The IT field Thread

PW1

Does anyone know which companies still use mainframes in Perth? I see the odd advert - but I get no bites. I'm really only interested in finding the companies so I can book mark them for a later date (although an offer would tempt me) I work mainly on supporting multi layered stuff, web clients that talk to unix, mainframes etc. asp.net, C#, sql server, unix, mainframe, cobol db2. I specialize in tracing bugs through multiple platforms.

Hi all, I am currently in Perth as PR for three months. My education has already been assessed to be equivalent of Australian Bachelor's Degree. I am an IT Bachelor's Degree graduate from the Philippines.

I have had two years .NET development and MS SQL experience particularly as developer from Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines and an engineering firm.

I am willing to be hired full-time and even below standard salary (as I know that my two years experience is also just referred to as a Junior .NET Developer)

I just need something to get started since I am having a hard time settling.

Kind regards,

Kristia

Hey guys

I am due to arrive in some weeks - still finalizing a few details.

I come from a programming background (Java) and now mostly doing Enterprise Integration and BPM work with TIBCO products.

I am arriving with a 457 visa, sponsored by a company to keep on working on the same field.

In terms of salary, I can't complain. It's not bad, but not what I had planned for me. I am 10% under what I had planned for my minimum base. I will be quite aggressive in 2014 trying to get a raise or finding a new employee.

In March 2014 I am moving to Perth and wish to continue as a Agile Web Development Consultant.

Can anyone recommend an accountant to help me set up my company and do the books? I understand that contracting is fairly common in Australia but I am finding it hard to find accountants online.

In March 2014 I am moving to Perth and wish to continue as a Agile Web Development Consultant.

Can anyone recommend an accountant to help me set up my company and do the books? I understand that contracting is fairly common in Australia but I am finding it hard to find accountants online.

I use Desbrough, as do several of my contractor colleagues.

Yes Australia currently has a lot more oportunities for IT skills than the UK & Ireland. I am looking to sponsor & employ on 457 visa's some highly skilled Microsoft Cerftified Field engineers, mainly in SME Support (a lot more varied and skilled work in many respects than Enterprise level). If your interested in working in Northern Australia and have SME IT Field Support experience (inc Servers) and excellent customer service skills (including extremely good english) then feel free to get in touch.

Also the market for jobs is highly competitive. What you need is excellent IT Skills and MOST importantly great English & communication skills.

Also most people make the mistake of thinking they need to go to the big cities. They are the hardest places for IT Candidates new to Australia to get work (except perhaps Taxi Driving work:)). Head to a Regional area like here in Darwin, but there are many other options too. See http://www.theterritory.com.au for example. Make sure you have a good resume (without errors) and get it out there, also remember that most jobs are not just through recruitment agencies but directly with employers, so check out the Job ads from a whole range of sources, you have to be proactive, if you just rely on a recruiter or wait for it to come to you - It WON'T.

If your interested in working in Northern Australia and have SME IT Field Support experience (inc Servers) and excellent customer service skills (including extremely good english) then feel free to get in touch.

OK, first it's "you're", not "your".

And English starts with a capital letter.

Unless, of course, you were being ironic.

• Like 1

Ooopps, that’s embarrassing, especially when in the same line as my statement (including extremely good English skills) :)). Still the intention is clear & I will put "must improve my English" on my todo list. Yes it should be

If you are interested in working in Northern Australia and have SME IT Field Support experience (inc Servers) and excellent customer service skills (including extremely good English), then feel free to get in touch.

But ahh I am probably misusing comma's and brackets too. Still the bottom line is if your a great IT Tech and looking for a job, PM me.

Hi all..

I'm currently going through my 189 visa application (EOI submitted) and just wanted some info about the OZ IT market. I've read on here and other forums that it's not as buoyant as it was so getting a little worried about making the move if finding a job will be difficult.

Bit of background on me, I'm 42 year old Brit, 17+ years IT experience at an Enterprise level, MSITP Enterprise, MCSE 2012, VMware certified, HP and Netapp Storage certified. Currently working as a TDA (Technical designer) for a large multinational Telecoms company doing large scale enterprise wide deliveries anywhere up to 140,000+ user base solutions. Also worked on a lot of Government contracts so currently SC cleared. My current role involves everything from Solutions architecture design right through the life cycle to the end implementation of I can put my hand to just about anything.

Obviously I'd like to try to find something at a similar level, but appreciate I might have to build up to that.

What is the market like for people like me?

Also interested in opinions on IT in both Perth and Melbourne. I've not decided on which I prefer yet (although edging towards Melbourne) but the buoyancy of the IT market could be the deciding factor.

Any advice or information appreciated.

Melb has a bigger market, but also more people looking for those jobs.

As long as you are good, you shouldn't struggle. It helps to be very western with good English skills.

The Aussies I've dealt with in IT seem to struggle with accents. Indians don't tend to do so well, as they can't be put in front of a client and be well understood.

Thanks. I'm from Co Durham, in the Uk, Just recently sat my IELTs and got all 9s.

I deal with clients and customers daily, from end users to high level senior managers, no problems completing documentation or giving presentations at that level too.

It's concerning to hear that IT people are not getting jobs, but I'm hoping/assuming these are people without a great deal of experience? (or am I wrong?)

>>Thanks. I'm from Co Durham, in the Uk, Just recently sat my IELTs and got all 9s.

I've no idea what that is, or if that's good or bad. :)

The people I've seen struggle are the people with little business experience and little westernisation.

It's a place in the north east of England. On the whole, I'd say it's a good thing.

Thanks. I'm from Co Durham, in the Uk, Just recently sat my IELTs and got all 9s.

I deal with clients and customers daily, from end users to high level senior managers, no problems completing documentation or giving presentations at that level too.

It's concerning to hear that IT people are not getting jobs, but I'm hoping/assuming these are people without a great deal of experience? (or am I wrong?)

I think you are right when you say people that struggle to find work in IT have little to no experience. I suppose there are a few around who have been unlucky but with your experience I don't think you would have a problem for long.

I don't know who to contact but NBN co. might be interested in seeing your resume. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I am in Australia from past few months and unable to find a job. I am Java developer with over 7 years of experience. I met and spoke to few consultants here. They say that currently the IT job market is pretty dull and since I don't have a local experience its hard to find a job. Moreover, market may not pick up for next few months. Certainly, there are abundance of IT professionals here who have so called 'local' experience.

Saddened by this.. I am now planning to go back to India..

When do you think the market will improve here ?

Guys,

I am in Australia from past few months and unable to find a job. I am Java developer with over 7 years of experience. I met and spoke to few consultants here. They say that currently the IT job market is pretty dull and since I don't have a local experience its hard to find a job. Moreover, market may not pick up for next few months. Certainly, there are abundance of IT professionals here who have so called 'local' experience.

Saddened by this.. I am now planning to go back to India..

When do you think the market will improve here ?

Where is 'here'?

Work for me is flat out, and we seem to be getting more contractors every month.

I've found you need to be very 'western'.

Even though my department is made up of a lot of ethnicities (about 9 or 10, out of 2 dozen people), they are all 'Australian'.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I will finally be making the trip over to Melbourne this year, I was wondering how all the previous posters have got on since? Even if its just one sentence, a little update from everyone would be really interesting, don't forgot to mention what you do, and where you are located so people can work out if its relevant to them. Remember its not a thread for finding a job, its a thread to find out how you are getting on finding a job, and how you view the industry as it stands.

Looking forward to hearing your replies! Thank you, everyone and happy new year (the 7th, I think I'm still in the 'Happy New Year' window?)!

Regards,

Paul.