register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Andy

England v Aus ( cricket )

well, if we're going to go down memory lane....how about these gems vs England

and the two nemesis during the golden hiatus 1989 to 2007 against England (54 Tests played.......Australia 34....England 9.......drawn 11)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOVei8iTyM8

[video=youtube;G-YHaPJBqzw]

Just for you harpo

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

the worm that turned....go on my son!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKE3CnklQPw

My Brain Hurts!

Love the Pratt/Punter pics. Hilarious. He may have had a teeny weeny point about the substitutes but that seemed quite irrelevant at the time.

That was definitely the best series I have ever seen - either live on on the tele. I watched about every ball live or on the box - the luxury of being childless at that point and working in education!

Totally agree re the 2005 ashes. I was at Edgbaston on day 1, the day that Mcgrath tripped on a cricket ball before the match started, oh how we laughed! 400 runs by England on day 1, game on....

My Brain Hurts!

Totally agree re the 2005 ashes. I was at Edgbaston on day 1, the day that Mcgrath tripped on a cricket ball before the match started, oh how we laughed! 400 runs by England on day 1, game on....

Bit like this, Oh how we laughed

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Guest Andy

Yeah i can see nothing funnier than a top class sportsman having such a bad accident that pretty much ended his career, had me in stitches. Still whatever you get off on :nah:

Has anyone actually got anything to add about the current teams and odi series and maybe next years ashes or are we going to carry on point scoring over past incidents that have been done a million and one times? :unsure:

Nice to see the English lion sitting on the poor little roo for once.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Yeah i can see nothing funnier than a top class sportsman having such a bad accident that pretty much ended his career, had me in stitches. Still whatever you get off on :nah:

Has anyone actually got anything to add about the current teams and odi series and maybe next years ashes or are we going to carry on point scoring over past incidents that have been done a million and one times? :unsure:

I was replying to the...."oh how we laughed" at Glen Mcgrath twisting his ankle with something equally absurd but obviously the irony was lost on you. :rolleyes:

As to the current ODI's...meaningless series that most cricket aficionado's are wondering why it is even being played....still most one dayers' and 20/twenty games are meaningless, the World Cup and possibly the Champions Trophy being the exception.

Edited by calNgary

I was replying to the .."oh how we laughed" at Glen Mcgrath twisting his ankle with something equally absurd but obviously the irony was lost on you. :rolleyes:

As to the current ODI's...meaningless series that most cricket aficionado's are wondering why it is even being played....still most one dayers' and 20/twenty games are meaningless, the World Cup and possibly the Champions Trophy being the exception.

They are sideshows , the only tre cricket and the real test of a team is test cricket.

Edited by calNgary

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest AKA63029

Really looking forward to the Ashes Andy next year, I honestly think it will be a lot closer than people think it will be, well at least I hope it is anyway.

As far as the 20/20 goes, no matter the 'reasons' why it was instigated, it still makes for great entertainment.

Yeah, I was in the Edgbaston shop at the time so didn't see it - just heard the announcement that he wasn't playing which raised a big cheer in the crowd.

Brilliant day's cricket that - well brilliant 4 days.

Blimey! Nothing wrong looking at the historical context of ashes battles Andy, it all adds spice to the mix of ashes cricket IMO

My Brain Hurts!

Andy, whats your feelings for the last 2 games? Do you reckon we will win one? I doubt it, you guys do seem to be that next up that next 'notch'

I did hear from George Bailey, via his sister who had spoken to him just after the second Aussie defeat, that England deserved its win. He said the Poms batted, fielded and ran better than the Australians.

Who says we are bad losers?

Guest Andy
I was replying to the...."oh how we laughed" at Glen Mcgrath twisting his ankle with something equally absurd but obviously the irony was lost on you. :rolleyes:

What cricket aficionado's?

And i disagree about odi and 20/20 pretty much every England game over here is sold out.

Guest Andy
Blimey! Nothing wrong looking at the historical context of ashes battles Andy, it all adds spice to the mix of ashes cricket IMO

Yeah perhaps i was a little to over the top so apologies there

Guest Andy
Andy, whats your feelings for the last 2 games? Do you reckon we will win one? I doubt it, you guys do seem to be that next up that next 'notch'

Sorry mate but i cant see you winning a game to be honest, during the first game at lords i thought you were in with a shout but England again struck at the right times and just when they needed to when the aussies looked dangerous and quite honestly the next game was one sided, however i hope you guys come back strongly over the next year or so and make a real fight for the ashes as it is always best when the matches are tight and when there is not much to choose between them.

Guest Andy
I did hear from George Bailey, via his sister who had spoken to him just after the second Aussie defeat, that England deserved its win. He said the Poms batted, fielded and ran better than the Australians.

Who says we are bad losers?

I dont think you are bad loser's at all when it comes to cricket, i have spent many a day sitting with aussies at the cricket and they give as good as they get as well as admitting when their team has been outplayed, thats my experience anyway.

What cricket aficionado's?

And i disagree about odi and 20/20 pretty much every England game over here is sold out.

Sorry...I should have been more specific.........those that have played it at more than backyard or schoolboy level.

I dont think you are bad loser's at all when it comes to cricket, i have spent many a day sitting with aussies at the cricket and they give as good as they get as well as admitting when their team has been outplayed, thats my experience anyway.

Thats my experience also. A lot of Aussies ive spoken to were sick and tired of the aussi team's arrogance and wanted England to do well, whereas the Aussie team itself weren't satisfied unless it was a bloodbath. Like you say they (the Aussie fans) are gracious in defeat, I just think its the media and the Aussie team that created a culture of animosity towards the poms

My Brain Hurts!

Guest Guest66881

Hes such a bitter old ****:wink: Ian botham i mean:rolleyes:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Can they play cricket under water, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

At least the good news for Australia is that they won't carry on losing, lol.

Thats my experience also. A lot of Aussies ive spoken to were sick and tired of the aussi team's arrogance and wanted England to do well, whereas the Aussie team itself weren't satisfied unless it was a bloodbath. Like you say they (the Aussie fans) are gracious in defeat, I just think its the media and the Aussie team that created a culture of animosity towards the poms

I hate to agree with you but the media is the main culprit in many ways...especially the Murdoch press ( The Aussie team wanted to put their foot on their opponents throat and crush them....true...but that is nothing that Aussie and English teams have not done in the past. Think Douglas Jardine in the 30's and Frank Tyson in the 50's, Ray Illingworth with John Snow in 71....they all wanted to grind the opposition into the ground. Nothing new there.

For your info.......I have a relation that played for Yorkshire and England...not a lot of Tests but still played.

Edited by Sir Les Patterson

Guest Guest66881

Are you English or Australian Hoffey?