register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Ammosaph

The 6 month countdown....

Hi Everyone

I've been away for a while (I've been here nosing about but not posting). So here I am in July still in England (14 months after getting my visa) and I think we're nearly sorted. The house goes on the market hopefully next week and I'm led to believe (worst case scenario) I should be mortgage free by end October. Which is a bit scary to be truthful. That said, once free of that shackle there is just notice to serve at work (one month) then we're Perth bound. At the moment we're focussed on being there for Christmas Day - hopefully earlier but ideally by Christmas.

If anyone is waiting for the "point" of this post I'm sorry to disappoint you but there isn't one. I'm not about to ask a killer question, nor provide any information of any use to anyone nor share some poignant insight. I just fancied a chat with some fellow PIO-ers.

Its all getting "real" now. Removal company chosen (Crown), possessions being sorted (charity shop being well stocked!), goodbyes being started, job hunting becoming more focussed, careful consideration being put into every purchase (do I really want/need this, will it get used up before I go and/or fit in my container?).

If anyone is in a similar boat at the moment and just fancies a general chat over the next few months then feel free to hop on board this post.

Cheers guys, Ammosaph

PS - in any given day my mood/feelings about the big move rotate through the following: :biggrin::eek::arghh::unsure::jiggy:

Jan09 started TRA. Oct09 TRA granted. Feb10 175 app. Dec10 WA SS app. Jan11 WA SS granted. 10.02.11 175 changed to 176. 15.02.11 CO allocated. 09.03.11 Police Certs done. 11.03.11 Meds done. 25.03.11 Meds Finalised. 13.04.11 Visa granted. 1 way flight booked 12.08.13 :biggrin:

Good luck with getting your move sorted Ammosaph :smile:

The time will fly by and your next post will say that you're about to depart for the airport :yes:

143 application lodged and 1st VAC paid 21 May 2015, acknowledgement 25 May 2015. Previously on 457 visa, expired Nov 2016, now on Bridging Visa A, awaiting developments !

Hi Ammosaph

We're going to be just behind you in the count down stakes. We fly on 8th Jan and are also Perth Bound. I love your comment about your emotions changing throughout the day as I feel just the same. We have told all friends and family now about the date and so I really feel like we are going, aahhh. Just like you, I'll be handing my notice in with a month to go. It'll be helpful to stay in touch to compare the "to do list"

:biggrin:

Happycat

Wishing you all the best with everything! :biggrin:

As Val said the time will fly...you'll be a busy bee.

Good luck with the house sale and the job hunting.

Jxxxx

' Life is but a fleeting moment.....so do not waste a second on something that doesn't make you smile.' :wubclub:

Hi Ammosaph

We're going to be just behind you in the count down stakes. We fly on 8th Jan and are also Perth Bound. I love your comment about your emotions changing throughout the day as I feel just the same. We have told all friends and family now about the date and so I really feel like we are going, aahhh. Just like you, I'll be handing my notice in with a month to go. It'll be helpful to stay in touch to compare the "to do list"

:biggrin:

Happycat

Hi Happycat

Congrats on your move - well done on booking your flight I bet that felt good. We haven't done that yet as we're house sale dependant but am looking forward to it. As I see it we've got a number of "milestones" now: we accept an offer on the house, we sell the house, the removal men take all our stuff, we hand in notice at work, we book flights, we say final goodbyes. All of these feel like they are going to be "big days".

Please do keep in touch through this thread - it can be quite lonely doing this as friends/family don't really "get" the roller-coaster that I'm on at the moment - so it will be nice to be in contact with someone who's going through the same stuff at a similar time.

Ammosaph

Jan09 started TRA. Oct09 TRA granted. Feb10 175 app. Dec10 WA SS app. Jan11 WA SS granted. 10.02.11 175 changed to 176. 15.02.11 CO allocated. 09.03.11 Police Certs done. 11.03.11 Meds done. 25.03.11 Meds Finalised. 13.04.11 Visa granted. 1 way flight booked 12.08.13 :biggrin:

Good Luck with everything, i hope it all goes to plan..

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

One week further on - this week has been more sorting/sifting/storing/charity shop running. Fingers crossed and by the end of the week the house will be on the market.... (although I've been saying that every week for the past 3 months!). I never imagined getting us sorted out would take this long - mind you we've got (collectively) 76 years of "stuff" to sort through so its not surprising its taking a long time!

Hi Everyone

I've been away for a while (I've been here nosing about but not posting). So here I am in July still in England (14 months after getting my visa) and I think we're nearly sorted. The house goes on the market hopefully next week and I'm led to believe (worst case scenario) I should be mortgage free by end October. Which is a bit scary to be truthful. That said, once free of that shackle there is just notice to serve at work (one month) then we're Perth bound. At the moment we're focussed on being there for Christmas Day - hopefully earlier but ideally by Christmas.

If anyone is waiting for the "point" of this post I'm sorry to disappoint you but there isn't one. I'm not about to ask a killer question, nor provide any information of any use to anyone nor share some poignant insight. I just fancied a chat with some fellow PIO-ers.

Its all getting "real" now. Removal company chosen (Crown), possessions being sorted (charity shop being well stocked!), goodbyes being started, job hunting becoming more focussed, careful consideration being put into every purchase (do I really want/need this, will it get used up before I go and/or fit in my container?).

If anyone is in a similar boat at the moment and just fancies a general chat over the next few months then feel free to hop on board this post.

Cheers guys, Ammosaph

PS - in any given day my mood/feelings about the big move rotate through the following: :biggrin::eek::arghh::unsure::jiggy:

loved yur post. Pretty much going through the same here.

Don't judge even if you've walked a mile in their shoes. They haven't walked in yours yet!

What a fab post!! I think we are in a similar situation as we are visa lodged and have just completed meds and police checks as requested so we are expecting our visa in the next few months hopefully!! We are not tied down by houses etc so as soon as the visa is in our hands we are booking flights!

We are hoping it will be before christmas (ie October) as we dont want to wait until after Christmas but t alld epends on when the visa comes through. We need to find jobs pretty much straight away so if its too close to christmas we will ahve to wait. We are Perth bound!

It all feels very real this week as we filled in what we hope will be one of our lst forms for the visa process, so we can now almost see the light at the end of the tunnel after a year of visa fun! We have started to sell stuff on Ebay and planned car boots to get rid of stuff that wont sell on Ebay, and I have started the long to do list!! I know we dont have a visa in our hands but I cant see anything else going wrong therefore, we are starting to let ourselves get excited!!

Good luck to all!!

Lisa & Robert

xx

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Good luck OP. One thing I would consider would be to spend your final Christmas in UK. Maybe get to Perth in time for New Year? Missing a proper Christmas is something many Brits say they miss, even the happy ones.

Guest Koren

Hi All,

I'm at a similar stage. I've got my 175 visa but am going on my own so decided to have Christmas with my family before I move. I'll head over to Perth in January - if I have enough money saved up.

I'm staying with family at the moment, am pretty much packed ready to go and 6 months feels like an eternity :mad: . I really just want to get on the plane and go right now.

Good luck OP. One thing I would consider would be to spend your final Christmas in UK. Maybe get to Perth in time for New Year? Missing a proper Christmas is something many Brits say they miss, even the happy ones.

Hi Rupert - you make a good point but we did that last Christmas. Our original plan was to be gone by Easter, then mid Summer, now by Christmas. We MASSIVELY under estimated how long it would take us to sort ourselves out. That all said we are now practically, and emotionally, ready! Ammosaph : )

Latest update.

The house is now on the market! The board went up and our details advertised on the internet yesterday. Another "big step" taken. Now we just need to find a buyer!

We are both now very keen just to "get on and go". Emotionally we feel like we've said our goodbyes to England so we're now impatient to start over.

I'll keep you posted over the coming weeks to let you know how we get on.

Ammosaph.

The house has now been on the market for 10 days and so far now viewings :sad: I'm about to give the estate agent a call to find out what's going on.......

One week on and still no viewings so we dropped the price last night. Hopefully things will start to happen now.......

Mmmmm - thinking of renaming my post the "????? months countdown....."

We've been on the market for over 4 weeks now and so far no viewings. The estate agent says August is always slow but is very positive about September prospects. Very frustrating as when we went on the market i was thinking right, this is it, last step and we're off! Unfortunately the excitement has waned.

Still, on a positive note, every month we're here its another month paid off the mortgage and another month in savings.......

We have booked our flights for the 15th October. Love you're post and let us all know when you are heading over!!

Lisa

x

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Hello All

I think its time to re-name my post as 6 months will have come and gone soon.

So far the house has been on the market for 2 months and no viewings. We have binned off the original agent and signed up with a new one but we know that - even if we sell this year - it will be the new year before we are free from the house and can move.

We were very down about it for a while but have had a good talking to ourselves and have made the following plans in order to turn our frowns upside down.

Because our timeline hasn't worked out we will now be able to do the following things (in date order):

1. See the last Twilight film with my Mum (November)

2. Have one last Christmas with the family.

3. Spend NYE at Trafalgar Square (never done that before)

4. Meet my new (first) niece - she is due to arrive into the world in January!

Had our original plan worked out we wouldn't have done any of the above, so I'm going to take it as a good thing. If I am here for another 3 to 6 months I'm going to wring as much fun out of those months as I can.

That all said, I am still focussed on getting to my destination asap, so to focus my mind, I'm buying tickets to see Pink in Perth in June! Even if I step off the plane and go straight to the concert I am going to be there!

Ammosaph