South Sydney Suburbs to live - advice required

Sydney Raider

Hi guys, need some advice

Gonna be movin to Sydney in November and just need some advice of suburbs to rent/buy in.

My wife has got a job in Kogarah so ideally we want to stay relativly close to that and avoid long commutes to work.

Initially we are looking at renting an apartment till we find our feet with a view to buying a house in around 6-12 months time. We understand that the coastal regions command the highest prices and dont mind moving inland a bit.

Where would you reccomend?

Anywhere in Sutherland Shire would be my recommendation. It is a lovely area, my hubby works in Hurstville and his commute is easy from here. It is affordable (for Sydney), good transport, beaches, shopping, close to Sydney cbd but not too close... Loads of plus points. We have been very happy here.

Guest perch

Second that. Anywhere in the Sutherland Shire. It has all the amenities, plus the train service will be perfect for the commute to Kogarah.

saw a thread on here regarding Cronulla and i'm very impressed with it, showed it to my wife and she fell in love with the place too, so it looks like its the Sutherland Shire for us then. Incedentally, how far is it from Cronulla to Kogarah roughly? just thinking about cycling, as we're shipping our bikes out there and are planning on cycling too and from work daily (weather permitting)

Map says about 12-13km. So do-able on a daily basis, I commute by bike in summer for a similar distance on the other side of the city. I don't do it in winter because I have to use a road that's pretty nasty in daylight and I'm not doing it in the dark on the way back home, too risky

I think that will be a relatively flat route too (for Sydney) so should be fine. I don't know the routes

Provision for cyclists in Sydney is surprisingly poor. Lots of steep hills, lots of busy roads with narrow lanes, drivers don't cut you much slack. Provision of cycle lanes etc depends on the council, a couple are good, some are OK, most are useless. It's not what I was expecting

To drive from Cronulla to Kogarah would take about 25-30 minutes in normal traffic, I'm not sure what that would be on a bike. Another alternative would be to live somewhere on the train line, so that you could catch the train. The Eastern and Illawarra line comes through Kogarah to Sutherland and then either on to Cronulla or down to Engadine. In my totally honest opinion I don't like Cronulla because it is busy and expensive, although there is plenty do. There are other parts of Sutherland Shire which offer more for less in my opinion (more beautiful, less populated, nicer people, cheaper housing...), but it does depend on what you want for your life.

Map says about 12-13km. So do-able on a daily basis, I commute by bike in summer for a similar distance on the other side of the city. I don't do it in winter because I have to use a road that's pretty nasty in daylight and I'm not doing it in the dark on the way back home, too risky

I think that will be a relatively flat route too (for Sydney) so should be fine. I don't know the routes

Provision for cyclists in Sydney is surprisingly poor. Lots of steep hills, lots of busy roads with narrow lanes, drivers don't cut you much slack. Provision of cycle lanes etc depends on the council, a couple are good, some are OK, most are useless. It's not what I was expecting

I agree with this. I don't cycle, but hubby won't cycle here because the other road users seem far less aware of cyclists. Sutherland Shire is fairly hilly, but Cronulla to Kogarah via Taren Point Road is pretty flat.

Moved to Miranda (sutherland shire) last month and loving the area. We have all the amenities on our door step, and although we're 25km from the city it still feels like things are going on. I grew up in the inner west of Sydney and much prefer the Shire. Can't wait to get out and about locally when summer starts to roll on.

We're three stops from Cronulla on the train, and with a limited stops train you would be in Kogarah in 20 mins (40 mins to city). Agree with LKC the Taren Point route to Kogarah is far more bike-friendly than Princes Highway route.

Alternatively, I hear places like Oatley and surrounding areas are quite nice and closer to Kogarah.

Thanks guys, spent some time looking online at propertys both for rent and to buy around the area. We've decided to rent initially for 6 months in Kogarah until we get ourselves establisted then move to the Sutherland Shire, with Cronulla our preffered destination after this 6 month period. Sarah (the wife) wants to be close to work initially till we get settled and get used to the area without having to worry about a commute from the offset. Just means that we can do without a car for a few weeks as well without the need to rush out and buy one before i bikes arrive from the Uk

Archived