Posted off RPL to ACS -

Guest happygolucky

Guest happygolucky

:?:

Just posted off my RPL to the ACS, and am now waiting for the results, cant help but feel nervous, i have nine yrs IT experience, anyone else in a similar position or who has received a positve assessment with similar years experience.!!

Guest choobs
:?:

Just posted off my RPL to the ACS, and am now waiting for the results, cant help but feel nervous, i have nine yrs IT experience, anyone else in a similar position or who has received a positve assessment with similar years experience.!!

Yup:) I'm sure you'll be fine. What field are you in?

Choobs

Guest happygolucky

Fingers crossed - spent 5 years as a Business Analyst, working mainly in data warehousing and also ERP and then the past 4 years as a project manager...

Guest choobs
Fingers crossed - spent 5 years as a Business Analyst, working mainly in data warehousing and also ERP and then the past 4 years as a project manager...

Sounds like you're fine - I know that many people find documenting the project management aspects of the RPL the hardest part. Being able to write coherently about methodologies like PRINCE2 helps a lot. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

You going for an MODL asco code?

Choobs

Guest happygolucky

I found the whole thing quite a challenge - Re the PRINCE 2 thing, included my certificates but to be honest didnt write too much about it tended to concentrate on the training i have had previously in project manaement core body of knowledge and how i have applied what i have learnt over the years to projects. To be honest the majority of my training on PRINCE has been in the last 12mths, with my company on really jsut starting to use it now on projects - least its on there.... i guess

Overall because i not deeply technical, i also wrote alot about business analysis, and different methodologies/techniques and things like data modelling and data warehousing.

Re the MODL code, i have emailed my agent when i posted the forms to him,!

Feel like my head is going to explode, keep thinking now i should of added more detail and etc etc.... ahhhh

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

Try not to worry. What is done is done. From what you've suggested so far, it seems that you've covered a lot of the bases already. You have focussed on what you have learnt and how you have applied these learnings, especially around methodologies. This is what they want. And remember that the CBOK is to try and substantiate unproven learnings - you can prove you've learnt the PRINCE 2 stuff!! So try not to worry.

I have a Maths degree and the only thing I mentioned in the CBOK about that was to list the relevant modules for each area. I also sent off the certificate, transcript, and syllabi. They assessed me as being in group B, so must have been satisfied that my degree had at least 20% IT content - even if I wasn't!!

The application is gone now, so there's nothing more that you can do. Just relax (or try to) and enjoy the relief that you no longer have to write the stuff!! Waiting is the easy part!!

Good luck,

Dazz

You wait, Dazz! Although I'm involved in getting a Contributory Parent visa for my mother, not in the skilled stuff, it still took agges to understand all the criteria, get a couple of technical legal queries cleared up with DIMA, then get all the paperwork together, do all the photocopying, make sure that the whole lot was properly certified etc ad eventually send the bloody thing off.

My sense of relief lasted exactly 6 weeks, at which point the MOC raised a medical query which neither of my mother's doctors or the Panel Doctor had been expecting. That has been sorted and dealt with and is now out of the way, but lately I've been feeling the strains of Limbo Land.

Nothing is happening, hard information is impossible to obtain, and they keep lengthening the goalposts for how long the CP applications are taking. Have you ever tried to pick up a jelly in your bare hands? That is what the damned thing has become like for all parents and their offspring in recent weeks.

DIMA doesn't mention that an implied term of the contract between themselves and the applicant is that they will ensure a near nervous breakdown for everybody on the applicant's side of the fence, I can assure you!

You wait! You'll be feeling the strain sometime too unless your type of visa is reasonably quick! My mother's application was sent off in mid-Nov 2005, 7 months ago now, and just NOTHING is happening at all. This with a visa that costs £20,000 per parent, I might add!

However, sorry to butt in and good luck to everyone on this thread. Sometimes one just needs a RANT about the whole thing!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Feel free to rant!! I was merely refering to the ACS RPL skills assessment, rather than the visa application. As far as the skills assessment goes, I spent 6 months writing 25,000+ words for it, so the 10 weeks wait for the result was a blessing. Yes, I was stressed a little bit, but I had an extra 2 hours a day on my hands which helped the feeling.

I am well aware that the waiting part is the worst bit of the visa applications though! I'm about to submit mine imminently as a 136 non-MODL, so I doubt I'll hear anything back until January/February time. But since I'm expecting that, I probably won't begin stressing until December!

I think they want to trigger an almost-breakdown for applicants to ensure that they really want to go over! However, they don't want the cost of dealing with breakdowns, so whilst they will push you to the edge, they won't push you over!! Well hopefully anyway!

Good luck with it all,

Dazz

Hi Dazz

I think your analysis is absolutely accurate. Testing one's resolve is definitely part of the reason for the torture! The rest is probably just sadism.....

Cheers

Gill

Guest choobs
Hi Gill,

Feel free to rant!! I was merely refering to the ACS RPL skills assessment, rather than the visa application. As far as the skills assessment goes, I spent 6 months writing 25,000+ words for it, so the 10 weeks wait for the result was a blessing. Yes, I was stressed a little bit, but I had an extra 2 hours a day on my hands which helped the feeling.

Dazz

My RPL came in at about 25k words as well. The difference is I did it in five days. Basically, i took a week off work, locked myself in the bedroom with a laptop and worked on it 10 hours a day. I just know that if I hadn't done that, I'd have dragged it on for months and months and I'm too impatient :)

Choobs

Guest choobs
:)

Roughly how long does it take for the ACS to come back to you - ???

It was just over a month for us - I've heard it can take three, but that's quite unusual.

Cheers

Choobs

Guest scoop
visa that costs £20,000 per parent, I might add!

I was hoping I may convince my parents to come across at some stage after reading posts on here. Now I am not so sure!!

SCoop

x

Archived