Brits taking over Perth's north

StevieF8

…what’s wrong with trying to preserve their way of life, they are happy with it and they want it to stay that way…it’s an admirable attitude to have

Maybe if the UK had done that half the poms wouldnt be here in the first place,lol..

Cal x

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole the Brits in Oz are, yes some of the backpackers can be idiots, but given that your average Brit can’t just walk into Australia without some sort of skilled job, that makes them better than the fools that spend all summer trashing Benidorm and the like….

It has nothing to do with either country being ‘White Anglo-Saxon’ it’s do with people trying to take over and others being forced to change their way of life because of them….or possibly people changing their attitudes so as not to offend the minority whilst offending the majority…it’s not always clear which is actually happening at times

I’ll come round your house and tell you how to live, see how you’d like that? Bet you wouldn’t…..

Well Australians take that attitude and apply it to their whole country…what’s wrong with trying to preserve their way of life, they are happy with it and they want it to stay that way…it’s an admirable attitude to have

But it’s not just Australia that has that attitude….

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/saudi-warns-non-muslims-not-to-eat-drink-smoke-in-public-on-ramadan-or-face-expulsion/2012/07/20/gJQA5wdkxW_story.html

Remember when you are talking about australians you are talking about asian and chinese australians also.

Guest guest17301
Maybe if the UK had done that half the poms wouldnt be here in the first place,lol..

Cal x

Oooh you cant say that Cal!!:dull:

:wink:

Wait till Australia day, and the .... Off we are full banners come out.

That is something called 'National Pride'...go to the US on 4th of July and you will see it there as well

Aussies do not like the immagration into oz and make it known on the t shirts they wear and the car stickers, they dislike the number f jobs going to immagrants which includes Asians Brits Chinese etc, it is the same as the people in the uk who moan about immagrants taking all the jobs.

That is called 'Freedom of Speech' they used to have it in the UK until about 15 years ago

It has nothing to do with either country being ‘White Anglo-Saxon’ it’s do with people trying to take over and others being forced to change their way of life because of them….or possibly people changing their attitudes so as not to offend the minority whilst offending the majority…it’s not always clear which is actually happening at times

Who is trying to take over? Do you live in Iran or Syria? This sort of thinking just comes across as paranoia IMO

I’ll come round your house and tell you how to live, see how you’d like that? Bet you wouldn’t…..

Well Australians take that attitude and apply it to their whole country…what’s wrong with trying to preserve their way of life, they are happy with it and they want it to stay that way…it’s an admirable attitude to have

It doesnt work trying to artificially create an anachronistic time warp. Australia has evolved with successive waves of migration, and has become a much more tolerant and interesting place IMO, thanks to the Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.

Nothing wrong with cherishing a way of life, but life evolves, times change.

I just don't get the PoV that thinks as a native Brit anyone is "trying to tell you how to live" in the UK

I see communities wanting to live how they want to live. You might think that's a good thing or a bad thing, personally I don't think it's black & white (scuse the pun). I don't see anyone trying to stop locals living how they want

Why s it only white Australians that wear and display these racist remarka about australia is full etc, why do you not see Asian Chinese Australians also wearing and displaying them?

you often read in the news about the racist filth extremist Australian muslims spout about non-believers

Who is trying to take over? Do you live in Iran or Syria? This sort of thinking just comes across as paranoia IMO

"Brits taking over Perth's north"....so a few thousands Brits move to North Perth and this headline runs in the paper

But at the same time in the UK.....

Birmingham has the smallest British population by percentage of many of the major British cities

In 2007, it was estimated 33.3% of its population was non-white, whereas London, commonly seen as the most diverse of British cities was 30.4% non-white. This is compared to Liverpool which was only 7.7% non-white

Lets see if any newspaper in the UK would dare to run the headline 'Pakistani's & Indians taking over Birminham'....or would that be racist?

Why s it only white Australians that wear and display these racist remarka about australia is full etc, why do you not see Asian Chinese Australians also wearing and displaying them?

Actually PB the only person I know who has one of these stickers is a school friend of my son and he's a first generation middle eastern Aust.

Lets see if any newspaper in the UK would dare to run the headline 'Pakistani's & Indians taking over Birminham'....or would that be racist?

I don't think they would dare, no, but it's a false comparison. If there were areas that were 30% or so Scots or Irish though, they'd probably feel safe printing it. It's safe for them to print because you're talking about people from a broadly similar cultural background, and yes, mostly white. Which does make a difference in the way such a headline is going to be perceived whether you want it to or not

You wouldn't get an Aussie paper printing "Chinese taking over North Sydney" either. But plenty of people moan about it

Birmingham has the smallest British population by percentage of many of the major British cities

In 2007, it was estimated 33.3% of its population was non-white, whereas London, commonly seen as the most diverse of British cities was 30.4% non-white. This is compared to Liverpool which was only 7.7% non-white

Earlier you said "It has nothing to do with either country being ‘White Anglo-Saxon’"

Lets see if any newspaper in the UK would dare to run the headline 'Pakistani's & Indians taking over Birminham'

I'm sure the Daily Mail or the Sun would be game to have a crack at it.

Earlier you said "It has nothing to do with either country being ‘White Anglo-Saxon’"

It isn't....

I just posted this in PB's new thread....

The debate is not about if Australians are white, black, yellow, brown, green, orange or purple

99% of people dont care about any of that

What they do care about is having to change their way of life to suit the people that want to come to their country

Why does anyone think they can choose to go and live in another country and be arrogant enough to think they can go and change it

Try it with Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Iran....even America....go to any of these places and when you get there, tell them they now have to fit around you your lifestyle and your way of life

See how you get on....

Apart from the biggest ghetto in the world , child slave labour , horrific work place health and safety , people sh7tting in parks , rats the size of dogs , contaminated water supplies to the poor , irregular power supply , human remains in the rivers , mutilated child beggars . But definitely more vibrant than Birmingham !

As beautiful and modern as Perth was my trip to joondalup shopping centre and seeing the windows of cars covered in man utd , Liverpool and other soccer teams , soccer personalised number plates and so many soccer shirts left me with the feeling I didn't fit in so I effed off to Queensland !

Mumbai is a city of contrasts. Probaly the most expensive real estate in India, the centre for commerce and India's door to the world. It is rich in film making and some really good clubs and entertainment. There is poverty and many living on the streets along with what I think is the biggest brothel in India but a great city to spend a few weeks especially if there's someone to show you the ropes.

I think there's nothing wrong with Brits and English in pariticular living how ever they wish in the northern suburbs. Just feel some are not so tolerant to immigrants at home.

Got a Newcastle shirt myself. Not that I support the Geordie firm, it was given to me but does keep them guessing on the few times I wear it.

Aussies do not like the immagration into oz and make it known on the t shirts they wear and the car stickers, they dislike the number f jobs going to immagrants which includes Asians Brits Chinese etc, it is the same as the people in the uk who moan about immagrants taking all the jobs.

You should not be thinking.

Seems to be a pretty benign article using a barman as a human interest angle to make a story about the latest census figures less dry. Light hearted ribbing at worst with almost the whole story positive about Brits.

That's how I saw it too. The people who saw anything different are half empty folk.

ALEX Bowen says he's the "odd man out". An Australian in his own country, he shouldn't feel he's part of a minority. But he does.

Pulling pints at The Boat pub in Mindarie, he often struggles with the assortment of strong English, Scottish and Welsh accents that bounce around the bar.

Mindarie is the epicentre of a cluster of northern coastal suburbs that the British High Commission in Canberra recognises as the biggest concentration of Brits outside the UK.

And according to the latest census, their stranglehold on the area is tightening. Outsiders straying into the coastal strip can be forgiven for thinking the old colony, as the English jokingly call it, has been re-colonised.

Mr Bowen, an assistant manager at the pub, says he's outnumbered at work.

"There are a couple of other Aussies who work here, but I would say it's about 60 per cent English," he said.

"While I do sometimes feel a bit like the odd man out, having them behind the bar is pretty handy. I find it hard to understand the different accents, so it's good to have colleagues who can understand them."

Steve Alderson is another Mindarie-based Australian surrounded by Brits as well as a good sprinkling of South Africans. As president of the local soccer club Quinns ** who unsurprisingly play in red, white and blue he's been adopted by the expats who've made the club the fastest-growing in Perth.

"It was a bit of an eye-opener for me," he said. "I moved over from Newcastle, New South Wales, and there were hardly any Brits in our club over there, it was truly Aussie."

Love of the game in the "proudly Pommy suburbs" is evident in all the soccer jerseys worn at the local Ocean Keys Shopping Centre and car stickers swearing allegiance to English and Scottish clubs, rather than the Eagles and Dockers.

Down the road at Edith Cowan University's Joondalup campus, you can even enrol for the "only university course of its kind in Australia" a degree in soccer.

According to last year's census, the seven most English suburbs in Australia are all located along Perth's northern coastal strip.

The new suburb of Jindalee tops the list with 36.6 per cent, Mindarie has 27.3, Connolly 27, Burns Beach 26.9, Carramar 24 per cent, Butler 23.45 per cent and Tapping 22 per cent. When you add the Scots and Welsh into the mix, it's higher. And when the Australian-born children of these expats are subtracted, second-generation Aussies are thin on the ground.

Of 7420 inhabitants of Mindarie, only 1718 can claim both parents were born in this country (23.15 per cent). In Butler, only 2512 (26 per cent) of 9651 residents are second-generation Australians and in Jindalee, only 220 of 1181 (18.6) per cent can say the same.

All up, 230,501 West Australians were born in the UK. Kiwis make up the second-biggest migrant group (70,730), followed by South Africans (35,323) whose numbers have almost doubled since the 2006 census.

The British High Commissioner to Australia, Paul Madden, said the nation had the largest number of UK expats, followed by the US and Spain. WA was, historically, the first port of call for most of them, including his own aunt.

"My mother's sister was a 'Ten Pound Pom' who settled in Freo in the '60s," he said. "The economic dynamism, the great climate and the outdoor lifestyle make it a really attractive place to live. These people-to-people links are one important part of the very close relationship between Britain and Australia."

Mindarie MP John Quigley believes the high concentration of Brits in his constituency has had a positive effect on the area.

"Contrary to what people say about whingeing Poms, my experience as a local representative is that they are a group which seldom have anything to complain about compared with my previous electorate of Innaloo," he said.

"They generally have a very positive attitude and are grateful to be living by the beach, in the land of milk and honey.

"I only have one complaint to make about them. When I go down to watch the Rugby World Cup or the cricket, I find I am the only one barracking for Australia. They all still barrack for England. I have had many an argument over a pint of Guinness. But apart from that I think it's great."

The 2011 census highlighted significant changes in Perth's ethnic and cultural mix from the 2006 census.

The number of Indian residents jumped from 14,096 to 29,918 and the number of Chinese to make their home here doubled from 8001 to 16,691.

There was an even bigger jump in migrants from the Philippines, from 6866 to 17,230.

I always stayed away from the poms in oz ............most of my mates were aussies .............i found the poms , bloody strange ..........the irish as always stuck together , and were openly irish ...........the poms seemed to " try too hard to fit in " to me ..........couldnt get on with many of them .

The aussies suss you very quickly ...........doesnt matter what personality type you are , i found them very inclusive ............i used to give out plenty and got plenty back ......IN THE MAIN GOOD BLOKES ...........mates first .......everything else , a distant second

Can you not find an employer to sponsor you? If you find a job i would of thought it is pretty straightforward to get in?

That's what I am having trouble with. I had an interview in March for a railway job in Perth. Was unfortunate not to get it but there were 8 positions and 16 applicants. Two of my collegues managed to get picked, I missed out. They have both just completed their employer checks and are now awaiting a 475 visa. Had I just managed to get in we would have been going in October. Gutted !!!

Anyway I'm applying but the bait I am using isn't working so I have to be patient. That interview was the closest I came to going. Thing is the employer was under the impression that I had to be under 45 and I was trying to explain that for a 475 visa there was no age limit. Something went against me but my two colleagues will see what they can do for me when they get over there and settled in. Might be another year or two yet.

BHP Billiton have my aplication under review but its been under review since March. Connex, QR, and Rio said thanks but no thanks and ARTC and Geelong&Wyoming didn't even reply to my application. Amor Fati, if it happens then it was meant to be, everything for a reason just don't know what that bloody reason is though.

Edited by MACDONALDO67
slip of the finger. s next to d Argh!