School catchment areas

Guest Jacqueline01

Guest Jacqueline01

Hi, we are moving to Sydney in March 2008. I have 2 daughters (aged 4 and 5) my eldest will be starting school this year and I wanted to know about how catchment areas work in Aus. If we rent in an area are we guaranteed a spot in the local public school? Can we get in by renting in the area and then moving to a nearby area later, after our child is in the 'desired' school? Are there waiting lists in public schools for children living in the area? We are looking at settling in the Manly area. Any advise would be great!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This is a question that I have been researching recently myself, first stop is the website NSW Public Schools Home Page this should give you loads of info.

As for the catchment areas, it appears that the catchment areas are all important, the school HAS to take your child if you live in the catchment, not sure about moving around outside of the catchment area, can't find any info on that.

The hard part is trying to determine how good the school is, have been unable to find any school performance results or league tables, the good thing is that most schools have a website so you could at least see what they are all about.

Hope this has been of a little help.

IanP

Archived