Teenager Needs Help With High Schools.

Guest NegativePixie

Guest NegativePixie

Hey There Everyone...

I have a slight problem, i do not understand the school system in Australia.At current i am 16 (British Year 11 at school) and i have 3 of my GCSE Exams left, i turn 17 in september and i probably will be 17 when we move to Aussie.

I'm due to start college in september 2006, but if i move to aussie and i do not manage to finish my education at college.. what will happen to me, would they put me back a year maybe more, make me take tests, please help! Also, because of my age, i think il get put back into year 11, which honestly i am not so happy about but it i have to then i must.

My dad (who is on this forum as well his name is: Jonathan) hopes to get work in the Brisbane so please come i have sum names of good schools/colleges near that area

One last thing, whats the driving age limit in Aussie ?

From

Stressed Out Teenager.

Laura

Guest Nelson

Hi there! The academic year in Oz starts at the end of January/beginning of February... My children are finishing their school years in July this year and then having six months off! At 17, you could get a job or travel a bit..

Your life is about to begin and you have been given a wonderful opportunity..Grab it by the ears and RUN WITH IT!!!

Good luck! :lol:

Guest ABCDiamond

Schools

What part of Brisbane do you think you will be in ?

The rules for leaving school in QLD are:

From 1 January 2006 the minimum school leaving age will be raised from 15 to 16 years or when a student has completed Year 10, whichever comes first.

After this, the "compulsory participation phase" will commence. This phase ends when a young person -

* Gains a Senior Certificate or Certificate III (vocational qualification); or

* Has participated in eligible options for 2 years (eg. an educational program provided by a school, a course of higher education provided by a university or other provider, a TAFE course, an apprenticeship or traineeship); or

* Turns 17.

Just as an example, there will be many children here who turn 17 in September 2006 that would spend 2006 in year 12.

Driving:

In Queensland a learner can start to drive at the age of 16yrs and 6 months.

You must drive with someone who holds, and has held for at least one year, an open driver licence for that type of vehicle and you must have a zero blood alcohol content if under 25 years of age.

Learners now need to display L plates whilst learning (since Jan 31 2005), but P plates are not compulsory in QLD.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/learningtodrive_yourkeys

Guest NegativePixie

Thank You Krista, hopefully life should be ok in aussie.

ABCDiamond, my parents are looking at Forest Lake or the Gold Coast, also i dont want to leave school at 17, like most of my friends in England they'll still be in college till about 18, i want that but obivously Australia dont do that. and thank you for the information on the driving issue.

if anyone else can help with any information i would be grateful, i just want a general idea what teenagers my age out there are like and what they do before i move there.

Laura.

Guest ABCDiamond

Laura

Here is a listing of all QLD schools, and how well each school did for its year 12 students last year, with their OP results.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/swf/schoolsop.html

Be careful how you read those figures though.

and here is a link to explain OP's in detail: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/te/faqs/opfp-list.html

Hope it helps a bit. My daughter has 7 years to go before she reaches your age, so I can't give to much direct info yet :)

In regard to "a general idea what teenagers my age out there are like". Most of them in my area seem pretty pleasant. Hope it stays that way, for when my daughter gets to that level :D

Guest NegativePixie

Thank you ABCDiamond For your help :)

I saw some nice school in the forest lake area but... lets say im not to pleased with a skirt as part of a uniform... :(

but thank you :)

any more help from any other people come forth :D

Laura

Guest ABCDiamond

You may find that some schools allow an option for girls to wear long trousers during winter. I've read about it, but not seen any... ;)

Guest ABCDiamond
WooooooooW Long Trousers, Hope theyre black not some navy or greeny colour :cry:
My daughter reckons PINK would be good :D:D

But black is what I have heard :)

Which School in Forest Lake did you hear about ? I don't know much about schools down that way, but if it had been Bayside, I do know some of the schools around here.

Archived