You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hello, my partner is coming out to QLD sept on a WHV, hes staying with a family friend whos lives in the runaway bay region!

hes currently a plasterer here in the UK, with 9 years experience! we no that plastering isnt done the same out in Oz but where do we start? would he have to become a labourer to learn the new skills?? whats the average wage??

were also lookin into the mining industry but with no experiance how difficult can this be? iv read lots of positives and negatives online but could do with some helpfull advice!! our main aim is to obtain sponsorship so that myself and our kiddies we have together can join him out in Oz.

are we asking to much?? and how hard can this really be? .. T.I.A

X

Desperate for the Brissy lifestyle :biggrin: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Just giving your post a bump in the hope someone will see it and be able to answer your questions.

If you could find a sponsor in plastering job could go 457 route. Brisbane is your best bet. do lots of research ! plenty of info on this website.

If he got a job in the mines id make him go out and by a lottery ticket the same day !!

good luck.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Arriving in Oz Sept 2012 !!!! :cool:

Im finding all sorts or posts about plastering in oz! Some saying its booming and other saying theres non! Ovsl we will no this once hes out there sept. Iv done my reasearch and emaild loads of builders/contractors with no responce! Finding it really frustraiting.lol.

Also about the mining side we read that its hard but achiveable but u put ur mind to it! How easy can it be to gain sponsor with either? And were not currently married so would this make the paperwork more harder gaining evidance that we are actually a couple? X

Desperate for the Brissy lifestyle :biggrin: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

The chances of gaining a sponsor in mining without mine experience and mine skills are pretty close to zero. You have to understand that he would only be able to apply for trainee roles in mining and why would a company offer sponsorship when there is no shortage of locals applying for trainee roles. As for plastering, I can't speak for QLD, but in WA most are self employed / contractors so sponsorship wouldn't be an option. Are you eligible to apply for pr via skilled route?

we have been advised to go down the WHV rouite, altho my partner has 9 years experiance in plastering hes not NVQ quilified so points wise i dont think we would be eligable!.

Guest guest71715

my husband is also a plasterer he is having to do an AQF to prove his profession before we can apply. Plastering is on the SOL list this year so you should be able to apply for an independant visa . It sounds like a very complicated proceedure to apply so we are going to use a migration agent because my hubby is 43 we dont have much time left.

we have been advised to go down the WHV rouite, altho my partner has 9 years experiance in plastering hes not NVQ quilified so points wise i dont think we would be eligable!.

I think whoever has advised you that WHV will be a route to pr for you is an idiot

Advised by whom? This is very much last resort territory. An option to consider if you have exhausted all others but are still desperate to go to Australia and think it is worth temporarily splitting the family.

Mines are crying out for skilled workers, not unskilled ones, there are plenty of those here already. Your OH is not going to get sponsorship in an area he has no experience in. And I am no expert but mines surely do not require plastering do they? I would put mines out of your mind to be honest.

On the other hand, plasterer is on schedule one of the SOL so skilled migration is an option. Have you actually looked into skilled migration with an agent and had it ruled out? Because sometimes experience can substitute for qualifications and if not, then perhaps the plan would be for OH to work towards getting some qualifications now?

My friend is a carpenter and been here 16mths, Applied for numerous jobs with no Avail , the only jobs that are about are through Agency (work) .He only gets a few weeks here and there and gets very frustrated when he gets no replies .He can apply for 50 jobs a day , he is extreamily qualified in his field and he has since traveled to McKay looking for work .He was lucky and picked up 8 weeks work laboring leaving his partner back here on the coast .Its tough here at the moment for trades people , just last week our lads friend who's father is a bricklayer they have been here just about 6 months finally threw in the towel and are heading back to the Uk next week.Its heart wrenching watch people struggle to build a new life , my advise to anyone wanting to come out now DO YOUR HOMEWORK , SECURE a JOB first because its been hard for us and thats what we did 4 years ago .Rents are not cheap , food is not cheap and its hard on one wage never mind without one.Good luck

LIFE IS FULL OF CHANGE ................. Well that just makes me appreciate my life a whole lot more.......... & moving to oz & giving my children a better start in life! ♥♥♥♥ living on the Gold Coast now and very happy

Guest SeekMiningJob

I have a degree in mining and I've made up my mind in trying out what I can find in Australia. Can anyone think of how I might get into mining industry? I have 3 years working experience as well.

hi just a bit of a heads up , plastering is divided into 2 trades here drywall/ tape and joiners and solid ,gold coast is quiet at moment there is some work up in Brisbane be prepared to get 28 to 30 an hour , rendering is done with mainly bagged premixed render not many people do sand and cement ,I currently have a buisness so get him to pm me in arrival is I havnt got work ill have numbers he can keep keep safe

I'm a plasterer who's just gained a 175 visa, I didn't have any formal qualifications, I had to do an AQF 3 (£2200) then get my skills approved (tra) it was a pain in the arse but worth it in the end. You need to have evidence like tax bills, work related receipts, letters from references and customers, photos of work, even photos of my kit. In total it took 2 years and now about 6k, but now we have the visa so money well spent. Try John at immigration2oz he sorted me out.

hiya. ill inbox u now! hes due to land in brisbane 23 sept he will be getting transport and will need to obtain a white card! what are oir chances of getting sponsorship with a plastering company?! x

Hi adamcraig I am a cnc machinist/fitter worked in the aerospace and car manufacturing industry would you have any idea how to get a sponsorship on the mines cheers mate

I have a degree in mining and I've made up my mind in trying out what I can find in Australia. Can anyone think of how I might get into mining industry? I have 3 years working experience as well.

What exactly is your degree in? Mine engineering? geology?