You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

owensfamily

Begging to DIAC

Has anyone ever tried 'begging' to DIAC for further information on their application, it clearly says on the contact department email form that general enquiries will be ignored but surely someone in DIAC is actually human, surely they can see spending $3000 and having no response and no definitive timescale that you will ever get a response is plainly unfair. How hard is it for them to tell us where they are up too for each visa class in plain and simple English, if you want to continue to wait having some information gives you at least something to make an informed decision on.

I rang DIAC the other day to ask them about providing a change of information on our 175 visa, but whilst doing so asked them where they were up to with processing, she quoted the online figures-up to january 2012, which I know is untrue as people on here who applied in april have been getting COs, when I said this she wasn't for having it and just quoted the online figures again.

APHRA 05/01/12,'in principle'16/02/12, IELTS 18/02/12 R 8, W 9, S 9, L 9,Overall 9.0,ANMC 29/02/12,CO 18/03/12,approved 21/05/12,175 applied 21/5/12, meds 9/6/12, (457 visa approved 30/6/12), pcc submitted 19/7/12, meds finalised 20/7/12,CO 13/8/12

Hi all,

Yeah - I noticed a post from someone the other day mentioning that they had been assigned a case officer under 175 class having only lodged in May! Pretty surprised...dare I say encouraged by this...particularly as the DIAC website says they are processing up to Jan '12. Perhaps they are "managing expectations", or maybe it really is just pot luck how quickly you end up on someone's desk? Does anyone know if there are any criteria WITHIN the 175 category that dictate that certain skills are more preferrable and therefore fast-tracked through the process?

Fingers crossed for speedy assignment all!

I rang DIAC the other day to ask them about providing a change of information on our 175 visa, but whilst doing so asked them where they were up to with processing, she quoted the online figures-up to january 2012, which I know is untrue as people on here who applied in april have been getting COs, when I said this she wasn't for having it and just quoted the online figures again.

As far as I am aware those figures means there is nobody left who applied BEFORE that date still without a co. It doesn't mean they haven't got to any newer ones. Who knows what criteria they go on to decide who gets a co earlier than others is though.

Has two beautiful Aussie little girls :-)

As far as I am aware those figures means there is nobody left who applied BEFORE that date still without a co. It doesn't mean they haven't got to any newer ones. Who knows what criteria they go on to decide who gets a co earlier than others is though.

Ok, I'm a little confused, admittedly I havent followed all the changes over the four years my application has been in the system but I applied under 175 online in August 2008, my job wasn't on the modl at the time which was the only priority processing in place but I haven't heard anything and I certainly don't have a CO yet you say DIAC say all 175 applications submitted prior to January 2012 have a CO

As per above, where are you on the sol?

APHRA 05/01/12,'in principle'16/02/12, IELTS 18/02/12 R 8, W 9, S 9, L 9,Overall 9.0,ANMC 29/02/12,CO 18/03/12,approved 21/05/12,175 applied 21/5/12, meds 9/6/12, (457 visa approved 30/6/12), pcc submitted 19/7/12, meds finalised 20/7/12,CO 13/8/12

Sorry should have realised you were referring to priority 4 applications

I'm not on the SOL, I am on the CSOL and the SMP for NSW but I dont want to pay $400 for another skills assessment at ACS and £150 for another IELTS, plus $300 for SS when they could quite easily change the rules again and then what? I just want an update to where my current application is rather than "allocation not commenced", they must have a date for 175 priority 5 applications but it has to prior to August 2008 but it can't be that far from there as they continued to process 175 visas for a while after I submitted mine.

Since I'm not on the SOL even if they do start allocation again, does that mean I won't get processed until my application is put on the SOL? I was always under the impression that if your application was on the SOL at time of application then it was valid to be processed? If it isn't I'll be standing outside the Australian embassy until they give me a refund ;)

I'm not on the SOL, I am on the CSOL and the SMP for NSW but I dont want to pay $400 for another skills assessment at ACS and £150 for another IELTS, plus $300 for SS when they could quite easily change the rules again and then what? I just want an update to where my current application is rather than "allocation not commenced", they must have a date for 175 priority 5 applications but it has to prior to August 2008 but it can't be that far from there as they continued to process 175 visas for a while after I submitted mine.

Since I'm not on the SOL even if they do start allocation again, does that mean I won't get processed until my application is put on the SOL? I was always under the impression that if your application was on the SOL at time of application then it was valid to be processed? If it isn't I'll be standing outside the Australian embassy until they give me a refund ;)

There is information relevant to your situation on the DIAC website

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/gsm-priority5-processing.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

You can see from this that no Priority Group 5 175 applications are being allocated (or have been for a long time) and none will be until all Priority 4 175 applications are allocated, when this starts you will see the dates on the allocation page Your application would be allocated when older Priority Group 5 applications have been (175 visas started on 1 September 2007), you will not have to be on the SOL then.

There is information relevant to your situation on the DIAC website

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/gsm-priority5-processing.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

You can see from this that no Priority Group 5 175 applications are being allocated (or have been for a long time) and none will be until all Priority 4 175 applications are allocated, when this starts you will see the dates on the allocation page Your application would be allocated when older Priority Group 5 applications have been (175 visas started on 1 September 2007), you will not have to be on the SOL then.

Thanks Watcher, at least its good news that I wont have to be on the current SOL when\if they do ever get around to processing 175 priority 5 applications but I cant find anywhere at what point in terms of application date are they up to with this type of application, they must know, it might be that they have processed all upto July, 2008 which would mean I should be relatively close to the start when\if they do start allocation again however if they have only processed upto October, 2007 then I'm a million miles away - this is information is critical to what I do next.

Edited by owensfamily

What's you occupation owensfamily? Could you not try to get sponsorship and apply for a 457 and see where things take you?

Hi Rachaelm0, I'm a System Administrator, guess I could look at 457 but next September my wife qualifies as a nurse so have that option too, would rather get the visa from my application though as we have spent the money on it rather than having to pay another VAC

Hi Rachaelm0, I'm a System Administrator, guess I could look at 457 but next September my wife qualifies as a nurse so have that option too, would rather get the visa from my application though as we have spent the money on it rather than having to pay another VAC

Hi. May be more difficult going as your wife as primary visa holder as they ask for a couple of years experience, which she would gain in oz if you went on a 457 with your job, would then qualify for a 175 group 4 as nursing on SOL list? Worth thinking about, probably be quicker than getting a priority group 5 visa processed?

I've emailed NSW and I'll wait and see what they say about SS and my situation, if they want a new ACS and IELTS there is obviously the cost of getting them done, the risk of still not getting SS and the fact DIAC might change the rules again and we are back to square one but $1000 lighter. It such a lottery!

Has anyone ever tried 'begging' to DIAC for further information on their application, it clearly says on the contact department email form that general enquiries will be ignored but surely someone in DIAC is actually human, surely they can see spending $3000 and having no response and no definitive timescale that you will ever get a response is plainly unfair. How hard is it for them to tell us where they are up too for each visa class in plain and simple English, if you want to continue to wait having some information gives you at least something to make an informed decision on.

I guess the problem is that they deal with hundreds of thousands of applications from all over the world and if they answered every general enquiry then they wouldn't have time to process the applications. I understand that the process is so very frustrating, I remember thinking i'd been forgotten when people were being granted visas and mine hadn't arrived. Patience is the name of the game in the visa process i'm afraid

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I guess the problem is that they deal with hundreds of thousands of applications from all over the world and if they answered every general enquiry then they wouldn't have time to process the applications. I understand that the process is so very frustrating, I remember thinking i'd been forgotten when people were being granted visas and mine hadn't arrived. Patience is the name of the game in the visa process i'm afraid

Hi Ali, I'm sure they do get thousands of emails from all over the world, all I want like I'm sure a lot of others do in the thousands of priority 5 applicants is an update other than "Allocations not commenced", something a bit more concrete than "can expect a substantial wait". DIAC will have a huge amount of data on the number\ type of applicants they receive on a monthly\ weekly\ daily basis and from this data they could quite easily predict trends that would be able to forecast processing times for each visa class, its even easier for them now as visa applicants can only be invited to apply hence to a great degree they can determine the amount of applications they get per month\ EOI cycle.

Thinking about it maybe that's one of the reasons they have introduced SkillSelect so they can slow down new applications in order to work through the backlog.....clutching at straws maybe?

I appreciate patience is important however, 4 years is excessive amount of time considering at application, projected turn around for a 175 visa was 12 - 18 months.

Cheers

Rob

I do understand your frustration having been through the application process and I know that things used to slow down May/June as they reached their allocated visa's and then loads would be granted in July (ours was one of them). Perhaps the new rules are a way of further capping the number of applicants/visa grants

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

DIAC's motto: People our business...

Unfortunately DIAC don't like to be constantly asked about the progress of your visa status, and from what i have heard it might further delay the process cause then DIAC will think there is something suspicious...

So, I have decided not to check the online status of my visa which haven't changed for almost 6 months and sit quite till it is the 12th month, so i have a reason to mail them and remind them of the 12 months that are mentioned in their website.:tongue: