Tra unsuccessful. Help needed

cherylj45

Hi all, I'm in need of help!!

Just got my letter back today stating the reasons why,I have been working as a hairdresser for just three years. Qualified level 2 15 yrs ago and then qualified level three in oct 2010,this is not long enough apparently??they also say I haven't given enough evidence of my self employment from the last 2 1/2 yrs. Also my statutory declaration isn't correct.

Am I correct in reading that I have to pay again to get it reviewed??

Any advice would be greatly received :arghh:

Sorry to hear that Cheryl:hug:. They are a law unto themselves.

I would recommend speaking to an agent, but tbh that is not an easy task in itself. When you speak to the agents they are just as frustrated as us and find the process of dealing with them to be torture. Hopefully, you can speak to someone who can really help you.

If you want your assessment reviewed, I am pretty sure you need to pay again.

Have they stated what was wrong with your Stat Dec? Had you made claims in it, but did not include the paperwork to substantiate them? We have been told that the assessment paperwork needs to read like a book from day one of training and to include everythng and to detail everything. It is very different with TRA as there is no practical assessment. They assess you on the paperwork that you provide to them. The people at TRA are no longer tradies either so do not have first hand experience of what the trades do or cannot do, this is why your paperwork has to be spot on.

Hopefully, someone on here who has passed TRA can offer some good advice as well about how to put the "evidence" together.

Good Luck Lorraine xx

Sorry to hear that Cheryl:hug:. They are a law unto themselves.

I would recommend speaking to an agent, but tbh that is not an easy task in itself. When you speak to the agents they are just as frustrated as us and find the process of dealing with them to be torture. Hopefully, you can speak to someone who can really help you.

If you want your assessment reviewed, I am pretty sure you need to pay again.

Have they stated what was wrong with your Stat Dec? Had you made claims in it, but did not include the paperwork to substantiate them? We have been told that the assessment paperwork needs to read like a book from day one of training and to include everythng and to detail everything. It is very different with TRA as there is no practical assessment. They assess you on the paperwork that you provide to them. The people at TRA are no longer tradies either so do not have first hand experience of what the trades do or cannot do, this is why your paperwork has to be spot on.

Hopefully, someone on here who has passed TRA can offer some good advice as well about how to put the "evidence" together.

Good Luck Lorraine xx

Thanks for your advice,I really appreciate it. It's so hard sometime to know what to do. The top and bottom of it is that my quals are recognised but I don't have 3 yrs post quals! It's so difficult. I was unsure on how to do the stat dec...so I just wrote out my whole job and what I do on a daily basis. This level 3 and time is so annoying x it would be great if there's another hairdresser out there that's done it and can advise me x

I cannot help on the Stat Dec as we are still doing ours and I wouldn't want to give you false information so finger's crossed someone else can help on that score.

You will need a min of 3 years exp. As they have awarded you 2.5 years, my advice would be to wait 6 months and apply to be assessed again (you would be paying another €300 to have it reviewed anyway). It's an absolute pain, but not the end of the world. During the six months, make sure every bit of paperwork that you have is bang on. You could also post something on the TRA thread that was running for months as it is more specific to TRA. I will see if I can find the link and post it in a min.

We had my OH's TRA rejected in April and the rejection letter specified a few areas where they felt he failed to reach the required level. One of their issues was that he had not clearly shown the required period of work over the last 2 years was in the correct trade he applied for... which was clearly incorrect. We also had to submit proof in income for the last 3 years, invoices, bank statements, timesheets. We then redrafted his letters of reference from his last 2 employees he worked with in the last 2 years detailing in great depth his day to day tasks... very tedious and we wrote it as it it was being read by someone who had no idea what a person in my husbands trade actually did.

Our agent was brilliant and each specific reason for the TRA rejection was redrafted and ticked off and we resubmitted on 16 June.... got successful outcome on 25 June!

Go through you letter from the TA with a fine tooth comb. Resolve every issue they raise in great detail.

If they say you are 6 month short of the 2 year experience post qualifying there is no way around this you will have to wait 6 months and reapply and paid the fee of $300 again.

In the meantime get all your other documents in place..

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice,I really appreciate it. It's so hard sometime to know what to do. The top and bottom of it is that my quals are recognised but I don't have 3 yrs post quals! It's so difficult. I was unsure on how to do the stat dec...so I just wrote out my whole job and what I do on a daily basis. This level 3 and time is so annoying x it would be great if there's another hairdresser out there that's done it and can advise me x

A statutory declaration has a specific legal form / wording and needs to be sworn in fron of a notary public. It isn't just a write up, let me know if you need a copy of the legal wordings.

Edited by Rupert

A statutory declaration has a specific legal form / wording and needs to be sworn in fron of a notary public. It isn't just a write up, let me know if you need a copy of the legal wordings.

If you can that would be fantastic...I feel I need any help available. I'm trying to save cash by doing it alone. Who news to sign it then??

Thankyou x

If you can that would be fantastic...I feel I need any help available. I'm trying to save cash by doing it alone. Who news to sign it then??

Thankyou x

You need to write your statutory declaration and then take a copy to the public notary (yellowpages), you ewill then sign it in front of him / her and they countersign it.

This is the format of a UK statutory declaration:

I, Rupert of 1 The Street, Anytown, ANY 123, UK, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:

1) That I was employed as an astronaut at Nasa from 01 January 2002 until 31 December 2007;

2) That I was employed on a full time basis for apprx 40 hours a week

3) Tht my main responsibilities included:

- maintaining rockets

- travelling to the international space station

- taking photos of the moon.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

Declared at:

In the county of:

on this ...day of ... 2012

Before me

SOLICITOR / COMMISSIONER FOR OATHS

Obviously you tailor your points to what you want to declare but keep them short and punchy. Also leave the date / place etc blank as I have, the notary will fill it in.

Edited by Rupert

Rupert, that is very helpful, thanks. Sorry I had to laugh at your choice of occupation. People that know that we are hoping to get a Golden Ticket and know what difficulties we have had always ask us if my OH is an Astronaut or a Rocket Scientist:biggrin:

Don't want to put a negative point on all this but I sent 2 statutory declarations, as worded above, sworn in a court of law and to be put it bluntly TRA still didn't believe my evidence. The organisation really is a law upon itself !!!

Yes, we also submitted Sworn Statements the first time around to prove my OH's work experience and the TRA rejected our application and insisted on references from managers to show he actually had the experience in the relevant trade. We had to provide contact numbers, emails and addressed for each reference and we from what we hear one of the references was actually contacted by the TRA so do not rely on sworn statements alone please!