The IT field Thread

PW1

Scope of Project Managers in Sydney Banks.

Hi All

I am considering a PR immigration to Sydney. I am working as change manager in a leading Multinational bank, in India. can u pls advise what is the scope for experienced project managers in Sydney. what are the factors which will work for me and against me?

I am keen to continuing in the banking field - leading IT projects. Want to guage before I take the leap.

Scope of Project Managers in Sydney Banks.

Hi All

I am considering a PR immigration to Sydney. I am working as change manager in a leading Multinational bank, in India. can u pls advise what is the scope for experienced project managers in Sydney. what are the factors which will work for me and against me?

I am keen to continuing in the banking field - leading IT projects. Want to guage before I take the leap.

I think the answer lies in the question. A leading multinational (lower case, unless that's the name) bank? Why not get them to transfer you to one of their Australia branches? That way you don't have to give up long service benefits and you'll already have a job when you get here. Got to be worth a try, surely.

I'm a contractor in London, developing under C#/WPF/SQL and using Agile/Scrum and TDD. I've never had problems finding jobs here, I get calls and emails from recruiters a few times per week, which keep adding to the general idea that the market's doing well over here. I'm thinking of moving in Oct/Nov to Sydney or Melbourne, mainly for a new experience and not to regret later in life I haven't given it a go. Having said that, my concerns about the job market over there are holding me up from making any commitments towards moving, such as leaving my job and house here and booking the flight. I have always regarded the job markets in Sydney and Melbourne smaller than London's but at the same I've always had the confidence that, despite that, I will still find jobs. This proved to be true as following a Skype interview I had last week I've already got an offer in my inbox. Unexpectedly easy but I won't accept it as their environment is surely not for me.

The problem I have is that after this interview and also after skimming through the current jobs on seek I started wondering if high standards of work (software craftsmanship), Agile methodologies and a general focus on quality are not regarded as very important in Australia? I'm very picky when it comes to jobs and I'd rather go for a lower paid job where I can work with people that have high standards of professionalism over a high paid job where mediocrity and low quality are the norm.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you feel is the general outlook of software craftsmanship and Agile in Australia?

The problem I have is that after this interview and also after skimming through the current jobs on seek I started wondering if high standards of work (software craftsmanship), Agile methodologies and a general focus on quality are not regarded as very important in Australia? I'm very picky when it comes to jobs and I'd rather go for a lower paid job where I can work with people that have high standards of professionalism over a high paid job where mediocrity and low quality are the norm.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you feel is the general outlook of software craftsmanship and Agile in Australia?

There is a lot of dross out there. A lot. Being a contractor means you are always under review though.

My main client is very focused on the quality side. More so that any UK client I'd worked with. But who knows what the people in the next office are like. I even know that within this client different projects are run in different ways.

In the background though, there is a large focus on cost cutting, as the Philippines is cheap for coding. So you've got to add something extra to be valuable here.

I think the answer lies in the question. A leading multinational (lower case, unless that's the name) bank? Why not get them to transfer you to one of their Australia branches? That way you don't have to give up long service benefits and you'll already have a job when you get here. Got to be worth a try, surely.

Hi Xenon,

thanks for your response. I am worki in a British bank - and it does have operations in Sydney. However in case some thing does not open up for me within the bank then what are the chances of landing in Sydney with a PR and job hunting within similar banks out there? Just want to assess my chnnces in case I need to start from scratch in Sydney.

Regards,

Nish89

Hi Xenon,

thanks for your response. I am worki in a British bank - and it does have operations in Sydney. However in case some thing does not open up for me within the bank then what are the chances of landing in Sydney with a PR and job hunting within similar banks out there? Just want to assess my chnnces in case I need to start from scratch in Sydney.

Regards,

Nish89

Well, I guess your first port of call is the visa. No visa, no job. To get the visa you'll need to be qualified in a trade on the CSL, or whatever they call it now. Additionally, you'll need to get your skills recognized as pertaining to that trade. Unless you studied in Australia, this can take some time. Obviously, before you commit to the time and expense of getting all this stuff together, you want a fair idea of whether it will be worth it. Unfortunately, it's really not easy to say. Yes there is work around, but less than before. You only need one job, but if you're in a niche you might be unlucky in finding a position. My advice would be to get your skills recognition first. This costs some money, but compared to the costs of the visa and migration costs, it's not so much. By the time you've got skills assessment, the picture should be clearer for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am moving over at the end of the year with my Australian girlfriend on a defacto visa, so thankfully I don't need to worry about the skills assessment side of things.

My background is in trading application support and engineering, and with Sydney being the main financial centre in Oz it has been a driving factor in choosing where to settle.

How is the IT market at present in Sydney ? Has anyone on here got any experience within this particular field in Sydney and can point me in the right direction ? The obvious choice would be the ASX but there must be more out there!

Sydney is a lot smaller than London so not many companies with big trading floors. ASX is cetainly one option but they dont pay that well. There are a few biggish banks; Macquarie, Westpac, CBA, NAB and RBA. Try looking on their sites. Cant say what the market is like as I don't look at support roles. You could always look on seek and get a feel for the market yourself.

Just remember December and January are usuall very quite periods, not a lot of hiring goes on then.

Good luck.

Hi All,

I need feedback on Opuluntez - migration agency. They are MARA registered. I want to know how good they are in handling immig visas. I am a project manager - PMP certified and have approaced this agency for initial report. Will go forward with them if I get positive feedback about them. If anyone has successfully migrated via them, from IT sector, and from Pune, India - it will be great to hear from you please. ( I know - finding a needle in the haystack ;)

Thanks,

Hi All,

I need feedback on Opuluntez - migration agency. They are MARA registered. I want to know how good they are in handling immig visas. I am a project manager - PMP certified and have approaced this agency for initial report. Will go forward with them if I get positive feedback about them. If anyone has successfully migrated via them, from IT sector, and from Pune, India - it will be great to hear from you please. ( I know - finding a needle in the haystack ;)

Thanks,

I think its Opulentus, not Opuluntez.

I've never heard of them, but my advice would be this: find out what sort of support you'll get for getting recognition from the ACS. And what job category they think you could apply under. The ACS process is quite lengthy; if all they do is give you some proformas that seemed to work for other people, you might be in for a hard slog.

Thanks Xenon, for the tip. To confuse me further they are strongly suggesting Subclass 190 though I was very keen on moving to Sydney (as I have cousins staying there) and I think Sydney offers many job opptys. The code suggested for me is ICT Project manager - which Opulentus insisits will not fly readily with a 189.

can I leverage my cousin's Oz citizenship to get a better ranking on Subclass 189? Else I will be bound to 190 - Western Australia or ACT :(.

I have trawled the immig website but cannot find response to these queries.

Thanks & Regards,

Nish

I think its Opulentus, not Opuluntez.

I've never heard of them, but my advice would be this: find out what sort of support you'll get for getting recognition from the ACS. And what job category they think you could apply under. The ACS process is quite lengthy; if all they do is give you some proformas that seemed to work for other people, you might be in for a hard slog.

Interesting. I try not to have much to do with IT recruiters, but I have met one or two in Brisbane that knew their stuff - and they were Brits. What helped was that they had some industry background and really seemed to understand the job requirements. Basic stuff I know but I've talked to some appalling ones here and in the UK!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

I have am moving to Perth in March 2014 and have a Skill Independent 189 visa. I have a few questions I was hoping you kind people could help me with?

I am moving from the UK were I have worked as a contractor for several years. My current role is as an agile coach. I have lots experience in web development, tech leadership / architecture. I am also a certified Scrum Master. I am hoping to continue contracting in once I get to Perth. Can you help answer any of the questions below? I would love to hear your experiences.

Which are the best job sites?

Is the contract market healthy in Perth?

What is contacting in Australia like compared to the UK - from what I see it seems pretty similar?

Any tips on setting up in Australia. Costs. Time. Umbrella services / verse own company?

Any recommendations for accountants / agencies?

Is it worth considering a perm job. Perks. Salary. Cover Relocation costs?

Which are the best job sites?

seek.com.au - for jobs.

RobertWalters "SalaryChecker" app - for rates. (They do a qtrly update on their website of how the industry is going)

Is the contract market healthy in Perth?

Seems to be, but a lot of coding work is heading to the Philippines due to costs.

Contracting is common here for all sorts of jobs, not just IT.

What is contacting in Australia like compared to the UK - from what I see it seems pretty similar?

Never contracted in the UK. So couldn't tell you.

Any tips on setting up in Australia. Costs. Time. Umbrella services / verse own company?

I got an accountant to setup the company. budget 40 hours weeks, and 48 weeks a year. Unless you do something special, you have to budget for Super (pension) payments too.

GST 10%, Super 9.25% (but super is sliding up to 12% over the next few years).

Getting a loan will be harder. House loan they want 12 months of invoices and a tax return. Personal loans they wanted 2/3 months.

Any recommendations for accountants / agencies?

Agencies - None. At all. Most are worse than useless.

Accountants - I use Desbrough, as they are a friend of a friend. Slower than the UK, but then so is everything else in Perth.

Is it worth considering a perm job. Perks. Salary. Cover Relocation costs?

It is. But it depends on what you want. Being permi doesn't offer you the security nowadays anyhow.

Edited by Bibbs

Thanks Bibbs. It is reassuring to hear that the contract market is healthy out there.

How long did it take you to set up your company out there? Is this something I can do from the UK so I can hit the ground running?

Not sure what the pension stuff means. Guess I should do some more research in this area.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Will W

Took the Accountant a week to get me a company number (ABN / ACN) then another week to get all the paperwork signed off.

http://www.ato.gov.au/General/Enquiry-hot-topics/In-detail/Businesses/ABN-registration/

I think you need a TFN (Tax File Number), so you'd probably need to be here.

I am Australian. I've no details on the time taken for other visas or resident status.

Pensions here are compulsory for the company to pay for employees. It was 9% last year, 9.25% this year and I think it goes up to 12% by 2020 or something (details on the ATO - Australian Tax Office). But if you are a director, you can get round this (dividends vs salary).

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm finding it hard to find system administrator jobs in queensland, I apply through seek.com.au and never hear anything back!

Easier to be a cleaner than get work in IT :)

Chris Eales

And yet on another thread, IT is still on the recently issued Qld state sponsorship list. It just doesn't add up, does it.

Been in Brisbane since 2010.

Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. Really rings true for me. All I had was a Diploma (from the UK) and no work experience in the field. I had a small health organization take a chance on me (because my mum worked for them already) and from there after being made redundant after only a few months (heh it was only a small organization!) I've been able to secure contract, part time and casual work with the same company on and off since the end of 2010.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Things are quite slow at the moment though. Normally we'd be looking at taking on 6-7 contractors for the peak season but this year we're only taking 4.

If anyone knows or is an oracle dba I have open vacancies at the moment and will have more next year. Will also be looking for sys admins and SQL server DBAs next year.

Brisbane based

If anyone knows or is an oracle dba I have open vacancies at the moment and will have more next year. Will also be looking for sys admins and SQL server DBAs next year.

Brisbane based

Hey Hoffer,

keep me in mind for the sys admin's :)

If you need my CV let me know.

Cheers

Chris Eales