virtually closed down overnight.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It says the police arrested over 100 protesters outside the stadium last night, i only caught a brief clip of it on tv, anyone know anything about it?

Didnt quite understand why the announcements over the speaker were given in French before english? As britain was the hosting country i feel it should have been in english... Anyone else think the same?

No when it involved the Olympic Organisation or UN even Eurovision, French is the traditional language to use. It wasn't used very often..

It says the police arrested over 100 protesters outside the stadium last night, i only caught a brief clip of it on tv, anyone know anything about it?

It is a protest against Corporate greed. Some of the multi nationals having exclusive rights to games venures have their products made by cheap labour and children in some cases....There are more promised. Not against the games as such........