Secondary School Teacher with no experience - can I apply after 1st July?

filthyphil

Hello all

I have just completed a PGCE in ICT Secondary Teaching. I want to apply for PR as a Skilled Migrant as a Secondary School teacher.

Under the previous (before 1st July 2012) system I believe you had to have 1 year experience before you could apply. I have now got a job (starting in September) so I was going to wait until I had the required experience before I applied.

However, looking at the new system (post 1st July) it does not seem to say anywhere that you need this experience. My occupation is on the SOL1 list and I have the required points to make an EOI.

Could I apply after 1st July 2012?

Do I need to get all my checks and skill assessments done before I make an EOI?

Is it better to apply for a state sponsored visa, if so, how do I go about getting state sponsorship?

Thanks in advance to all you kind kind people :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile::smile::smile:

Phil

It might be worth running your case past a Registered Migration Agent first.

You will need a positive skills assessment and IELTS completed before you can lodge a EOI - where you also select you wish to be considered for State SPonsorship.

The 12 months out of 24 has been removed from the application process - but most states require 2-3 years work experiance to be able to get sponsorship. ALso with no work experience you will need to see if you are able to get a positive skills assessment.

So in theory yes you can apply, but I believe you need to have things like skills assessment done first. You should bear in mind though, that you are competing with other applicants and secondary teachers with experience are going to be looked upon more favourably. Well I would guess they would be anyway. In your situation, it might be worth monitoring the situation for a while ... none of us really know how this will work until we see it.