message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Andy

England v Aus ( cricket )

Guest Guest66881

The best team won, again.

Guest Ptp113
The best team won, again.

The British Empire team won. With that many citizens to select from they should never be beaten.

Guest Guest66881

Any excuse you can think of is fine:biggrin:

Guest Andy
The British Empire team won. With that many citizens to select from they should never be beaten.

You seem to have a real problem with England and it's citizens, care to share why? :unsure:

Guest Guest66881

If theres only one of them on line, it won't happen mate:wink:

It's the Aussie gang culture:eek:

If theres only one of them on line, it won't happen mate:wink:

It's the Aussie gang culture:eek:

Aussie gang culture??? He one of your own remember

Hey Andy, well played...200 was never going to be enough....made even more difficult for us in losing Lee and Watson. Pity this meaningless bunch of ODI's has injured two quicks and an allrounder.....we can cover the quicks but our batting being so thin at the moment we can't afford to lose a batsman in Watson...Oh well...such is life :cry:

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Guest Guest66881

Youy see even old les sees quality and good play, not all Aussies are moronic i suppose, nah just a glitch i think:wink:

Guest Andy
Hey Andy, well played...200 was never going to be enough....made even more difficult for us in losing Lee and Watson. Pity this meaningless bunch of ODI's has injured two quicks and an allrounder.....we can cover the quicks but our batting being so thin at the moment we can't afford to lose a batsman in Watson...Oh well...such is life :cry:

I think Lee is retiring pretty soon so that will be a big loss but i think the time is right now for him to depart, great player and a great sportsman, i have a picture on my wall of Flintoff consoling him after he nearly saved a test match for you guys.

I think you are right with regards to the batsmen none of them have particularly stood out this series, have you many youngsters coming through?

I was also very impressed with Clarke after the match as he was clearly disappointed but was very sporting in regards to the English team and admitted they have an awful lot of work to do to be able to compete in the Ashes, i know a lot of you Aussies dont go in for all that but i like to see someone be honest, i feel a bit for him because he will take the **** if it all goes pear shaped but at the end of the day a workman is only as good as the tools he has, when you look at what Ponting had at his disposal and then what Clarke has it is a different world.

Guest Ptp113
I think Lee is retiring pretty soon so that will be a big loss but i think the time is right now for him to depart, great player and a great sportsman, i have a picture on my wall of Flintoff consoling him after he nearly saved a test match for you guys.

I think you are right with regards to the batsmen none of them have particularly stood out this series, have you many youngsters coming through?

I was also very impressed with Clarke after the match as he was clearly disappointed but was very sporting in regards to the English team and admitted they have an awful lot of work to do to be able to compete in the Ashes, i know a lot of you Aussies dont go in for all that but i like to see someone be honest, i feel a bit for him because he will take the **** if it all goes pear shaped but at the end of the day a workman is only as good as the tools he has, when you look at what Ponting had at his disposal and then what Clarke has it is a different world.

The number of kids playing cricket in Oz has been dropping markedly for years , and it shows. Basketball, football, etc are a higher priority these days.

Edited by ghost

Guest Andy
The number of kids playing cricket in Oz has been dropping markedly for years , and it shows. Basketball, football, etc are a higher priority these days.

I think that's a shame if it's true, maybe that is why you are not getting the quality through you used to get. Having said that it was a bit of a freak time to have Warne/Mcgrath/Gilchrist/Ponting etc all in the same team.

Edited by Harpodom

Guest Ptp113
I think that's a shame if it's true, maybe that is why you are not getting the quality through you used to get. Having said that it was a bit of a freak time to have Warne/Mcgrath/Gilchrist/Ponting etc all in the same team.

Agreed. Oh and I'm a pommie if you missed it?

Edited by ghost

I was also very impressed with Clarke after the match as he was clearly disappointed but was very sporting in regards to the English team and admitted they have an awful lot of work to do to be able to compete in the Ashes, i know a lot of you Aussies dont go in for all that but i like to see someone be honest, i feel a bit for him because he will take the **** if it all goes pear shaped but at the end of the day a workman is only as good as the tools he has, when you look at what Ponting had at his disposal and then what

Clarke has it is a different world.

Was that pic from the 2005 ashes?

Guest Andy

Was that pic from the 2005 ashes?
:yes:

I can only really speak from a NSW perspective as I am friends with some of the hierarchy in Cricket NSW. The problem is the selectors will not think outside the box...no balls...there are young guys around but they are too afraid to pick them, at least on tour. NSW has a good opener in Nic Maddinson but has been kept out of the team by Phil Hughes (now moved to Sth. Aussie...still wouldn't discount him) so he may be able to get a proper run this Sheffield Shield season....there is also an 18 y.o. Kurtis Patterson (still at school) who scored 157 on debut last year in a shield match......remember the name...he's good. Usman Khawaja who was given limited test opportunities has moved to Queensland and I think he will come on as he wasn't liking his cricket under the current NSW coach. There is also a very, very good quick (who is a bit injury prone like Patrick Cummins) name of Josh Hazlewood.....again if given the opportunity will be OK.

I've been watching ( and playing Grade in Sydney and Brisbane until my late 30's) cricket since the tied Test at the Gabba in '61 and I can still remember a 19 y.o. Doug Walters hammering the English attack to score 155 on debut. Our selectors don't have the balls to select a young bolter like they did in those days. Neil Harvey made 153 in his second test a few months after turning 19. Our current mob of buffoons don't seem to be able to grasp these lessons from the past. FFS our batting isn't succeeding at the moment (except for Clarke and Watson) but they won't try anything different.

Edited by Sir Les Patterson

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Depends where you are...it is still very strong in the country areas.....and that is where the strength has always been. Look at a city like Wagga. In the larger cities like Sydney/Melbourne etc there are too many things to do. here in a smaller provincial city like Cairns there is a strong junior and club competition.......and remember here in summer it is hot and very humid........but he kids still play.

Guest Ptp113
Depends where you are...it is still very strong in the country areas.....and that is where the strength has always been. Look at a city like Wagga. In the larger cities like Sydney/Melbourne etc there are too many things to do. here in a smaller provincial city like Cairns there is a strong junior and club competition.......and remember here in summer it is hot and very humid........but he kids still play.

Sorry I was quoting ABS figures from memory. A good article about it in the Canberra Times and how other sports and computer games had made big inroads into junior cricket no's. Aussie lads gone soft, and not as keen to stand around in the sun as they were a few decades ago. Happened in the West Indies too, where basketball became the game after U.S NBA games were televised.

kids dont play out like they used to in either country, computers x boxes etc have a lot to answer for.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest Andy
I can only really speak from a NSW perspective as I am friends with some of the hierarchy in Cricket NSW. The problem is the selectors will not think outside the box...no balls...there are young guys around but they are too afraid to pick them, at least on tour. NSW has a good opener in Nic Maddinson but has been kept out of the team by Phil Hughes (now moved to Sth. Aussie...still wouldn't discount him) so he may be able to get a proper run this Sheffield Shield season....there is also an 18 y.o. Kurtis Patterson (still at school) who scored 157 on debut last year in a shield match......remember the name...he's good. Usman Khawaja who was given limited test opportunities has moved to Queensland and I think he will come on as he wasn't liking his cricket under the current NSW coach. There is also a very, very good quick (who is a bit injury prone like Patrick Cummins) name of Josh Hazlewood.....again if given the opportunity will be OK.

I've been watching ( and playing Grade in Sydney and Brisbane until my late 30's) cricket since the tied Test at the Gabba in '61 and I can still remember a 19 y.o. Doug Walters hammering the English attack to score 155 on debut. Our selectors don't have the balls to select a young bolter like they did in those days. Neil Harvey made 153 in his second test a few months after turning 19. Our current mob of buffoons don't seem to be able to grasp these lessons from the past. FFS our batting isn't succeeding at the moment (except for Clarke and Watson) but they won't try anything different.

Yes i have seen Khawaja when he was thrown in at the deep end against England, probably not the best time to have introduced him to test cricket.

Guest Andy
kids dont play out like they used to in either country, computers x boxes etc have a lot to answer for.

I am not sure that the computers and x boxes have got a lot to answer for but maybe the parents have.

Yes i have seen Khawaja when he was thrown in at the deep end against England, probably not the best time to have introduced him to test cricket.

No, and thrown in at 3.....should have batted at 5 or 6 until he had some Test experience. Ponting came in initially at 6 until he had matured a bit and gained some experience. Even Bradman didn't come into the Test side at number 3. Khawaja was somewhat sacrificed on the altar of expediency in my opinion....and don't even get me started on the dropping of Katich...f***ing idiot selectors (especially that knob Hilditch)

Guest Ptp113
No, and thrown in at 3.....should have batted at 5 or 6 until he had some Test experience. Ponting came in initially at 6 until he had matured a bit and gained some experience. Even Bradman didn't come into the Test side at number 3. Khawaja was somewhat sacrificed on the altar of expediency in my opinion....and don't even get me started on the dropping of Katich...f***ing idiot selectors (especially that knob Hilditch)

Relax it's only a game. I've just been reading some hilarious threads on PPRUNE re 111's breaking windows etc etc, which you should peruse. Bloody funny stuff!

Guest Ptp113
ohh yes england winners of the ODI

Not england playing, it was the British Empire team, slightly different proposition.