Partner Visa - Statements from friends and family

BritChickx

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any examples of the sort of thing that friends and family need to say in their statements about us being a genuine couple? Do they need to write 'i know they've been in a relationship since x y and z' or can it be more laid back than that? I'm gonna ask mine and pauls family if they can write statements for us but i'm not sure what to ask them to write! Also, do their statements need to be certified with passports and birth certificates? They're all in the UK.

Any help would be great!

Edited by BritChickx

Guest GeorgeD
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any examples of the sort of thing that friends and family need to say in their statements about us being a genuine couple? Do they need to write 'i know they've been in a relationship since x y and z' or can it be more laid back than that? I'm gonna ask mine and pauls family if they can write statements for us but i'm not sure what to ask them to write! Also, do their statements need to be certified with passports and birth certificates? They're all in the UK.

Any help would be great!

Don't worry too much about the format, everyone has a different style...if they all look the same then DIAC will think they have been instructed what to write! Basically get them to confirm they know you have both been together since time X. Tell them to put in as much detail as they want. It can be a few lines or a small novel! If there wre any details which help your case then get them to mention, for example, confirm they went to Paris for the weekend with you both, and then you refer tot he picture of the two of you with teh witness under the Eiffel Tower, etc. If you went to tehir wedding, get them to mention that and include a copy of the invite, etc. It all helps paint a picture.

If they aren't Aussies then you don't need their passports/birth certificates at all. that's only to prove theya re Australian (if they are) If they aren't Australian, then it doesn't matter so much who they are, so you don't need to do it.

What they should be is witnessed. This isn't certified. Certification is signign a copy of a document saying you have sighted the original and the copys is a true and exact copy. Witnessing is confirming that you have checked the ID of the person signing the document, adn they have signed it in front of you. In the UK, lawyers, Notaries, Commissioner of Oaths and JPs are the only occupations who should do this. If you have loads of evidence, the statements don't really matter,s o feel free to get a postman, bank manager, nurse, doctor, etc to do it...If you need your stat decs to lend weight to your case, get people to do it properly and go to a solicitor. The person witnessing doesn't need to see them write everything, the text can be typed, etc...they just need to see the person sign their name at the bottom.

Guest GeorgeD

Month is probably fine, but if you have any evidence to tie it to a specific date then that would be good. Feel free to prompt people with key events and dates...you'll be amazed how foggy people's memories can be. For example...my wife said in hers we met in December...I reminded her it was three weeks before her Birthday in June! I asked why she thought it was December, she said because she remembered it being cold and asking for my jacket and that it was near a birthday...mine is in December! Don't be surprised when you both write yours that you have slightly different versions of how it all unfolded!

At least try and make sure they get key facts such as months and places accurate, or at least the same as everyone else! The length and style is really each person's preference. My mate did a few bullet points for each section, my wife's sister wrote a Mills & Boon Novella.

We've only been together a year so it's still fresh in everyone's memories lol.

We put Ali and John met just after new year blah blah blah, they share household tasks they both contribute financially they have taken holidays together, they emotional support each other , they have shared holidays with each others parents etc etc. My bestfriend filled it in she said her kids stay with us on a regular basis . Our 2 statements were the same format DIAC were happy with them as they issued our visa today !!!