The IT field Thread

PW1

It might be worth having a chat to a few agents or locals. An IT contractor in Sydney was telling me that things are good down there, whereas the UK jobs market has been poor all year.

I've got a friend over in Adelaide, and he reckons that the economy is slowing, as did another who left Melbourne for China a few months back.

I get the impression that things are bad in the east and booming in the west, which might affect IT roles, since these tend to be concentrated in Sydney and Melbourne.

Contracts aren't bad, as they tend to pay more. At least, they do in the UK. Unfortunately rates are down, and the gaps between them are wider, which makes it a tougher business to be in.

Hi Graemsay,

Sorry, I'm not having a go, just trying to ascertain the facts. You say that Sydney seems to be doing ok for IT roles, whereas a little later you say that things are bad in the east, where Sydney is, obviously. Do you know for sure if things are bad or good, or do you mean they are good, but may turn bad? I'm probably translating your posts incorrectly, hence I need the clarification :)

Hi Graemsay,

Sorry, I'm not having a go, just trying to ascertain the facts. You say that Sydney seems to be doing ok for IT roles, whereas a little later you say that things are bad in the east, where Sydney is, obviously. Do you know for sure if things are bad or good, or do you mean they are good, but may turn bad? I'm probably translating your posts incorrectly, hence I need the clarification :)

Hey, I'm nothing if not inconsistent. :biggrin:

The impression I get is that things are slowing in the East, but that they're not as bad as in the UK by a long way. There's still work there, and in some cases the money is decent. But it's not a boom time by any stretch.

And, yeah, I'm hearing mixed messages.

Hey, I'm nothing if not inconsistent. :biggrin:

The impression I get is that things are slowing in the East, but that they're not as bad as in the UK by a long way. There's still work there, and in some cases the money is decent. But it's not a boom time by any stretch.

And, yeah, I'm hearing mixed messages.

No worries. Thanks for the update :biggrin:

I'm guessing as long as one is willing to work at anything (even McDonalds), for a few months, until the right IT job comes along, then one cannot go wrong.

I'd like to think that with several years networking experience with a FTSE 100 company would land you a similar role sooner or later, no matter what the economy is like.

I guess the problem is how it works out economically in relative terms compared to the UK.

I'll shut up now - thinking out loud, on my keyboard :wacko:

Hi

Well I have recently left my local government job here in the UK (voluntary redundancy) to pursue a move to Oz. A mate of mine worked there last year but left and I applied for his job and got it and am moving out there on a 457 visa in 10 days time.

My background in local government initially was GIS which then evolved into a Business Analyst Role, working with 3rd party suppliers, internal business departments and IT to develop, and implement mobile working initiatives and business process re-engineering.

So I am going back to my GIS background in my new job although they use a different software package, they are all fundamentally the same really, however having scoured the job market since I left my local government job, it is clear the direction that GIS is moving in, which is something that I am hoping to hone my skills towards whilst in my new job.

Web/server based GIS and cloud technology seem to be the way things are going now so I am going to have to get into learning something from the following asp.net, c#, java, ajax in order to pursue this area a lot more in the future.

I have some basic knowledge of SQL and did VB at college years ago so I'm hoping that my ability to pick things up quickly and being fairly technical minded anyway will stand me in good stead ! Working for a Utility company will give me the ability to use GIS to its full potential rather than for just printing off maps which I was used to doing.

The salary I'm starting on isn't fantastic by comparison to what can be achieved, but its £10k more than I was on here in the UK and that is just my starting salary so hopefully the only way is up, and I can prove to be a real asset to the company so that they sponsor me and my family permanently.

I've got 2 months before my missus joins me in Oz, so I'll have plenty evenings free (saving cash) where I can sit down and start working through some ebooks I've downloaded on the some of the above mentioned languages.

I'm under no illusions though that I am going to have to work my ass off to get anywhere. The main difference I have been told between the UK and Oz is that if you put the effort in it is recognised and you will be rewarded, whereas back here in the UK that tends not to be the case. Whether that's strictly true or not I don't know and I'm sure it will be different for all parts of the two countries depending on who you are and what you do, but if it is true then hopefully this could be the start of bigger and better things for my family and I.

That's my bit said anyway....hope it helps.

The salary I'm starting on isn't fantastic by comparison to what can be achieved, but its £10k more than I was on here in the UK and that is just my starting salary so hopefully the only way is up, and I can prove to be a real asset to the company so that they sponsor me and my family permanently.

Hi cronemeister,

Have you seen the posts on here about needing to multiply your UK salary by approx 2.2 to get the Australian equivalent?

So the equivalent of 40,000 pounds is around $88,000 not $60,000 as the exchange rate may suggest.

Just thought I would mention it in case you had missed those posts and this helped with your planning in any way.

Good luck with your plans.

There's a piece at The Australian today. (Not behind their pay wall.)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/it-jobs/job-uncertainty-hits-it-sector/story-fna12gpc-1226456277556

It sounds like things aren't great.

Yeah, you hear some doom & gloom stories, then there are some green shoots: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/it-jobs/it-employment-tipped-to-improve-as-tech-chiefs-plan-big-year/story-fna12gpc-1226399160429

Like you say, mixed reports.

Guys,

I landed in Perth last week (14th Aug) and having done quite a bit of legwork while in the UK (see my post on Page 2) I met with 2 recruitment agencies, the ones who seem serious in representing you will want to meet you (from my experience anyway).

One of them set me up with an interview a few days later and I found out today they I have got the job, its only a 3 month contract but with possibilities of an extension.

So from my point of view, the market seems good :)

I had a call off Jumar Solutions a few days ago about a possible team lead job in Sydney. I lost out because they found someone who already lived there.

I followed things up today, and had a chat to one of their recruiters. It sounds as though the market is mixed, with quiet periods interspersed with bursts of activity. I don't think that it's great, but it's probably better than the UK.

I had a call off Jumar Solutions a few days ago about a possible team lead job in Sydney. I lost out because they found someone who already lived there.

I followed things up today, and had a chat to one of their recruiters. It sounds as though the market is mixed, with quiet periods interspersed with bursts of activity. I don't think that it's great, but it's probably better than the UK.

I have 2 I.T resumes.

The first IT resume, states where I gained my experiences from (UK and US)

The second resume, states my past and current job titles But not the location if where I worked.

Resume 1 gets no hits, however I hear back from recruiters after sending out resume 2!!!!

what gives?!?

do aussie IT recruiters not like UK or US expats??

So I figured I will continue using resume 2 and not disclosing where I got my IT work experience from because I get more replies with it.!

much better than the US too!

• 1 month later...

If you're good you'll always find work . I've contracted in London right through the recession and never been without work .

My skills are current, cutting edge and sought after . I spend between 2-3 hrs a day studying on top of my working day. Next year I move to Sydney , I have no concerns over work . Talent and confidence are easily spotted by employers.

Edited by squarepusher

I'll add my situation here.

IT Developer (Software Engineering degree, +5 years UNIX dev, +5 years Windows dev). Was based in the Thames Valley area of the UK.

Arrived in Perth in the middle March 2011, took till the end of April 2011 till I got a job (6 weeks).

Agents were useless, so after 4 weeks I did the donkey work myself.

This ment scanning Seek and looking for non-agency roles being advertised.

Currently contracting, long term. Been at the same palce 16 months now with a few other contracts dotted about. It's a non-mining related company.

Mainly .NET and SQL DBA stuff.

Work is steady. Few colleagues have left my current client and started in new companies straight away.

I'm contacted every few months via LinkedIn with new job roles for Developers.

The money is good (a LOT better than being a permi the UK).

Only thing I did to my CV was add URLs of where I worked, and add blurb about what the company did.

I also took off UK qualifications that they's not know about (GCSE/A-Level etc.) and just left the degree.

I'll also add 'need local experiance' is an excuse. It means 'I don't like you and it's an easy out'.

Edited by Bibbs

Guest katie007
I'll add my situation here.

IT Developer (Software Engineering degree, +5 years UNIX dev, +5 years Windows dev). Was based in the Thames Valley area of the UK.

Arrived in Perth in the middle March 2011, took till the end of April 2011 till I got a job (6 weeks).

Agents were useless, so after 4 weeks I did the donkey work myself.

This ment scanning Seek and looking for non-agency roles being advertised.

Currently contracting, long term. Been at the same palce 16 months now with a few other contracts dotted about. It's a non-mining related company.

Mainly .NET and SQL DBA stuff.

Work is steady. Few colleagues have left my current client and started in new companies straight away.

I'm contacted every few months via LinkedIn with new job roles for Developers.

The money is good (a LOT better than being a permi the UK).

Only thing I did to my CV was add URLs of where I worked, and add blurb about what the company did.

I also took off UK qualifications that they's not know about (GCSE/A-Level etc.) and just lef the degree.

I'll also add 'need local experiance' is an excuse. It means 'I don't like you and it's an easy cop out'.

Nice to read a POSITIVE seeking method, Yes you Must do the Donkey Work, Jobs, will not pop up like Mushrooms (As many seem to think) 10/10....

For anyone looking for IT work in Brisbane, I would strongly reccomened a company called Robert Walters on Eagle Street.

They are very friendly and helpfull and I signed up to them from the UK and was in regular contact with them at various stages of my move and went in for a in interview when I arrived just as a bit of a fall back in case my current position didnt work out.

Nice to read a POSITIVE seeking method, Yes you Must do the Donkey Work, Jobs, will not pop up like Mushrooms (As many seem to think) 10/10....

A lot of Agencies are just CV mining. Put out a tasty job and then pull in the details for the database. The jobs don't exist.

You then get asked 'Where else have you had interviews, so we don't contact the same people?'. All they are doing is finding out who's hiring and going to hamper your search by flooding that company with other applicants to compete against you.

I met with 4/5 agencies, and only one was actually any good at getting back to me (but still didn't find anything - but they were at least trying).

Car Sales/Estate Agents/Recruitment Consultants. Most (not all) would sell their granny for a sale.

Edited by Bibbs

For anyone looking for IT work in Brisbane, I would strongly reccomened a company called Robert Walters on Eagle Street.

They are very friendly and helpfull and I signed up to them from the UK and was in regular contact with them at various stages of my move and went in for a in interview when I arrived just as a bit of a fall back in case my current position didnt work out.

They also have an iPhone app for Salaries.

I also used this website :-

http://www.peoplebank.com.au/knowledge/salary-survey.php

Edited by Bibbs

Guest katie007
A lot of Agencies are just CV mining. Put out a tasty job and then pull in the details for the database. The jobs don't exist.

You then get asked 'Where else have you had interviews, so we don't contact the same people?'. All they are doing is finding out who's hiring and going to hamper your search by flooding that company with other applicants to compete against you.

I met with 4/5 agencies, and only one was actually any good at getting back to me (but still didn't find anything - but they were at least trying).

Car Sales/Estate Agents/Recruitment Consultants. Most (not all) would sell their granny for a sale.

Exactly Bibbs, Ditto.

This is why I replied to a thread with this........

General Reply to all seeking this information on Live Mines DIDO or FIFO.

The Overseas Candidates who are still needed for Mines Work must have some working history within Mines, Mechanic, Welders, Pipeline Related, Fitters, and the list goes on.

We have found that many Overseas Candidates read and think, WOW massive money to be made, I want this also !!!!!

Not as easy as this one is sorry to say.

Mining Companies are mainly interested in higher levels of placements, Engineers, Geo's Open-Cut and Underground plus proven history in Mines.

Australia has massive OH&S laws restricting many to enter a mines site who have not been pre-approved (Like a Construction Site Ticket)

Trades like Carpenters, Plumbers, Painters & Decorators are Trades that are required by (Sub-Contractors) who are Sub-Contracted to the Mines, even many Welders and Boilermakers positions are not directly in the mines but may be with an Australian Company who is (Sub-Contracted) to the mines.

Example:

SunCity Plumbing and Electrical in Geraldton WA.

Last week was looking for Tradesmen, who have Plumbing History in a whole range of work and you will be working for SunCity directly and will work at some of the Mining Sites they Sub-Contract for.

(Not working as a Plumber and directly employed by or for Rio or BHP or Newcrest or others, NOT even Gina @ Royhill Project needs you) it is the Subbies you need to locate to be able to gain this type of work.

The best way for for any Overseas Candidates who is seeking to Work within the mines is select an employment and marketing system and locate the Companies who will be the Subbies to the mines.

or

Find a (Local Recruitment Company) in the area you wish to live and work and ask them to take your Candidates Submission on to seek and locate suitable work.

One other requirement you must consider is:

The Visa you will have (Subclass) if you have EN Class Resident, state this in your address letter.

Not all Australian Small Subcontractors have DIAC Approval to Sponsor on 457 Visa, many seek State Government assistance.

Many Companies now are gaining direct access to EOI within Skillselect and accessing directly Overseas Candidates without going through a third-Party Recruitment Company, this is FOC for them and they can make direct contact and Employ without having to pay massive placement fees.

You need to dangle a (Carrot) to the Australian Company to consider your Candidate Submission so make sure you list ALL your Skills in your Resume.

KIS = Keep It Simple in your Opening Letter / Resume, (Last thing any MD of a Company wants to read is a Mills & Boon Love/Hate story of why they want to leave the UK or other Location.

So you can see there are many factors to consider and look at.

The best is Word of Mouth, many Jobs are obtained through not what you know, but WHO YOU KNOW this is why Australia is still the Land of Opportunity, many placements are gained via the Bush Telegraph, you need to talk and ask the people you know and those on the ground, forums like this assist to make those contacts but is not the only method to secure a suitable Overseas Job.

From time to time we do know of Australian Companies seeking Quality Staff, I will be placing this information under the Jobs Forum, it is you who must make contact, and I hope these pointers help you.

Do any of you guys or gals have any experience working long term for the one client as a contractor. My current employer wants me to work for them from Brisbane when I arrive (they are based in Dublin).

How does the 80/20 affect your take home pay as a contractor and also how does it affect the employer??

Any advice would be appreciated...

Do any of you guys or gals have any experience working long term for the one client as a contractor. My current employer wants me to work for them from Brisbane when I arrive (they are based in Dublin).

How does the 80/20 affect your take home pay as a contractor and also how does it affect the employer??

Any advice would be appreciated...

It's sort of a guideline, not a hard a fast rule.

Not had an issue yet, but I can see it being a problem for me in the future if this project continues the way it is (I think my ratio was about 97% / 3% in my last/first year).