Guest Olibear

Moving back - how do you sell....everything?!!!

Guest Olibear

So we're moving back. Melbourne has been great but there are so many factors now that mean we are making the move: births, deaths, loved ones, LAFHA (don't get me started) etc.

Anyway, was just wondering what everyone else was doing in terms of selling stuff or are you all taking it back with you? We're planning to ship/fly boxes home but not the 1/2 container that we came over here with. Personal stuff will go but everything else has to stay.

We have 2 months left and, well, don't want to sell til the very end to avoid sitting/eating/sleeping on the floor especially with two young children. Thinking we'll have to frantically sell sell sell in the last few weeks. And the Car???

So glad we're leaving in winter/early spring, would be tough leaving in summer...saying that, we won't get a summer for another year!

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.

Guest guest68546

Heres my 2c worth.

If you are going to wait until the end, unless you get very lucky, I think you will have to be prepared to accept fire sale prices (and that includes the car). You could advertise just now on the likes of Gumtree and put an 'available from' date; you might get lucky. Worst comes to the worst, wait until nearer the time, stick it on ebay and take what you are offered. You could also make a list of the 'must haves' and then start selling everything else now. Don't leave it too late to even sell the 'must haves' if you don't want to be left having to dump it.

HI

We are moving back to Ireland in 2 weeks, 5 days (but whose counting, me) and I started putting items on gumtree about 1 month ago. Some items were very popular but I am left with the washing machine and fridge and freezer and qs bed. The car I put on carsales.com.au and that's had a great response - I have some-one interested coming to see it today. Every so often I go onto gumtree and lower the price of my items - hoping to generate some interest. Realistically I know I will have to sell them off cheaper than I would like but I'm hanging out for as long as I can. I am going to put up a sign at work and see if I get any takers. I'm already sitting on the outdoor setting - the sofas and dining suite were the first to go. For me its a case of roughing it for a few weeks until I get home - good luck with your move.

Mentally prepare yourself to sell cheaper than you would like - though I did do well on some items - and look to the future.

Home at last - Yippee:yes:

Guest Olibear

Thanks TopBhoy and Legal angel.

TopBhoy, I think that's kinda what we thought and Legal angel sounds like you're almost there. We thinking of selling the sell able stuff as soon as possible and make do with the rest but with two little ones we need to be realistic with what we need. The car is tricky. Good idea about work, might even find a taker for the car there!

Have already sold a few items so hopefully we've got time on our side and over next few months can shift as much as possible before having to give it all to Salvos.

When we moved back to Canada, we had three weeks from decision to move back to actually flying out.

I placed my car on Gumtree (got fire sale price), luckily I made up a list of items to sell and posted it at my work, I was very lucky all my work mates brought 90 % of my items, other friends brought the majority of the rest.

We left Australia as we had arrived just with suitcases.

Good luck with moving back.

Cheers

Karen

Back in Canada over a year and half, miss some aspects of Australia but glad to back home. !!!!

Guest Julz

We are moving in December and sold a load of our stuff on Gumtree....my advice is get it on gumtree early that way you have more chance of selling it, we've sold about a third of our stuff already via gumtree. Have a car boot sale to get rid of all the little things and join a Facebook garage sale near where you live, these seem to be very popular. Also add items on any work intranet you have or noticeboards in local shops.

Hi

We came over with a 20ft Container, going back in 4 weeks with a 40ft, I've put some items on trading post but sold nothing and there pretty cheap. I bought a spa what was a big mistake can't sell that as we will get peanuts for it. I managed to sell my car 6 months ago and bought a cheap car. I think if you don't value then item you have to sell it for peanuts or give it away. I would just keep basic items you can skip like blow up beds old towels. Try selling you can outside with a sign on or the last thing I would do take it into a garage and get what you can. Good Luck

Sold pretty much everything on Gumtree and the car on one of those car websites. We kept double bed til last minute and guy from work picked it up on day we left. Unfortuately we did spend 3 months on camp furniture and a travel cot. My mum came to stay and we got an inflatable bed. Cheap as. We got a tellie from freecycle.com which we freecycled at the end too. We were let down a bit by someone at the end who was going to take lots of baby toys etc and bath and travel cot but our landlady was kind enough to get rid of them to charity. Am pretty chuffed to say that hardly anything went into landfill. We also brought stuff back over, but did live in a barely furnished house for months. Wasn't as depressing as you'd think cos we knew we were on way home.

Oh and in addition, the only way to sell stuff is to sell it cheap as! Like really cheap, Don't expect to get much back. Sorry :(

Our spa we bought for 10k and sold for 2k only a few years and still warrantied later.

Guest Olibear

Right, so bottom line...start selling now and make it as cheap as chips!

In hindsight it's a shame we can't stay and make a business out of buying up expat's belongings for them on the day they leave to go back and sell it on for it's market value - because you'd have time on your side!

Had originally thought that with the car we'd pre-arrange for a garage to buy it off us on a particular date (i.e. soon to leaving). The biggest problem is, you're completely in their hands and if they want to take another $1000 off then we'd be stuck.

Need to sus out guys at work as that looks like a good untapped resource - especially the graduates who are looking to move out of home!

Wow that was a big drop on your Spa we bought ours for $8500 and I'm hoping to get $5000 , i suppose it's weighing it all up with the shipping costs!!! I'll have to break the ice off with an axe in the UK ha ha

Edited by Desprado
Spelling s

Have a good think about how much you're going to lose by selling it all so cheap. Does the amount you'll lose exceed the total for shipping it all home? Especially if you can get a bit of help of friends and relatives back in the UK by borrowing some furniture from them until your stuff turns up.

I could never sell everything. We have made 4 international moves now, 2 paid for by us, 2 paid for by companies. Usually the only thing we sell is the car, and give away anything that may give us hassles through customs. When we go back this time we may even take the car with us. Our friends have just left and they owed more on their car than the thing was worth, had to accept a ridiculous price from a local dealer but at least they could keep it until a few days before they flew.

Making some hay whilst the sun shines

just had a quote for 40 ft container OMG $15500 , thing is most things are so sentimental. I won't be doing this again. Some items I can't afford to insure because of this, never mind just hope it doesn't go overboard.

Edited by Desprado

Guest Julz

You don't need to sell things really cheap if you sell in plenty of time, we sold our leather sofa, dining room table and chairs and livingroom furniture for really good prices. We were even surprised we sold our 3 year old TV for only $300 less than we paid for it.

Yes I suppose we did have to sell our spa reasonably quickly. We had expected it to go with the house but the buyer did not want it and we had to sell it in a month or something. But there are also not that many people who want to buy second hand spas. In a way we made 2k as we expected nothing for it as like I said it was supposed to go with the house. If you want to sell it get it on the 'market' asap!! good luck. The car was ok we got what we would have expected for it. Was really only a year old.