Form 80, travel abroad in the last 10 years

Gaynor

:arghh:My OH and I need to complete form 80's now for processing of our 176 visa application.

DIAC want a list, in chronological order of all the countries we have visited in the last 10 years. That's going to be hard enough for me, but my OH is a touring sound engineer and travels all the time and has for years. He doesn't keep lists of his past travel. Arrgghh!

They also want to know every job and period of unemployment since leaving secondary school 25years ago! OMG, will the paperwork ever end................

Guest melanie79

hi gaynor, are you sure its not the countries you have lived in for the last 10 years, not places you have visited? mel

We've just gone through the same thing. For my husband, not an issue (apart from trawling through paperwork and listing everything down) for the trips from the past 4 years, as he's not on an EU passport so gets stamped in and out everywhere, however his country take in old passports when they give a renewal, so we listed what we knew and remembered for everything before his current passport, with months of travel and approximate length of time rather than dates, and added a note to say the same.

For me, another story, and I too travel a lot of work. What I did was list everything I had been stamped for outside of Europe, and again, gave a statement regarding my travel for work, and the fact that the EU zone is effectively borderless, and I don't have all the details. I did give some details such as Feb 2012 - June 2012, travelled weekly to Sweden as an example.

Whether this is acceptable or not... I don't know yet unfortunately, we have not had anything further since loading Form 80 2 weeks ago! And not saying it's the way to go, it's just how I tackled the same problem as you are having.

Also, the employment is painful, especially if somewhere you worked no longer exists! Just put as much as you can with as much detail.

Someone can correct me if I understand this wrong, but Form 80 doesn't necessarily mean further more detailed checks. It means that it is likely the CO will review, see if anything stands out as looking a bit odd, and then either a)do some random checks themselves (such as contacting some of your recent employers), or b)send on to ASIO for thorough background checks (and a big black hole).

So I went with filling out as much as possible, and those are the only 2 pieces which had any kind of vagueness, but I then tried to back up with as much explanation as possible.

So now just waiting in anticipation. Would love to hear from others who faced a similar situation, what they did and what their experience was!

Edited by wonder

Guest melanie79

hi wonder- you seem to be further along with your 175 than me, looking at your timeline, i see you have a co already! did you decide to frontload your medicals or did you wait for the co? im doing it without an agent too, and starting to confuse myself now!!! mel

We've just gone through the same thing. For my husband, not an issue (apart from trawling through paperwork and listing everything down) for the trips from the past 4 years, as he's not on an EU passport so gets stamped in and out everywhere, however his country take in old passports when they give a renewal, so we listed what we knew and remembered for everything before his current passport, with months of travel and approximate length of time rather than dates, and added a note to say the same.

For me, another story, and I too travel a lot of work. What I did was list everything I had been stamped for outside of Europe, and again, gave a statement regarding my travel for work, and the fact that the EU zone is effectively borderless, and I don't have all the details. I did give some details such as Feb 2012 - June 2012, travelled weekly to Sweden as an example.

Whether this is acceptable or not... I don't know yet unfortunately, we have not had anything further since loading Form 80 2 weeks ago! And not saying it's the way to go, it's just how I tackled the same problem as you are having.

Also, the employment is painful, especially if somewhere you worked no longer exists! Just put as much as you can with as much detail.

Someone can correct me if I understand this wrong, but Form 80 doesn't necessarily mean further more detailed checks. It means that it is likely the CO will review, see if anything stands out as looking a bit odd, and then either a)do some random checks themselves (such as contacting some of your recent employers), or b)send on to ASIO for thorough background checks (and a big black hole).

So I went with filling out as much as possible, and those are the only 2 pieces which had any kind of vagueness, but I then tried to back up with as much explanation as possible.

So now just waiting in anticipation. Would love to hear from others who faced a similar situation, what they did and what their experience was!

Guest melanie79

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im only at the starting point- my head is going to be frazzled!!! good luck with it! mel

Hi Melanie79,

It is both. Countries we've lived in is easy; none. Traveled to, well, about 20 a year for my OH with no records kept.

Guest melanie79

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im only at the starting point- my head is going to be frazzled!!! that sounds like its gona be a head wreck for you guys tho-good luck with it! mel

Hi Melanie79,

It is both. Countries we've lived in is easy; none. Traveled to, well, about 20 a year for my OH with no records kept.

Do best efforts. Look through your old passports to get all the ones that would be stamped, then for European trips make a best guess. I used to travel around Europe a lot, couldn't possibly list every trip so I just put down a few places that I know I have been to and guessed at dates.

When we had to fill in our form 80's our MA told us just to list full time employment since leaving school - so I didn't include all the part-time jobs I had at Uni and bits and pieces of work here and there. Luckily for me it was only around 6 years worth that I had to complete - not 25!

Also she said on the countries bit not too get too hung up on remembering every last country you've ever visited, just do what you can remember, as long as you are honest and not trying to hide that you've spent 3 months in Iran or something then you should be ok.

hi guys! on q14 it asks if you currently have or ever had any national identity documents or numbers. is that the national insurance number you get when you are 16? im confused?!!! if it is i cant remember mine & dont have it on any payslips as moved to ireland after uni to start work. i have a pps number here in ireland- would that be it?

I ticked 'No' for that one.

Guest melanie79

thanks nicolac34! i actually found the answer on another thread aswell, so thats why i deleted it, but thanks again!