Just back from annual holiday in UK

friedparsley

We had a lovely day yesterday me the wife and kids had a sumptuous carvery meal at my sisters hotel, we visited my family the kids saw my 88 year old mum for the first time in a while, she has been really poorly and we sat out in the garden in the sun, it was great.

Sun bathing in your budgies?

Yeah its funny, Paul can't seem to make any reference to the UK without an air of withering disapproval, re the weather, the houses, the 'ghettos', the poor unfortunate people who have to live there because they didn't get the chance he did...

i know , i do feel a poorsoul stuck here in western europe ...........its terrible ..............wish i was back in Perth NOT...........

I could go back but i have a holiday in Dorset .......then Disneyland Paris .......if i dont get shot or mugged ......or they dont close my pub down ...........Perth , you can keep it .

I was thinking however that it cost us more to park the car than to drive it. Ha-ha, maybe not, but in England we couldn't park for free anywhere. They had it all tied up in the Lake District. We went to Lyme Park House near Stockport, and on the long drive in through the grounds there was a hut with a guy taking money. 5 Pounds per car he said. Car and 2 adults said I. OK he says still 5 Pounds. We drove on a bit further and got to the house where we discovered that the 5 Pounds was only for parking on the grass. It cost 12 Pounds each to get into the house. 24 + 5 = 29 Pounds entrance to Lyme Park House !! Whhew! Just as well I save up all year!

It was always going to be tough for the kids....classic mate...pure classic.

It was always going to be tough for the kids being stuck in the back of a car for 2 weeks, going to see places their Dad thought was cool when he was young. Just didn't work out like he wanted.:cool:

I was thinking however that it cost us more to park the car than to drive it. Ha-ha, maybe not, but in England we couldn't park for free anywhere. They had it all tied up in the Lake District. We went to Lyme Park House near Stockport, and on the long drive in through the grounds there was a hut with a guy taking money. 5 Pounds per car he said. Car and 2 adults said I. OK he says still 5 Pounds. We drove on a bit further and got to the house where we discovered that the 5 Pounds was only for parking on the grass. It cost 12 Pounds each to get into the house. 24 + 5 = 29 Pounds entrance to Lyme Park House !! Whhew! Just as well I save up all year!

You went to the UK without National trust membership?

Yeah its funny, Paul can't seem to make any reference to the UK without an air of withering disapproval, re the weather, the houses, the 'ghettos', the poor unfortunate people who have to live there because they didn't get the chance he did...

What's funny about it. Paul is stating his experience/feelings/observations.............. something that you so often advocate for. Or is it only certain individuals that you bestow this honour to.

I find Paul to be one of the fairest minded posters on PIO, be him posting about the UK or Oz.

Thanks Johndoe. I try to be fair and wouldn't slag the UK off for the sake of it. I enjoyed growing up there and had some great times while we lived there. Still have very good friends there and enjoyed catching up with them. I've posted a lot of positive things about the UK. Just didn't fit in with where we were in our life and had the chance to try something different.

I was 39 when we managed to get out here so have a lot of experiences, in different places of the UK, to go on. You can only call it as you've found it.:cool:

Thanks Johndoe. I try to be fair and wouldn't slag the UK off for the sake of it. I enjoyed growing up there and had some great times while we lived there. Still have very good friends there and enjoyed catching up with them. I've posted a lot of positive things about the UK. Just didn't fit in with where we were in our life and had the chance to try something different.

I was 39 when we managed to get out here so have a lot of experiences, in different places of the UK, to go on. You can only call it as you've found it.:cool:

Same with me mate. I wouldn't slag off the UK as I had many good times there and it made me who I am. The only slagging off I'll do is about Blackpool based on my experiences there

What's funny about it. Paul is stating his experience/feelings/observations.............. something that you so often advocate for. Or is it only certain individuals that you bestow this honour to.

I find Paul to be one of the fairest minded posters on PIO, be him posting about the UK or Oz.

don't get yer knickers in a twist darlin!

I hear you Paul, I'm just not sure I believe you as much as you believe you (with regards to the line I've highlighted). Your post had me smiling though as I envisioned long-faced, tousle-haired Australian teens huddled together for warmth as the cruel easterlies mercilessly whipped through their Billabong hoodies!. Did they mention human rights violations and threaten you with Amnesty International until you were able to placate them with hot Milo and some imported Twisties?. Not exactly evoking the famed ANZAC spirit were they eh? Ah, what horror is the UK seaside for Australians!

I hear you Paul, I'm just not sure I believe you as much as you believe you (with regards to the line I've highlighted). Your post had me smiling though as I envisioned long-faced, tousle-haired Australian teens huddled together for warmth as the cruel easterlies mercilessly whipped through their Billabong hoodies!. Did they mention human rights violations and threaten you with Amnesty International until you were able to placate them with hot Milo and some imported Twisties?. Not exactly evoking the famed ANZAC spirit were they eh? Ah, what horror is the UK seaside for Australians!

Browse back through my posts, I'm sure you'll find a couple. The kids I mentioned in the first post were my mates kids, not teens yet and I meant they would have struggled with 3 of them being sat in the back of a car sightseeing. Not the favourite pastime of any kid, no matter where they come from.

As for when we went on to Bournemouth pier the picture you paint would have been pretty close but I was huddled with them as the wife was trying to make out it wasn't that bad. We had to pose for photos at the side of the Bournemouth surf lifesaving huts too with my wife saying "try to look like you're enjoying yourself".:biggrin:

Bournemouth can be a great place when it's nice weather and the beach there rivals our local one here. When I met my wife there on holiday we had a week of gorgeous weather and a week of iffy weather. Typical English weather I would say. Like Harpo says though the weather isn't everything, we knew we would be in the pub at night with all the other young holidaymakers, doing what young holidaymakers do.

As soon as me and friends discovered Spain, Portugal, Greece though with guaranteed sun, cheaper booze, clubs and pubs open longer and girls who's inhibitions seemed to vanish as soon as they got on the plane, it was over for Bournemouth and the rest of the UK.:yes:

Guest guest17301
It's not the be all and end all to my mate and family either. He really wanted to show the kids how beautiful it can be and thought he would get some decent weather so they could see some nice parts. I know it's been the wettest July on record so I guess he was just really unlucky.

Dont bother Paul...some people would don their waterproofs and woolies and endure force ten gales with their british stiff upper lips frozen in the cold.....repeating their mantra in the vain hope that they might start to believe it....

Theirs a surprise.

Dont bother Paul...some people would don their waterproofs and woolies and endure force ten gales with their british stiff upper lips frozen in the cold.....repeating their mantra in the vain hope that they might start to believe it....

I do believe it though!. I quite enjoy a good Force Ten Gale. Blows away the cobwebs so to speak!

Who has? what surprise have they got? :wacko:

That you find someone who never says a bad word about oz but runs the uk down constantly a fair and honest poster.

I find the most honest poster on here concerning both countries is harpedon...dont you?

That you find someone who never says a bad word about oz but runs the uk down constantly a fair and honest poster.

I find the most honest poster on here concerning both countries is harpedon...dont you?

No....................and you don't come close.

Guest guest17301

Whos he? Harpodoms less dogmatic brother?

For the first 35 years of my life I had a ball in the UK, as long as I could afford the few weeks every year abroad, getting my fix of sun and sand. As soon as I got married, had a mortgage and child that changed. We couldn't afford a holiday, both of us working full time, small end terraced house which we had to spend heaps doing up to make it livable, no chance of saving much for the move up the property ladder. Just got to the point where we both started saying is this as good as it gets.

Now thankfully, we know it wasn't. I don't say a bad word about Oz as I genuinely love it here, but I don't constantly run down the UK either.

At least I don't just make stuff up and post pictures saying it's Australia Day riots when it has nothing to do with Australia Day.