Moving Back - Lots of Questions...Help!

MissEmma

Hi everyone,

My mum and I are moving back to the UK permanently after spending the best part of 10 years in Melbourne, becoming citizens in 2006. We are originally from London, but looking to move to the area in/around Wiltshire. My mum is quite easy going and has only really hankered for home in the last few years, but I have never settled in Australia (despite being only 15 when we emigrated), and this move can’t come quick enough!

Moving back is obviously going to be a complicated process with lots to organise, and I would therefore like to pick the brains of the forum a bit:

1. Since moving to Australia, we have accumulated 3 cats and 3 dogs who are all coming home with us. Can anyone offer any advice re pet shipping companies/costs and the general process involved? I understand that the UK recently relaxed its quarantine laws for animals entering the country from Australia, but I assume they would need a veterinary certificate stating good health, proof of worming and current vaccinations, etc.?

2. When we moved to Australia we brought very little with us. However, my mum would like to take most of her furniture back, as it proves so expensive to replace. Can anyone recommend any shipping companies who offered good service? I also think we would probably need a 40ft container, does anyone have a rough idea of price? Furthermore, in 2003 we brought over an old wooden rocking horse which had to be fumigated by Australian Customs – does the UK fumigate wooden items entering the country?

3. My mum would also like to take back her car; it is only a few years old and would cost much more to replace in the UK. Is this possible? What does the process of taking a car back involve? Can it go in the same container as the furniture, or must it be done separately? Are there certain restrictions, European regulations, etc. we need to be aware of? Does it need to be converted to miles from kilometres?

4. I would also like some advice on submitting a tax return next year. Can it be done from overseas?

5. How do you go about claiming Australian super from the UK?

6. And lastly, my mum is a nurse/midwife (she has recently renewed her registration with the Nursing Midwifery Council) and I am due to qualify as a secondary school teacher (teaching English, General Science and Home Economics) in November. What are the current job prospects like for these professions in the UK?

Thanks for reading, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Emma

Hi

I'm moving back in 2 weeks time,40ft container is costing me $15000. I used Chess who gave me the best quote. I was told for 2 guinea pigs it would cost $3000,so not sure about dogs? Cars in the UK are 3 times cheaper,so I would advise to sell your car in Oz you will get a lot more for your money in UK unless it's very sentimental car.

Good Luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I would advise your mum sells her car, second hand cars are really cheap here in the UK, we have just bought a 4 month old Peugeot that was over £17k new and got it for less than £10k it only had 2,000 miles on the clock, I don't know how many thousands of dollars your mum would get for her car, but the exchange rate will surely mean you will be better off selling it. Best of luck.

Wow, lot of questions.

3 cats and 3 dogs is going to cost a fair whack. I'm not sure of costs from Aus to UK and the price will vary based on the size of your dogs as its size not weight. Be aware if you are renting initially many landlords will not entertain that many pets on one property. Many are firm on no pets or one dog or cat etc.

Start off by having a read of this and click the links off of it to read more. As your pets won't have pet passports I am not sure if they will have to spend time in quarantine or not.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/countries/noneu-countries/

Are you really sure you'll need 40ft? A 20ft container usually fits the contents of a 3 bed house. However, if you are shipping a car in the container you would probably need more space.

Depending on the make of car and all that, it might not be worth shipping it. Cars are generally cheaper in the UK than Aus. Returning from Aus to the UK I'd buy in the UK as its all in your favour. Also if its not a well known make over here consider parts, repairs and so on and then the resale.

Some of your questions I have no clue about. I'd think your best bet with regard to tax returns and super etc is to look on the official Aus websites for them or to contact those departments direct in Aus and discuss your questions with them.

Fumigation of your rocking horse - again check the official UK import website for info. I am sure you could find the answer there in a few minutes. I found the pet shipping info in a matter of seconds :)

Just check the size of your furniture! When we came back had to put a lot of our big stuff in storage, couches, bed, dining table etc cos it was just too big for this house. Glad we are going back now!

4. I would also like some advice on submitting a tax return next year. Can it be done from overseas?

Emma

Regarding Tax returns, if yours is a simple tax return, you can download the eTax software from ATO and complete the return online and yes it can be submitted from overseas. In our case, we are using an Australian Tax advisor with whom we continue to file annual Oz returns.

We used Chess removals, very professional and helpful service. They will give you a full break-down of costs, no obligation. If you are in Sydney area, PM me and i will send you a great contact. We have just returned to the UK

Yes, sell the car and buy again in UK. Before you can drive it there you'll need to wait to get it out the container and register and insure it etc. Probably you will need to borrow or hire a car right away anyway. Something thats just occured to me, dont UK cars get treated underneath with a sealant to keep the rust away from the salt on the roads in winter? Dont think they do that in Aus. Australian cars have only kilometres per hour on the speedo. although UK cars have both MPH & KPH. You need to get it changed to MPH, and then there is the MOT...

Definitely sell the car, as others advised. Cars are ridiculously expensive here and you'll get one cheaply at home. We moved here last year and will return in 2013, there will be no quarantine needed for your pets if they've had the necessary worming and rabies treatment within the time scales, check the defra website.

As someone else has said, sofas and electricals are cheap at home and not worth shipping back.

We rent our house out back in Weymouth, Dorset and allowed the tenants to have 4 pets once we had met them! It all depends on the landlord. Good Luck

Guest clarejane

hey there....just a quickie as im in a rush but with the car question..i would seriously leave behind, cars are far more cheaper than in uk and dought it would be benificial to you. my father brought his over from the uk this time round and all the fussing around was horrendus! may be easier going other way i guess. anyway just a thought!

We brought our car out with us when we came to Australia, and there was no end of hassle. Bottom line was that they just didnt want us to do it. However I think in uk they would not be as vindictive, but still...DONT DO It.

We were on holiday this "summer" again like each year and I can tell you that the cars we hire quickly become "öurs", and I could just keep them on without thinking back to the one in Australia.