Brits taking over Perth's north

StevieF8

I would equate it to something akin to football rivals like Chelsea playing Spurs than anything sinister. Down the road from me is the Yugal Club of WA. It was more a Serb meeting place in the past but am told it is now a meeting place for all the ex Yugoslav states.

I don't understand why people get so high and mighty over people coming into 'their' country and displaying racial tension with other migrants. Sh1t happens, that's life. It's not like the 'indigenous' population, whether Aussie or Pom, is free of racial prejudice or above racial descrimination. Trying to pretend there's no racism and no intolerance, cos we're 'above all that' in Austraya (or UK) is IMO, total balls.

Also, this pervading attitude that migrants must adopt the Aussie (or British) 'way of life' is cobblers. What is the Aussie way of life? For some its beaches and BBQs, for others its meeting up at the Istrian Club to talk in Italian and play Bocce .

Inclusiveness is the only way to go IMO. The other way, that of begrudging tolerance of foreigners, who are but one step away from being branded as a criminal, or terrorist, is guaranteed to create more racial tension and hostility.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that it, you get a bit of hassle in every town in every part of the world mate, They are good people and the overall picture you paint is just not true.

You dont like Asians do you.

Where do you get the impression that I don't like them? I didn't like living in Sparkhill, that's for sure. I was replying to the post about not being much trouble with Indians and Pakistanis and pointing out there is a fair bit of trouble but not necessarily anything to do with race.

I don't understand why people get so high and mighty over people coming into 'their' country and displaying racial tension with other migrants. Sh1t happens, that's life. It's not like the 'indigenous' population, whether Aussie or Pom, is free of racial prejudice or above racial descrimination. Trying to pretend there's no racism and no intolerance, cos we're 'above all that' in Austraya (or UK) is IMO, total balls.

Also, this pervading attitude that migrants must adopt the Aussie (or British) 'way of life' is cobblers. What is the Aussie way of life? For some its beaches and BBQs, for others its meeting up at the Istrian Club to talk in Italian and play Bocce .

Inclusiveness is the only way to go IMO. The other way, that of begrudging tolerance of foreigners, who are but one step away from being branded as a criminal, or terrorist, is guaranteed to create more racial tension and hostility.

The intolerance to non confirmity in the sense that we should be the same. Thankfully Perth is shaking of slowly the impression that it is something of of a bolthole for Brits,Saffies and Kiwis and embracing the Indian Ocean region where it surely belongs.

Quite a number of the older Brits that I used to meet up to a decade back would actually state a big reason they left UK to escape the coloureds,as they used to call them at the time. At times I get a sense of deju vu reading some of the comments when ever the subject is raised on PiO.

Edited by flag of convenience

I wouldn't move any where because Brits lived there, or didn't but because I liked the area and felt it was what me and my family wanted and what it offered us . But I never want to be stuck in a pub full of blokes or a works canteen again with everyone talking about soccer ! This morning in the gym we talked about Greg inglis's hit on Dean Young and how long he might be banned for . Proper man philosophy !

I would equate it to something akin to football rivals like Chelsea playing Spurs than anything sinister. Down the road from me is the Yugal Club of WA. It was more a Serb meeting place in the past but am told it is now a meeting place for all the ex Yugoslav states.

Sadly a bit more than football rivalry . I would guess that being married into a Serb- Croat family and having worked with refugees from the former Yugoslavia for most of the past 18 months I have more of an insight than most . Amusing it can be and has turned me into a peace keeping UN figure on some jobs . Working on for an Afghan fellow who was mujadheen/Taliban against the Russians, With Bosnian Moslim tilers , Croatian catholic painters and Serbian orthodox gyprockers. I was the one line of communication between them all . not so much violence in Brisbane but they told me about attacks in Melbourne . Of course they all liked me. Once i had told them I didn't vote for Tony Blair . He seemed to be the only common denominator apart from our immigrant status .

Sadly a bit more than football rivalry . I would guess that being married into a Serb- Croat family and having worked with refugees from the former Yugoslavia for most of the past 18 months I have more of an insight than most . Amusing it can be and has turned me into a peace keeping UN figure on some jobs . Working on for an Afghan fellow who was mujadheen/Taliban against the Russians, With Bosnian Moslim tilers , Croatian catholic painters and Serbian orthodox gyprockers. I was the one line of communication between them all . not so much violence in Brisbane but they told me about attacks in Melbourne . Of course they all liked me. Once i had told them I didn't vote for Tony Blair . He seemed to be the only common denominator apart from our immigrant status .

I used to work in the settlement area and we had a mixed group from former Yugoslavia and they got along well. I suppose those that had issues didn't attend but you'll please everybody nor should one. There are issues on a small scale connected with sport and the colours but not a lot different different than along normal football terms. I'd say there isn't too much hatred really. Otherwise the Croats and Bosnians would have surely supported Blair's bombing of the Serbs?

Edited by flag of convenience

The afghan and the Bosnian supported the bombing of Serbs , but hate Blair for Iraq and afghanistan , and they all think they would have won without NATO intervention . Strangely they were all nice , generous people . The Serb was happily married to a Moslim woman living in Croatia under Tito , until communism collapsed and they were burnt out of their homes . Some were burnt in their homes . He fought the Croatians in the Serb army for many years but couldn't get a Serb passport so ended up homeless in a UN camp .displaced people , same stories from all sides . Entire villages massacred , friends , family . Some have left it behind but I feel what happened is a bit more than football rivalry and should not be allowed to continue . It's important we learn from history .