any perth/WA based social workers out there? please help

Guest polarbearmac

Guest polarbearmac

Hi there

i've never done this before so if i ramble too long or give too much info - sorry! :wideeyed:

my partner and i are both social workers and have been offered state sponsorship for WA. having looked through lots of posts on this site i am beginning to panic about trying to find work in the perth area. my partner has DipSW and i have an MSc in SW.

are the local councils the best folks to work for or are there other organisations that offer better opportunities? were there any problems with qualifications as long as balanced with experience? (both of us will be 3 years post qualifying when we move out with 4-5 years pre-qualifying experience)

it seems to be really hard to get any useful information from any formal websites and we are really struggling to find jobs on any websites that we would be interested in. my preference is child protection and his is community care.

Any hints or tips that you could give us would be fab cos we really have no idea where to start!!

Cheers

Freyja

Hi,

don't know much about the availability of social worker posts and whose best to work for, but like UK there will be a number of organisations such as hospitals, child organisations. If you're being sponsered do you not already have a job to come to?

Ali

Guest polarbearmac

Hi ali

thanks for your reply.

state sponsorship seems to only provide you with a faster route to a visa and an obligation to live in the state for 2 years so unfortunately all other angles need to be figured out by ourselves!

do you stay in perth? what kind of social work do you do?

Freyja

Guest polarbearmac

Hi ali

that would be really helpful. :jiggy:

thank you for doing that. fingers crossed that they are willing! getting some pointers about how the WA social work system operates would make all the difference.

enjoy your leave

Fx

Hi there,

I'm a Dip SW qualified social worker headed for South Australia, if we ever sell our house! Check out Social Work Recruitment Agency - Ozone Recruitment , they have offices here, and partner companies in Oz. If you email them, they should forward your message on to the appropriate Oz office. Also go to SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site and go to 'Healthcare and Medical Jobs' under that is a sub heading for social work.

Good luck and if I can help with anything feel free to pm me,

Bec x

:wubclub:

Guest polarbearmac

Thanks for your help bec, i'll have a shifty over the next few days.

good luck with the house sale! it really would be good if everything was nice and simple for a change! lol

Fx

• 4 years later...
Guest kellyn2311

Hi

I am looking to move to Perth soon and just after some advice. I have a BA (hons) degree in social work and currently work as a hospital based social worker for older adults, although I have some experience with children and families (placement).

Is the much work available in Perth and do you know about employees who might sponsor me?

Thanks

Kelly

Archived