Concerns over flying our dogs to Oz.

Guest GemandDavid

Guest GemandDavid

Hi Everyone.

We are in the very early stages of planning our emigration to Oz and before making the final decision to move to the other side of the globe we really could do with some help and advice regarding the shipping of our 2 Dalmations.

If all goes to plan they will both be 10 years old when we manage to make the move and we plan to be in Melbourne.

We've been to the vets this morning and given the all clear for them health wise plus Dalmations can live until around 14/15 yrs however our concern is that we have heard some horror stories about the conditions for pets whilst being transported on the flight (extreme temperature differences etc.).

There is no way that we would consider rehoming them, they are our family and we feel that emigrating is not a good enough reason to rehome family members.

Has anyone had a simlar experience to what we are going through and if so how were your dogs upon their arrival to Australia?

Were they visibly stressed?

Are you able to visit them regularly whilst in quarantine?

What type of crates are best?

In fact any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D&G

Just to let you know, this is the Pet Air section you've posted in. Bob replies from them in this section :)

If you mean to ask the forum in general you may be better to post this in the Pet section also.

Guest GemandDavid

Thanks for letting me know Snifter, I'll post there.

However if Bob should happen to have any thoughts it would be great to get as much advice as possible.

Guest The Pom Queen

Bob would be the one to chat to and if you were to ship them, I cannot recommend anyone as highly as I recommend Bob.

• 1 month later...

Having had a number of quotes from places, including Bob at Petair, who I have to say has been fantastic and very informative with his email replies to me I hope I can put your mind at rest slightly.

We are looking at taking one of our 2 labs with us to Victoria when we move. The other one is 7 years old, has an irregular heartbeat and the missus didn't want to put him through the flight as much as it pains her to leave him here. Happily her folks are having him so he is still in the family.

Anyhow, back to your original question. As far as I have been led to believe from the info I have been given, your dogs will travel in Hold 5 of the plane. This part of the plane is heated and pressurised and dimly lit so that pets can settle. There are no people in this hold, nor would there be during the flight so dogs etc can settle comfortably and quietly. Some flights may have a stopover in Singapore where they will be checked and water replenished etc but that's about it.

I'm sure Bob will be along in a bit to re-affirm what I have already told you, but I hope for now that it puts your mind at rest.

Just make sure you do what I did and make a list of questions you want answering and contact a number of different companies - some shipping companies that you may get round if you are shipping stuff will pass your details to companies they deal with as far as pet shipping goes as well.

Good luck with your move and I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your 4 legged family members :-)

P.