What to do with the wee things?

Stovies

Hi, my question might sound petty but I have 3 days before the removalists arrive ... mild to medium panic is setting in so if anyone can answer the question ... what do I do with the wee things? For example the contents of dressing table drawers (hair things, clips, brushes, etc etc etc), contents of the kids desk drawers, contents of kitchen drawers, etc, do I bag them up and put them back in the drawer, or do the removalists have their own method of dealing with this? On a normal day, I would know the answer to this because I normally have pretty good common sense but, not today.

Guest guest17301

3 days...and your drawers are still full? I empathise...fab idea re bagging it up...not sure if it would work though...ring the removalists and ask...alternatives...throw it away...keep the good stuff and box it up...give it away.....we boxed our bits and bobs ourselves then the removals guys put them into bigger boxes...be ruthless....do you really need that hairclipfrom 2005 or that pencil sharpener that cost 50p?

Oh wow. Shouldn't my drawers still be full at 3 days? Panic meter has just gone into the med/high zone. I have been completely without ruths and thrown away lots. The things that are in there are things that would rattle around a big box. I phoned the removalists on Friday and the only advice they gave me is that everything should be clean and that the removalists would take care of everything... but I need more. I wanted her to tell me what to do with my velcro rollers and loose earrings.

Thanks northernbird, that's what I kind of thought by what the removalist said but couldn't get my head round it... seems too easy. I was told to fill any empty drawers with towels, bedding and the like too. The clouds are clearing but I still can't imagine that in 3 days there will be men in here packing all my stuff up .. I just don't feel ready even though I can't find anything else to dooooooooo!

Guest guest17301
We were told not to pack the contents of drawers. Our chests of drawers were just wrapped in cardboard and put in the container.

Unfortunately nobody told me that and I didnt take any drawers...wish I had would have saved me from silently weeping with panic on the last day when I had no idea what to do with said bits and pieces....oh the stress!!!

Oh wow. Shouldn't my drawers still be full at 3 days? Panic meter has just gone into the med/high zone. I have been completely without ruths and thrown away lots. The things that are in there are things that would rattle around a big box. I phoned the removalists on Friday and the only advice they gave me is that everything should be clean and that the removalists would take care of everything... but I need more. I wanted her to tell me what to do with my velcro rollers and loose earrings.

Do nothing except making sure you have enough tea/coffee and biscuits for the removal guys - they really will do everything and they have seen it all before. Also a little tip, any bottles of grog you have left or half empty ones - leave for the work men - they will be very happy to go the extra mile for you if make sure they are looked after!

NWM

Dont worry, the removalists will do everything. Thats their job, and they have seen it all. You can do as much or as little as you like. Being ruthless ..well thats both good and bad. Sure you can start all over again, but there will be lots you wished you had kept when you have to go and buy it again. When you get to the other end it will probably take ages to get all the boxes unpacked. You start by getting out the essentials first. The packers give you a list of the boxes and a brief description of the contents. Finding something that you were used to back home can be quite good. Some of the things you will keep for years, and I should know!

Get a sheet of labels & pen, roughly list the stuff in the boxes (as you would describe them) as they are packed, stick the label somewhere discrete. The list they give you is much too vague (eg. kitchen, bedroom, toys), you'll be forever hunting for items if you don't.