Just back from annual holiday in UK

friedparsley

We have just returned from another holiday in the UK, and we like it there more and more each time. The weather was dreadful, it rained most of the time, but that did not matter, we were just so happy to be HOME.

There is a sense of being alive there, and all the people we meet are friendly, but thats possibly because we were happy and smiling. A miserable face begets misery in return.

Back here to the same old sh*t and the paranoid miserable AUSTRALIAN neighbours. !!

Guest Guest16631

................pleased to hear you had a great time...........I am hopeing for a holiday there in the next couple of years................and your right with your attitude influences those around you..............perhaps drop some holiday brochures of where you went in your neighbours letter box..........might cheer them up.........!

We have just returned from another holiday in the UK, and we like it there more and more each time. The weather was dreadful, it rained most of the time, but that did not matter, we were just so happy to be HOME.

There is a sense of being alive there, and all the people we meet are friendly, but thats possibly because we were happy and smiling. A miserable face begets misery in return.

Back here to the same old sh*t and the paranoid miserable AUSTRALIAN neighbours. !!

Do you think you'll be moving back for good?

We dont have any firm plans to go back. I like the best of both worlds, but its a long way to commute. Our main stop is in Scotland at Largs Ayrshire where we rent the same self catering flat each year. Its great going round to Morrisons for some shopping. There is a pub just along the road about 3 mins walk where they do meals, have quiz nights, live music and karaoke. I walk round to the paper shop each morning and get some papers. I can spend the whole morning reading. Our trip took us to Buxton Derbyshire and the Lake District. Buxton was cold and wet and the Lake district wet and wetter.

Re neighbours here. Started off a long time back when we moved here and they didnt like our accents. Had some cheaps shots by pretending not to understand what we were saying. They gossop about us too because we're not like them. Other Australians are OK though. I will never be an Australian for as long as my bum points down. By the way we have never tried to modify our accents to suit the locals! 29 years in Australia, and my policy is we live here because the climate suits us, but it will never be HOME.

Perhaps it's home but not in the spiritual sense that you are or will ever feel Aussie. Nothing wrong with that. That is the marking of a true expat. Living some place other than home. Doesn't mean there's not plenty to find ok about the place or hate it or anything so crass. It is what it is and home it isn't. I can identify with this.

Guest Guest16631

........does sound like the best of both worlds...............neighbours can make life awful............ours is similar............often telling us to go home............been here 20 years.....!........he is threatening and rude........!...............causes me to go deaf when ever he speaks...lol..............and Australia ........as is England full of different accents.......love to hear a different one..........have also kept most of mine...........although 2youngest have Australian accents...............I do think that where ever you have lived throughout your life will at sometime have that ..........pull on you...........you are indeed fortunate to be able to enjoy both...!.............Buxton is beautiful.....the lake district is on my to do list...........now a self catering flat.........a fantastic idea thankyou................a nice post.............good luck to you and yours .........tink x

tink:- A self catering flat or house gives you the feel of what its like to be actually living there. Its better than B&B as you get a whole house to live in rather than 1 bedroom. Its actually cheaper than B&B, but you have to add on groceries. However that gives a better feel as you go to the supermarket and shops and get 1st hand experience on what things cost. You dont have to cook every meal at "home", you can go out to eat. Self catering places vary in sze and cost. A cottage or house for 6 will cost more than a flat for 2. Just google "self catering UK" etc, for listings. Our time in the self catering made it easier to tolerate the rain outside, as we could sit in the lounger room and read etc, without having to leave as in the B&B, so they could make up the room. We lived in B&Bs at Buxton and Lake Windermere. Those B&Bs are getting expensive now, but even they are still cheaper than hotels. The only advantage to B&B is you can come and go any day and stay any time. Self catering usualy are for 1 week minimum and change over day Saturday, and you need to book in advance.

We had friends return on Friday and their story was just about the exact opposite of yours. He had the idea that they would show their 3 kids the best bits of England he remembered from his childhood while they are still young.

They had a week in The UK where they used to live when they first got there and he said that was OK as they caught up with a couple of mates. Then a few days in Paris which were OK but the weather was bad, a few days in Rome were it was what he called proper holiday weather and they enjoyed it.

Then back to the UK for their tour around Essex , where his wife's from and then the South Coast, Devon and Cornwall. He said it didn't stop raining the whole time they were touring round and the kids feigned interest for the first couple of places they went to but then got fed up as everywhere looked wet and bleak.

They couldn't wait to get home and back to a bit of beach (where we saw them yesterday) and sunshine. Cost them a packet too.

We had friends return on Friday and their story was just about the exact opposite of yours. He had the idea that they would show their 3 kids the best bits of England he remembered from his childhood while they are still young.

They had a week in The UK where they used to live when they first got there and he said that was OK as they caught up with a couple of mates. Then a few days in Paris which were OK but the weather was bad, a few days in Rome were it was what he called proper holiday weather and they enjoyed it.

Then back to the UK for their tour around Essex , where his wife's from and then the South Coast, Devon and Cornwall. He said it didn't stop raining the whole time they were touring round and the kids feigned interest for the first couple of places they went to but then got fed up as everywhere looked wet and bleak.

They couldn't wait to get home and back to a bit of beach (where we saw them yesterday) and sunshine. Cost them a packet too.

weather isn't the be all and end all for some though paul

I love going back to the UK for a holiday and it is nice and friendly there. However i'm also aware its a different story when you live there and the stresses of life and work are there.

If I ever start talking with an upturned end of a sentence you all have full permission to shoot me.

I'm an expat and I like it as that, wont ever try to be ozzy. I am who I am and I also intend on living in some other countries later on.

I am hoping though with a good attitude you can make friends and enjoy it in Oz while you are there. Simple as that.

Agreed. You'd never go back to the UK for it's weather let's face it. Although an Australian work-mate of mine recently Facebooked me from Dublin complaining about the rain....in Ireland!!. It doesn't have the legendary forty shades of green for nothing!

If the weather's nice then it's an added bonus, but in the forty years I lived in the UK the weather never bothered me. It is what it is, but any chance to get back to the UK for me would be about catching up with family and friends, familiar sights and sounds, a chance to rekindle (however briefly) an old life and most importantly feeling like an insider again. Feeling like I belong.

Agreed. You'd never go back to the UK for it's weather let's face it. Although an Australian work-mate of mine recently Facebooked me from Dublin complaining about the rain....in Ireland!!. It doesn't have the legendary forty shades of green for nothing!

If the weather's nice then it's an added bonus, but in the forty years I lived in the UK the weather never bothered me. It is what it is, but any chance to get back to the UK for me would be about catching up with family and friends, familiar sights and sounds, a chance to rekindle (however briefly) an old life and most importantly feeling like an insider again. Feeling like I belong.

I think that's what my friend was aiming for and thought that it would be great for the kids to see what he remembered. Another thing he noticed was the number of pubs that have closed. His second option after the sightseeing was a washout was going to some of the pubs he remembered only to find out a number of them had closed.

It was always going to be tough for their kids. Two of them were born here and the eldest was only about 2 when they came. When we were on holiday there my wife insisted on us going to Bournmouth, as that's where we met. We got out of the car to rain and a cold wind, wife insisted we have a walk around, much to the kids disgust. Then brilliant idea, a walk on the pier. Got to the pier and there is a turnstyle and charge for getting on, I turned round and was going to walk back to the car but I wasn't getting away that easy. Had to pay for us all to have a quick walk up the pier, almost getting blown away, with our borrowed thick coats on.

There were some hardy kids surfing with full wetsuits with bootees and hoods. My eldest surfs and just said why would you bother. Think we've brought them up too soft.

I used to love windsurfing in the UK and the nearest place we could do it was on a lake up in the pennines. It was so cold once it was snowing and we had to break the ice round the edge to get the boards in. My hands have never been so cold.

Had a feeling they would not like it...pity they didn't come this month...superb weather into the 30s

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Had a feeling they would not like it...pity they didn't come this month...superb weather into the 30s

We have had 6 hot sunny 23 degree plus days out of 53 days this summer, let's not forget how we have suffered, lol.

And everyone I know likes and wants nicer weather.

It's not the be all and end all to my mate and family either. He really wanted to show the kids how beautiful it can be and thought he would get some decent weather so they could see some nice parts. I know it's been the wettest July on record so I guess he was just really unlucky.

I'm retired now and dont have to work here or in the UK. We spent all our holidays either in Oz or S.E. Asia, but now have been returning to the land I said we would never return to when we first emigrated. How we change. Never say never again! I find everything so interesting back home. Nobody can tell we lived in Australia for 29 years, and nobody comments on our accents.(.Scottish), not even in England, but then I like English people as much as Scottish. Its easy to get into conversation with folk. I always come back to Aus with more contacts in my mobile address book than I have from Australia. Its not about the sun or lack of it, but I must admit that good British weather would make visits there more enjoyable. I could go on and on, but readers would get bored.....

I think that's what my friend was aiming for and thought that it would be great for the kids to see what he remembered. Another thing he noticed was the number of pubs that have closed. His second option after the sightseeing was a washout was going to some of the pubs he remembered only to find out a number of them had closed.

It was always going to be tough for their kids. Two of them were born here and the eldest was only about 2 when they came. When we were on holiday there my wife insisted on us going to Bournmouth, as that's where we met. We got out of the car to rain and a cold wind, wife insisted we have a walk around, much to the kids disgust. Then brilliant idea, a walk on the pier. Got to the pier and there is a turnstyle and charge for getting on, I turned round and was going to walk back to the car but I wasn't getting away that easy. Had to pay for us all to have a quick walk up the pier, almost getting blown away, with our borrowed thick coats on.

There were some hardy kids surfing with full wetsuits with bootees and hoods. My eldest surfs and just said why would you bother. Think we've brought them up too soft.

I used to love windsurfing in the UK and the nearest place we could do it was on a lake up in the pennines. It was so cold once it was snowing and we had to break the ice round the edge to get the boards in. My hands have never been so cold.

Blimey Paul, it's only a holiday in the UK, not a tour of Afghanistan y'know!. Surely they could suffer the indignity of not being able to wear board-shorts and flip-flops for a week or two?. Bracing weather like this is character-building, it imbues you with moral fibre!.

And to think that the Australians call us 'Whinging Poms' when the heat gets to us :no:

Guest Guest16631

.........have read this thread with interest..........and agree that to go back.........for me .......would be as endless winter has said...........a chance to rekindle (however briefly) an old life.....

........but from hearing from family who has recently visited........chose to travel a fair bit of the uk.........and some posts on here...........it's good to know its still there......the beauty...........The picturesque villages.............the pub culture with its Sunday lunch..........the fierce pride and Britishness for the area you lived..........the passion for football the local team............the royal family................the weather was part of it.........though recently has been unseasonal.........but.......I think I need to do as fried parsley has done...........go back for a holiday ...but.........live......as a local in a real home.....not as a tourist .........to see for myself............

Edited by Guest16631
Repeat removed..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We had a lovely day yesterday me the wife and kids had a sumptuous carvery meal at my sisters hotel, we visited my family the kids saw my 88 year old mum for the first time in a while, she has been really poorly and we sat out in the garden in the sun, it was great.

Blimey Paul, it's only a holiday in the UK, not a tour of Afghanistan y'know!. Surely they could suffer the indignity of not being able to wear board-shorts and flip-flops for a week or two?. Bracing weather like this is character-building, it imbues you with moral fibre!.

And to think that the Australians call us 'Whinging Poms' when the heat gets to us :no:

Yeah its funny, Paul can't seem to make any reference to the UK without an air of withering disapproval, re the weather, the houses, the 'ghettos', the poor unfortunate people who have to live there because they didn't get the chance he did...

It was always going to be tough for the kids....classic mate...pure classic.