189 nurse visa brain-ache! What order do I proceed?

Guest nursievix

Guest nursievix

Hi guys! New here. Been reading some posts for the last few days and wondering if I could get some feedback!

Basically, long term, long distance but fully committed boyfriend and I want to finally live in the same place. But also have the freedom to come and go together or separately, travelling here and there. I just finished three years of training as a nurse last year so had no way of living near him, and he was paying off a mortgage by working in the arctic. Needless to say, both my UK and his Australia will not accept this as a full time committed relationship by their criteria. I now have a years experience as a nurse and was thinking of the 189 visa, so that I'm not committed to a particular State, work-wise.

This new scheme is baffling me a little. It seems to want all the paperwork done and ready, i.e., medicals, ielts, skill assessment. But the medical quotes I've received want an application number off me before they can proceed. I want to know I've got my planning in the right order because I know if you get an invite to an expression of interest, you are time limited to reply with the full whack of documents. But then again i dont want stuff like medicals and ielts tests to expire if its a long wait. And at what point do I need to apply for nursing registration? If this whole process takes years, i could have to renew it before even using it. What a pig.

Talking of long waits, im beginning to think my original idea of getting hitched is much more straightforward, faster, but he doesn't believe in marriage. I'd still have to jump thru a few hoops to get nursing registrstion, but at least I could do that with residency already in place.

Soooo, sorry bout the rambling, but if anyone's got experience of getting their stuff together for thus new 188 visa who can share the process with me, that'd be great. And nurses, did you have to get all your medicals, ielts, nursing skills assessment, etc done before submitting an EoI?

Cheers guys!

Vix

Hi guys! New here. Been reading some posts for the last few days and wondering if I could get some feedback!

Basically, long term, long distance but fully committed boyfriend and I want to finally live in the same place. But also have the freedom to come and go together or separately, travelling here and there. I just finished three years of training as a nurse last year so had no way of living near him, and he was paying off a mortgage by working in the arctic. Needless to say, both my UK and his Australia will not accept this as a full time committed relationship by their criteria. I now have a years experience as a nurse and was thinking of the 189 visa, so that I'm not committed to a particular State, work-wise.

This new scheme is baffling me a little. It seems to want all the paperwork done and ready, i.e., medicals, ielts, skill assessment. But the medical quotes I've received want an application number off me before they can proceed. I want to know I've got my planning in the right order because I know if you get an invite to an expression of interest, you are time limited to reply with the full whack of documents. But then again i dont want stuff like medicals and ielts tests to expire if its a long wait. And at what point do I need to apply for nursing registration? If this whole process takes years, i could have to renew it before even using it. What a pig.

Talking of long waits, im beginning to think my original idea of getting hitched is much more straightforward, faster, but he doesn't believe in marriage. I'd still have to jump thru a few hoops to get nursing registrstion, but at least I could do that with residency already in place.

Soooo, sorry bout the rambling, but if anyone's got experience of getting their stuff together for thus new 188 visa who can share the process with me, that'd be great. And nurses, did you have to get all your medicals, ielts, nursing skills assessment, etc done before submitting an EoI?

Cheers guys!

Vix

You need to do Ielts and certain score gets you certain points. You don't need work experience but if you have 3 years or more you get extra points. You Do need Skills assessment done with the correct assessing authority in OZ but that is likely to just mean sending copies of you Nursing qualification paperwork to OZ. That is all you need. You will only need to do Medicals, police clearance etc (Actually you should NOT do them until instructed) after you have been invited to apply for the actual visa and contacted by a case officer.

So for you it would only be the IELTS and the skills assessment and you could lodge your EOI.

The da facto relationship needs 12 months of certain relational conditions (many threads on this on PIO) before you can lodge it. So even if you wanted to get in you could say be together (under circumstances fit for da facto status) for 6 months, you could lodge your EOI. You then have no idea how long it will be before you are invited to apply but if it is another 6 months then when you get a CO you will submit a change of status form relating to your qualified da facto relationship (you would now have been together 12 months) and your partner can be added to your visa app. If you were invited earlier you can still get the visa but then with a PR visa your partner could apply for a spousal visa after the 12 months but I am not certain how these visa's work.

Cheers guys!

Vix

You probably have a number of visa strategies available. May I suggest you consult a registered migration agent?

Guest melanie79

hi vix, ive sent you a pm with more detail in it so let me know if you have/havent received it. NO medicals/police checks until a case officer tells you too if your going down the permanent residency route.you need to have a look at the diac website to see if you will meet the points score 1st to see if you would be eligible for a visa then you need skills assessment with ANMAC. you will also need to sit the ACADEMIC ielts too (if you look on anmac website itwill tell you this is part of the criteria. anmac is taking around 14 weeks to process so my advice would be to book an ielts (as they book up very quick) then when you have passed that, apply with anmac for positive skills assessment then when all of that is done then you meet the criteria to proceed down visa route. medicals, police checks are way down the line. best of luck, mel!

Cheers guys!

Vix

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nursievix

Thanks everyone for the info!! I've had no computer for a while, so sorry for the late reply...!

I'm still in a quandary about whether I have enough experience or not to make the application go ahead, and would my one year's experience maybe be allowed by ANMC but then not sponsored when I lodge my EOI...? I can't seem to get a definitive answer from any one source, oh brain ache! I'll lose 5 points if I wait til after my birthday in November, but it wouldn't all go through by then anyway, so I'd only have 60 points by the time I'm halfway through the application, etc. So maybe I might just chill out and try not to beat myself up about all the unknowns...!

I've since noticed that my nursing degree breakdown of modules and hours done is incorrect (a whole year's hours missing!) so I'm going to have to go back to the University and demand that they do it again, properly.... who's betting they charge me for the privelege..?!

Good luck with your applications (especially Mel, who sent me loooads of useful info!)

Vix x x

Guest melanie79

hi! sent you a pm, but for anoine else wondering: i think its minimum 3 years work experience needed (outside australia) for diac 5 points. 1 year in australia for 5 diac points. have look on www.immi.gov.au skillselect, then 189 visa, then points heading.

Thanks everyone for the info!! I've had no computer for a while, so sorry for the late reply...!

I'm still in a quandary about whether I have enough experience or not to make the application go ahead, and would my one year's experience maybe be allowed by ANMC but then not sponsored when I lodge my EOI...? I can't seem to get a definitive answer from any one source, oh brain ache! I'll lose 5 points if I wait til after my birthday in November, but it wouldn't all go through by then anyway, so I'd only have 60 points by the time I'm halfway through the application, etc. So maybe I might just chill out and try not to beat myself up about all the unknowns...!

I've since noticed that my nursing degree breakdown of modules and hours done is incorrect (a whole year's hours missing!) so I'm going to have to go back to the University and demand that they do it again, properly.... who's betting they charge me for the privelege..?!

Good luck with your applications (especially Mel, who sent me loooads of useful info!)

Vix x x