Brits taking over Perth's north

StevieF8

Why that would be interesting to you in your little enclave of Stratford-Upon-Avon escapes me though PB. I would have thought you would have been more interested in the number of ethnic minorities which may affect you way of life than being interested in what's happening on the other side of the world.

Just like you never comment on anything and everything that happens in the uk, I notice you ar at your most lively on here when there is ever a negative story about the uk.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed change is at long last coming to Perth. The traditional Brit, RSA, NZ retreat has opened its doors a bit wider. The next census in 2016 should be very interesting.

Well I am not 100% sure if it is a good thing, India is a big step culturally away from say Britian. Nothing wrong with that of course, depends on what sort of society you want ot build.

To be honest I am not really too much in favour of this US style multiculturalism - seen what it has done to the UK.

Just my opinion, appreciate that other will differ on the subject.

Well I am not 100% sure if it is a good thing, India is a big step culturally away from say Britian. Nothing wrong with that of course, depends on what sort of society you want ot build.

To be honest I am not really too much in favour of this US style multiculturalism - seen what it has done to the UK.

Just my opinion, appreciate that other will differ on the subject.

Found mre tension between the many races in oz to be honest.

I thought this thread was about a WA bartender complaining about the number of Brits in Perth? I can’t believe some of the replies or the irony of some of the posts. Isn’t the original article a tongue in cheek complaint about suburbs full of poms, large numbers of people wearing their UK football shirts, accents that can’t be understood, and the local uni changing its courses to meet the needs of immigrants? Doesn’t any of that ring any bells with people who are complaining about immigrants in the UK? People are people the world over. Good, bad, honest, dishonest, hardworking, skivers, they have mortgages, dreams for their kids and the same worries as every one else. The colour of someone's skin and the clothes they wear have little to do with their strength of character or integrity. It just means other people can identify them more easily and make all sorts of assumptions, should they feel the need to. :mad:

Not of course that there is anything wrong with Mumbai.Doubt if Birmingham would compare much with the vibe felt in Mumbai. Never been to Brum though...but do know Mumbai a bit.

Apart from the biggest ghetto in the world , child slave labour , horrific work place health and safety , people sh7tting in parks , rats the size of dogs , contaminated water supplies to the poor , irregular power supply , human remains in the rivers , mutilated child beggars . But definitely more vibrant than Birmingham !

As beautiful and modern as Perth was my trip to joondalup shopping centre and seeing the windows of cars covered in man utd , Liverpool and other soccer teams , soccer personalised number plates and so many soccer shirts left me with the feeling I didn't fit in so I effed off to Queensland !

People are people the world over. Good, bad, honest, dishonest, hardworking, skivers, they have mortgages, dreams for their kids and the same worries as every one else.

To be honest, it isnt really a question of the persons skin colour. It goes far beyond that and is perhaps difficult to grasp. Like the Australian that finds it difficult to understand a Welshmans accent or the surprise when 60% of his neighbourhood is supporting the 'other' team. In this case it is pretty harmless because culturally we have more similarities than differences but in other situations it can lead to a lot of wasted money and community conflict.

I think Australia should be picky about where immigrants come from and be realistic about how they assimilate into australian culture. They should really look at the cost of failed immigrants and their families 2/3rd generation that still refuse to intergrate. Germany for instance is struggling to intergrate relatvily 'western' Turks 40 years after they arrived.

For example australia has some of the most violent Islamic fundamentalist in the developed world.

Edited by jove

Petals:- "Give it thirty years and you will get the Aussie humour. He is having a laugh."

Öh good, I've only got 1 more year to go and I'll be OK then!

If you have been here this long and still don't understand the barman wasn't having a go at anyone I doubt you will ever understand us (Aussies).

nothing wrong with the area and yes Ive been there (a little far from the centre for me) but what i was saying was that why move to Oz if you want to be surrounded by brits, why not just stay in the UK

I imagine if I was a British child of immigrants to Britain, I'd find this comment quite offensive

nothing wrong with the area and yes Ive been there (a little far from the centre for me) but what i was saying was that why move to Oz if you want to be surrounded by brits, why not just stay in the UK

Who said they want to be surrounded by Brits? Just because you have moved somewhere doesn't mean you have to forget where you are from. Just because I have Tattoo's doesnt make some sort of thug as previously implied. I also have a masters degree and three accountancy qualifications.

I have moved here and will fully embrace this country while I am here but that doesn't mean I have to be self righteous and avoid people from the UK.

Aussies do not like the immagration into oz and make it known on the t shirts they wear and the car stickers, they dislike the number f jobs going to immagrants which includes Asians Brits Chinese etc, it is the same as the people in the uk who moan about immagrants taking all the jobs.

I personally think the wave of British mirgrants to perth will slow, I see it as many British people will have had a large proportain of their equalty in their uk property vanish since 2008 and the very strong Aussie dollar hit them with a double blow. I'm guessing the average price of property in mindarie will be around 600000-700000 making it almost impossible for new mirgrants to buy in the northern corridor . Even if you have 100000 pounds that's only 150000 AUD. minus from a propert with a value of 6-7000000 dollars that's a unsustainable mortgage. In butler your still be paying around 500000 for a bog standard 4x2. I was having a coffee last week and heard someone say they brought a property 10 years ago for 270000 AUD and it's now worth 3 million AUD. property in Perth is massively overpriced by Australian and world standards and there's one massive crash coming here in the future. How can new British mirgrants sell up and move here on a crap exchange rate god only knows. Perth is very over rated ,all this land and prices are what they are today, good luck to any one coming over but don't buy a house, I feel the wave of poms will slow right down. Go east way better there...!

Guest guest17301

All of the Aussies Ive met have never given me that impression...quite the opposite in fact...Ive met one or two in the last 3 and a half years who have said something mildly offensive re poms...thats out of hundreds....

I think there will be a proportion of Aussies who whinge re migrants usually the dole bludgers who cba to do something about their own dire situation....same in UK...those who shout the loudest are generally the laziest sun reader types

All of the Aussies Ive met have never given me that impression...quite the opposite in fact...Ive met one or two in the last 3 and a half years who have said something mildly offensive re poms...thats out of hundreds....

I think there will be a proportion of Aussies who whinge re migrants usually the dole bludgers who cba to do something about their own dire situation....same in UK...those who shout the loudest are generally the laziest sun reader types

:biglaugh: Bang on the mark there I would say Fiona :biggrin: Those that had never worked a day in their lives nor were their children ever likely too, but would still moan about the people coming in and taking their jobs!

And there will always be 'certain poms' who only seem to attract these types of Aussies, and thus miss out on what good people the majority of Australians area.. I guess it must depend on your social circle and interactions to some extent.

In short - Di&kh@ads will always attract di&kh@ads !

Cal x

Guest guest17301

You get a lot of banter...and thats all it is....you can generally pick the types that wouldnt last 5 mins in an Aussie workplace....the ones that cant tell the difference between pi33 taking and bullying.....

Of course, Brits are a better class of 'foreigner'

On the whole the Brits in Oz are, yes some of the backpackers can be idiots, but given that your average Brit can’t just walk into Australia without some sort of skilled job, that makes them better than the fools that spend all summer trashing Benidorm and the like….

And? Australian and Britain should both be defined by being a White Anglo Saxon? Get real mate. You remind me of the old bloke I had the misfortune of sharing the same bus stop with in LUTON. He bemoaned all the 'Stanis' taking over the country. This was over 30 years ago

It has nothing to do with either country being ‘White Anglo-Saxon’ it’s do with people trying to take over and others being forced to change their way of life because of them….or possibly people changing their attitudes so as not to offend the minority whilst offending the majority…it’s not always clear which is actually happening at times

See, this is precisely the sort of attitude I hate, basically fit in or f88k off

I’ll come round your house and tell you how to live, see how you’d like that? Bet you wouldn’t…..

Well Australians take that attitude and apply it to their whole country…what’s wrong with trying to preserve their way of life, they are happy with it and they want it to stay that way…it’s an admirable attitude to have

But it’s not just Australia that has that attitude….

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/saudi-warns-non-muslims-not-to-eat-drink-smoke-in-public-on-ramadan-or-face-expulsion/2012/07/20/gJQA5wdkxW_story.html