ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

devon67

royal brunei

anybody flown with them?

flights are £1053 for 2 adults one way to melbourne

no extra baggage allowance though

or should we pay that little extra and go with singapore airlines?

Royal Brunei Airlines official 3-Star Ranking v Singapore Airlines official 5-Star Ranking

No contest as far as Im concerned, Singapore Airlines is THE BEST way to get from the UK to Australia

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I've travelled Singapore and would highly recommend them

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

If you have the extra £s required it sounds like you should go Singapore - if not £1053 for two adults sounds a blooming good bargain :smile:

143 application lodged and 1st VAC paid 21 May 2015, acknowledgement 25 May 2015. Previously on 457 visa, expired Nov 2016, now on Bridging Visa A, awaiting developments !

Not sure how much singapore is compared to brunei, but I would personally go with singapore, we flew a return flight with Brunei to brisbane a couple of years ago, the plane was ok plenty of entertainment films etc, hostesses where not very happy & they would wake you up if you was asleep for the food which was horrid, kids didnt eat for 23hrs, brunei airport where you would stop off is small & horrible dont ever want to land there again, also there is praying to allah for the plane to have a safe flight & landing on the speakers when taking off & landing, does'nt give you much confidance in the plane..lol

Oh and I forgot to mention most important bit, Its a dry flight, no alcohol, muslim airline...so if you like a drink dont go Brunei..!

Not sure how much singapore is compared to brunei, but I would personally go with singapore, we flew a return flight with Brunei to brisbane a couple of years ago, the plane was ok plenty of entertainment films etc, hostesses where not very happy & they would wake you up if you was asleep for the food which was horrid, kids didnt eat for 23hrs, brunei airport where you would stop off is small & horrible dont ever want to land there again, also there is praying to allah for the plane to have a safe flight & landing on the speakers when taking off & landing, does'nt give you much confidance in the plane..lol

Oh and I forgot to mention most important bit, Its a dry flight, no alcohol, muslim airline...so if you like a drink dont go Brunei..!

This freaked me out when I first traveled with Saudi Airlines:biggrin:

, suddenly they started praying for a safe flightand I was really quite alarmed. Their service is very good though.

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

Hiya

just got back today with royal Brunei. They weren't my first chi

oice I admit but they were much cheaper than the others when we booked. All good though. Weve been to Melbourne and back and cannot fault them. All the flight attendants were lovely to us and the kids. Always bringing juices etc round. Entertainment fine. Very smooth flights with no delays. Downsides are :- stopping twice ( Dubai and Brunei ) instead of once like most other airlines. And no alcohol. But, 2 stops weren't too bad. Loads to do at Dubai. Brunei airport is having a revamp and we literally had enough time to go to the loo and have a coffee before reboarding the plane so no issues. If you have more than 3 hours there they lay on a free city tour for you which is a nice touch. Re the alcohol. This could be a slight problem as if you are anything like me I need a large glass of wine or 2 to get through the flight !! They are very happy for you to open your own duty free alcohol to have on the plane and will happily provide glasses , mixers and ice etc. me and hubby bought wine in duty free and drank no probs the first 2 legs But yo cannot do it the between Brunei and oz as Brunei will not allow you on the plane there even if just transiting with any alcohol. Sealed or otherwise

Hope that helps. I would have no probs flying with them again. Off to have sleep now. Rachel x

Rachel (Nurse), Dan, Sam, (11) and Jack (8)

3/8/11 VISA GRANTED

June 2012 Visa validated (VIC, NSW & QLD Road Trip of lifetime

Moved to Australia, August 2014

:laugh:

there is praying to allah for the plane to have a safe flight & landing on the speakers when taking off & landing

This has just put me right off EVER flying with them, I wouldnt go with them now if they were doing free flights to Australia....

Before I'd even read this bit, the praying to Allah had put me off them enough, this has just enforced that!

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Guest Guest68570

I recommend Royal Brunei Airways. I did London- Melbourne Tullamarine, with two stops in Dubai and bandar seri begawan in January and returned in April.

Ok yes there's no alcohol, but the staff were lovely and the two stops are quite nice, although stopping in the UAE is a bit scary, Brunei is very pleasant, lovely people and if you get the chance to do the day tour around Bandar Seri Begawan, please do so It will certainly make for a memorable day!

You get to see the mosque, go to the disco supermarket and my personal highlight a trip along the mucky river to see the monkeys. And then to end up int he dazzling city of Melbourne, is such a wonderful treat at the end.

Guest Guest68570
This has just put me right off EVER flying with them, I wouldnt go with them now if they were doing free flights to Australia....

Before I'd even read this bit, the praying to Allah had put me off them enough, this has just enforced that!

\

They only do the prayer between Bander Seri and Dubai. Melbs- Brunei there isn't one and Dubai to London there isn't.

I flew with them between london and perth 2010, had no issues. The flight was the cheapest it was £520 return each which is why we booked with them. Like others have said it is a dry airline but they allow you between London and Brunei to have alchohol from duty free and will give you a glass. There are two stops, dubai and Brunei with Dubai having a lot to see and Brunei having very limited, but like somebody else has said if its over 3 or 4 hours in Brunei you can do a free city tour bus. They do have on the screens prayer after take off and before landing which made me slightly nevous but there isn't anything to worry about. The air hostess were pleasent and the entertainment was good. I would fly again if the price was the cheapest but if there wasn't much difference in the price I would probably fly with another airline to avoid the extra stop.

anybody flown with them?

flights are £1053 for 2 adults one way to melbourne

no extra baggage allowance though

or should we pay that little extra and go with singapore airlines?

Hi there, i have been with The mighty Brunei Airlines and like Maruska says, it was a bit nerving when a pray came on about a safe flight, the first half of the flight when the pray first came on the dodgy old tv screen it had no subtitles but when we changed airplanes at Abu Dhabi that one had subtitles, that's when we was reading about having a safe flight:huh:... Also no booze and i didnt think the food was that good...

The worst thing was, about 2 week before we was flying, British airways suspended all flights going to Saudi Arabia for the fear of some kind of terrorist attack, BUT it was cheap...

OH,IELT 6.5.11 8.5.skills asses ANMAC-26.4.12 Approved-23.5.12. PCC-2.5.12. Sent WASS-23.5.12 Approved-28.5.12. 176 29.5.12. Meds-23.6.12 finalised 9.7.12 OH 1.9.12. Oz pcc sent-25.6.12 Rec`d 15.8.12. CO-10.7.12. AHPRA sent-30.06.12 approved-16.7.12 VISA GRANT 3.9.12

OK if there is no booze there will be something else that makes up for it, something local. Saudi Airlines serve white coffee (raw beans) very strong in tiny cups plus dates filled with almonds, yummy:biggrin:

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

Hi used royal brunei 2 year ago to fly to perth, 550 each return read reviews and thought oopps!

could not fault them, treated like royalty , drinks topped up without even asking etc, plenty of room on planes,

infact were not full so flight from dubei to brunei we had middle row 3 seats each so layed out and sleeped as was night flight.

recomend highly

Dave

I haven't travelled on Royal Brunei but know people who have including family members and no complaints at all. At end of day, I don't believe any one economy class is really that much better than another, 24 hours on a plane will always be rubbish. I like an alcoholic dirnk on a flight, but the sensible thing is to not touch it, so that is not such a downside really.

Guest JK2510

Flown with both....I think it definatly boils down to price and whether your pennies can stretch to fly with Singapore....brunei were great...planes were a little tatty but the hostesses made up for it...they were excellant....Singapore were excellant and would reccommend them to anyone....OHs mum and dad flying out with them in oct...I think they paid £900 each.

My husband flew for Royal Brunei for 9 years, so I have probably flown with them more than most. Also flown quite regularly with the others. You can get good and bad trips with any airline, all depends on the cabin staff. On the whole they have a good reputation, and are definitely good value for money. They only fly to Melbourne now, as they stopped their other Australian destinations last year.

I have no problem with the prayer, kept me safe, and you can take booze on board on some sectors and the cabin staff have no problem with giving out glasses. On the whole the cabin service is good.

Ref. the poster who didn't like the food, and whose children were hungry, you can always buy food at the stop overs, and take a sandwich back on the flight with you. I always take muesli bars at least with me on any trip + sometimes a sandwich, but I'm very used to not wanting to eat the airline food, as had too much of it over the years.

Singapore Airlines usually good, and will go the extra mile for you, can be a bit boring on a long flight having rice with every meal, ok not breakfast.

Emirates, don't really like flying with them. The cabin staff are from so many different countries that although they do the job, yes efficient, but there somehow is no cohesion between them, and don't bother using the call button, from my experience it is ignored.

Etihad again a bit the same as Emirates, but no real complaints, especially with the new terminal in Abu Dhabi.

Definition of a good pilot is;

As many landings as take offs!!! So any airline that gets you to your destination safely is fine by me.

Just my opinion but I think Singapore Airlines are a bit over rated. I've recent flown from Manchester to Melbourne and Melbourne to Shanghai with them and on both trips the in flight entertainment was pretty poor if I'm honest. Maybe three films you would want to watch and then a lot of dross. The food and drink were fine and the crew were attentive but no more so than any other airline? All the planes were uncomfortably hot and I became seriously dehydrated despite constant drinks of water. I was fortunate to be in business class where you don't need to worry about space, but I understand the economy legroom is average and less than some competitors.

That said, they were a lot better than BA for example. If they are the same price as everyone else then they are definitely a good bet, but personally I wouldn't pay a premium to fly with them. No experience on Royal Brunei but they seem to be fine, so I'd forgo a few glasses of wine in the air to save several hundred pounds.

Anyway, hope you have or have had a good and safe trip.

I have flown with both paying...

Brunei 752 return

Singapore 1152 return (both London to Brisbane).

Differences:

Seats slightly bigger on Singapore (nothing major)

Entertainment the same on both

Alcohol provided with Singapore

Brunei airport is horrendous, Singapore is amazing - is it worth the price hike though?!

I would bare in mind to check the stop over times. I was stuck at Brunei for 13 hours and it was terrible, however for 400 quid I would probably to it again.

Nothing wrong with Royal Brunei although a one night stay in Bandar Seri was enough. Hotel good but a little boring though modern and rich city.

I have flown them three times but last time would be six years ago. From memory we had the prayer on every take off back then. Rather liked it myself as get a sense of being in another world.

If a lot cheaper I'd have no hesitation.Usually fly Emerates these days as big baggage allowance or sometimes Thai when I get the feeling to stop over in Thailand on the way.