Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

PW1

The IT field Thread

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, andrewajp002 said:

I have been in oz now nearly 2 years working for 1.3 years, the market is fine but many companies will not touch expats that do not have any Australian experience.  It took me 7 months to find work, had plenty of interviews / phone calls but even though I was qualified and perfect match for the job I never got any call backs.

Good luck in everyone's search.

More than the right fit and experience for the job, the language and way candidates express themselves tends to be an issue. Then there is the bad luck to factor in because Australia works on who you know rather than what you know. If you have contacts who vouch for your work ethics and experience then the recruiting manager happily takes their word to give that person a chance. They dont care if you always worked in the Energy sector but want to move into the Banking domain, if someone vouches for you then you get in

I wouldnt say that companies here dont look at expats with no local experience. From personal experience, I know of 3 companies struggling to get the right people for major work in Agile, DevOps, CI/CD etc. A lot of companies accept industry experience from European countries and America, which I can attest to in my own example. It took me 5 weeks to find a role and I'm just your boring run of the mill Project Manager while my partner is a PMO/finance analyst (BTW, she got a role in 2 days). At my work place we still need more PMs but can't the right candidates, whether with local or international experience

Dont want to scare people so its important to have a well balanced view. Spend a little time researching and you can quickly find out how you'd fare in the local work force market here. It's not a mature market so people with niche skills may take a long time to find a role or need to branch out. The complexity of projects too isnt comparable to bigger markets like the UK or USA, this has been said many times before on this forum. People tend to quickly get bored with the work as it's not satisfying professionally

KnK


Karen & Ken | PRs done and UK Home on Sale : Jun 16 | Moved to Aus : Dec 16 | Break from Life : Dec 16 to Feb 17 | Mel Rental, Jobs and City Life : Feb 17 | UK Home Sold : Mar 17 | Mel Land Purchase : May 17 | Home Construction : Sept 17 | (Bye bye city and hello suburbia) Moved in : Aug 18 | and on to the next............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run an IT Services company in the North of Australia.   We have sponsored several IT Engineers and Technicians with great success over the last 10 years.

Most people make the mistake of thinking they have to go to Sydney or Melbourne to get IT work, the opposite is true, as unless you have very specialist skills (and they are in demand at the time) you will find it very difficult to get IT work there as there are many many other people also seeking those same jobs, and who probably don't need sponsorship which is an expensive, time consuming and difficult process.

Feel free to PM me your Resume/CV and a covering email detailing more about yourself if you would like to be considered.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
More than the right fit and experience for the job, the language and way candidates express themselves tends to be an issue. Then there is the bad luck to factor in because Australia works on who you know rather than what you know. If you have contacts who vouch for your work ethics and experience then the recruiting manager happily takes their word to give that person a chance. They dont care if you always worked in the Energy sector but want to move into the Banking domain, if someone vouches for you then you get in
I wouldnt say that companies here dont look at expats with no local experience. From personal experience, I know of 3 companies struggling to get the right people for major work in Agile, DevOps, CI/CD etc. A lot of companies accept industry experience from European countries and America, which I can attest to in my own example. It took me 5 weeks to find a role and I'm just your boring run of the mill Project Manager while my partner is a PMO/finance analyst (BTW, she got a role in 2 days). At my work place we still need more PMs but can't the right candidates, whether with local or international experience
Dont want to scare people so its important to have a well balanced view. Spend a little time researching and you can quickly find out how you'd fare in the local work force market here. It's not a mature market so people with niche skills may take a long time to find a role or need to branch out. The complexity of projects too isnt comparable to bigger markets like the UK or USA, this has been said many times before on this forum. People tend to quickly get bored with the work as it's not satisfying professionally
KnK



Which state are you based in, and what areas are you looking for PMs for? Could you pls IM me?


Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, a few thoughts from my job hunt....

We moved to Sydney in June and it took me about 4 weeks to find a job. I have a mainly Java dev and design background.

I just applied via the usual sites, Seek, LinkedIn and Indeed. 

I had a lot of rejections and also many companies never replied. Agents would often contact me sounding very keen, but then never rang back with anything concrete.

One difference to the UK is that agents wanted me to interview in person with them before putting me in front of their clients. In the UK I found that all I needed was a chat with an agent over the phone rather than face to face with them.

I think that you often get rejected/ignored if the recruiter doesn't recognise the companies you worked for in the UK. There also seems to be a lot of jobs filled via networking and contacts. 

I would say join some meetups and try to make some contacts when you attend. There are often recruiters at meetups looking for potential employees.

Dont give up, there are many companies who are not obsessed with Australian experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As as graduate, it took me 2 years to get a full time job that I want (software developer).

Though I found a full time contract job after 1.5 years, but not in the field that I want (helpdesk).

I have no prior experience, only part time in fixing computers. Mostly applied jobs through LinkedIn and Seek. So many interviews, so many high hopes, yet so many rejection.

What finally helped me to get a full time job was the job agent that helped me getting the contract job in the first place. It's real tough with so many competitions.


189 Visa (261313) | Age: 25pts, Bachelor: 15pts, Au study: 5pts, English: 10pts, Professional Year: 5pts, Partner skill: 5pts. Total 65pts |

EOI lodged first time with 60pts: 02/02/2016 | EOI update with 65pts: 18/02/2017

EOI Invitation: 29/03/2017 | Visa lodged: 29/03/2017 | CO contact: 08/04/2017 | Information Provided for CO: 23/04/2017

Visa Grant: 12/08/2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys n gals

At the risk of getting spammed, I thought I'd reach out and give any kickass Business Analysts on here a chance to join us on the Sunshine coast QLD. We're really looking for someone very specific - call it an "Agile BA". Someone who has worn a couple different hats before / Technical PM / Scrum Master / Business Systems analyst.

We’re looking for someone to hold a laser-focused view of the development process, from ideation through development and delivery to support. We’d love someone who has the breadth of experience to be able to cherry-pick from their arsenal of tools to produce the right outcome based on the teams needs. We need someone who will argue like they're right and listen like they're wrong, all while striving for the best possible business outcome.  

PM me if that's you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,


I currently have two job vacancies which I am actually finding hard to fill. One for a Mobile Developer (iOS and Android with .NET backend) and the other is for a .NET Web Developer. We are based in Perth and looking to start people immediately so if anyone is already in Perth or likely to be arriving in the near future feel free to message me or apply. There is the possibility of sponsorship if you are on a temporary visa already. The job descriptions can be found at……

.NET Web Developer: http://schrolegroup.com/1008-2/
And
Mobile Dev: http://schrolegroup.com/1013-2/


Thanks
-Daniel
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dears, I am software engineer currently in data warehousing technology with 7 years experience. I have experience in BO Reporting tool and ETL (BOSS). Kindly let me know if any opportunity is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I’d like to know some information for my husband about the demand for contractor PM’s in Sydney. Also the hourly rate?

Is there any chance he could get interviewed for a job ( say on skype) before he leaves or would he need to wait until he is in Australia first?

Background: my husband is a senior technical PM, scrum master, agile, has done pretty much every area of IT. He started many years ago as a Sys admin. He can code and do websites etc. He has also been a program manager and a release director. He has a lot of knowledge in the energy sector but also has done credit card processing and worked for the AAA and many other things I can’t recall. He isn’t too fussy about industry or role title as he picks up new technology very fast, it’s his passion.

I think due to his outgoing and jovial nature and hardworking ethic, Australian employers would love him. And I think he will love working with Aussies! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newstart said:

Hi guys,

I’d like to know some information for my husband about the demand for contractor PM’s in Sydney. Also the hourly rate?

Is there any chance he could get interviewed for a job ( say on skype) before he leaves or would he need to wait until he is in Australia first?

Background: my husband is a senior technical PM, scrum master, agile, has done pretty much every area of IT. He started many years ago as a Sys admin. He can code and do websites etc. He has also been a program manager and a release director. He has a lot of knowledge in the energy sector but also has done credit card processing and worked for the AAA and many other things I can’t recall. He isn’t too fussy about industry or role title as he picks up new technology very fast, it’s his passion.

I think due to his outgoing and jovial nature and hardworking ethic, Australian employers would love him. And I think he will love working with Aussies! :) 

Hey Newstart,

The market is quite good for PMs assuming he has well rounded experience across a few industries or one industry that has a lot of demand. There are major transformation programmes across banks and telcos at the moment with everyone trying to grab good Agile and Scrum leaning PMs. Sydney has better demand than Melbourne but note that things are winding down now and will pick up from mid to late Feb once the holiday season is over

Rates vary a lot and the energy sector along with financial institutions are top paymasters. As a ball park the range is between $700 and $1200 per day, the higher end for Senior PM and more for a Program Manager. Perm salaries in good companies are around the $180k mark all thrown in, but can go much higher depending on the skill and what they are looking for

I tried getting interviews when I was in the UK but no one bothered, there is enough talent here for agencies to not bother about those outside Australia. My personal recommendation is to find out all the companies, recruitment agencies and websites, create profiles and start monitoring the kind of roles being advertised

I ended doing just that. We moved over to Sydney in Dec, enjoyed for a month and started applying from mid-Jan as the market started opening up. Got quite a few calls, finalised a role in Melbourne late Feb and started work in March. I could've got higher day rate jobs if I waited a little more but it got boring sitting at home watching crap Aussie day time TV :-)

Best of luck

KnK


Karen & Ken | PRs done and UK Home on Sale : Jun 16 | Moved to Aus : Dec 16 | Break from Life : Dec 16 to Feb 17 | Mel Rental, Jobs and City Life : Feb 17 | UK Home Sold : Mar 17 | Mel Land Purchase : May 17 | Home Construction : Sept 17 | (Bye bye city and hello suburbia) Moved in : Aug 18 | and on to the next............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much KnK, that’s very useful info! :) 

You sound like how my husband is inbetween contracts, climbing the walls, ready to get back into the next role. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2017 at 00:31, supercow said:

Hey guys n gals

At the risk of getting spammed, I thought I'd reach out and give any kickass Business Analysts on here a chance to join us on the Sunshine coast QLD. We're really looking for someone very specific - call it an "Agile BA". Someone who has worn a couple different hats before / Technical PM / Scrum Master / Business Systems analyst.

We’re looking for someone to hold a laser-focused view of the development process, from ideation through development and delivery to support. We’d love someone who has the breadth of experience to be able to cherry-pick from their arsenal of tools to produce the right outcome based on the teams needs. We need someone who will argue like they're right and listen like they're wrong, all while striving for the best possible business outcome.  

PM me if that's you.

Just read your job spec to my husband and he said “ this is me” and to ask you the rate lol. However, he is in the UK atm but not in a role and willing to travel ;). PM me if you would be happy to consider him for a similar role next year and I will give you his contact details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 10:27, Newstart said:

Hi guys,

I’d like to know some information for my husband about the demand for contractor PM’s in Sydney. Also the hourly rate?

Is there any chance he could get interviewed for a job ( say on skype) before he leaves or would he need to wait until he is in Australia first?

Background: my husband is a senior technical PM, scrum master, agile, has done pretty much every area of IT. He started many years ago as a Sys admin. He can code and do websites etc. He has also been a program manager and a release director. He has a lot of knowledge in the energy sector but also has done credit card processing and worked for the AAA and many other things I can’t recall. He isn’t too fussy about industry or role title as he picks up new technology very fast, it’s his passion.

I think due to his outgoing and jovial nature and hardworking ethic, Australian employers would love him. And I think he will love working with Aussies! :) 

Hi Newstart,

Take a look at Elabor8. They have offices in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. They are an awsome company who specialise in agile coaching of all sorts. I think they would be happy to talk to your husband before you arrive in Oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a software engineer with 8 years experience in datawarehousing, business objects tool in both reporting and ETL . Kindly let me know for any job opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2017 at 04:13, MetalToby said:

Hi Newstart,

Take a look at Elabor8. They have offices in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. They are an awsome company who specialise in agile coaching of all sorts. I think they would be happy to talk to your husband before you arrive in Oz.

Hi MetalToby,

Thank you so much. I will get the husband to look at their site. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

 

I'm a young analyst programmer (5 years of experience) who's planning on moving to Melbourne at the end of this year. I'm in a bit of a niche market, since I'm currently working in the AS400 / IBM i domain.

I'm actively looking for a job on multiple job sites, and applying to jobs both in my field and just low level analyst jobs. But I'm not seeing a lot of feedback. Is it normal for agents not to respond when you're still abroad?

 

I must admit that going through this forum is not improving my confidence. We have enough savings for a prolonged job search / vacation, but that's not something I particularly enjoy. 

As a silly side-question: is there any specific Australian IT lingo I should be aware of? 

 

Thanks in advance,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are best to target the banks as they are most likely to be using those technologies. It is quite narrow so it may take longer than usual to find work.

Dont expect much joy when applying remotley. I think they get so many speculative applications that they dont bother responding unless you are in the country.

If you are in the UK, I spoke to James Ballard at Robert Walters (look him up on linkedin) he was able to give me some advice and pass my details to their offices in Aus. Again, they didnt want to speak to me until I got here but the agent was good helpful once I arrived.

There is nothing specific about the Australian IT world to worry about, writing software is the same everywhere. You will obviously need to learn the specific domain you move into, but that is the same when moving jobs anywhere so dont worry about that.

Once you arrive make sure you join some meetups, recruiters often attend these looking for people.

Hope that helps

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jondar said:

Hello everyone,

 

I'm a young analyst programmer (5 years of experience) who's planning on moving to Melbourne at the end of this year. I'm in a bit of a niche market, since I'm currently working in the AS400 / IBM i domain.

I'm actively looking for a job on multiple job sites, and applying to jobs both in my field and just low level analyst jobs. But I'm not seeing a lot of feedback. Is it normal for agents not to respond when you're still abroad?

 

I must admit that going through this forum is not improving my confidence. We have enough savings for a prolonged job search / vacation, but that's not something I particularly enjoy. 

As a silly side-question: is there any specific Australian IT lingo I should be aware of? 

 

Thanks in advance,

Agents will ignore you until you are onshore as they generally need people to fill immediate gaps.

Its best to target companies directly, either look up someone in your area in those roles on linkedin or hr directly. As mentioned, banks are a reasonable bet. ANZ and NAB are spending big on IT projects at the moment, so you may have luck there.

IBM have a large office in southbank, you could see if you could get something there in the short term, or even try some of the UNI's - RMIT are spending as well at the moment.

  • Thanks 1

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jondar said:

Hello everyone,

 

I'm a young analyst programmer (5 years of experience) who's planning on moving to Melbourne at the end of this year. I'm in a bit of a niche market, since I'm currently working in the AS400 / IBM i domain.

I'm actively looking for a job on multiple job sites, and applying to jobs both in my field and just low level analyst jobs. But I'm not seeing a lot of feedback. Is it normal for agents not to respond when you're still abroad?

 

I must admit that going through this forum is not improving my confidence. We have enough savings for a prolonged job search / vacation, but that's not something I particularly enjoy. 

As a silly side-question: is there any specific Australian IT lingo I should be aware of? 

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Sorry for what seems to be a blunt question, but, why hamstring yourself with such antiquated tech, especially as a young developer? Are you only really interested in working for Financial institutes for the rest of your life?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, supercow said:

 

Sorry for what seems to be a blunt question, but, why hamstring yourself with such antiquated tech, especially as a young developer? Are you only really interested in working for Financial institutes for the rest of your life?

 

It's not so antiquated.  Midframe  systems evolve constantly, as do the technologies running on them.  On top of that, these systems have amazing processing possibilities and a reliability who will easily outperform any server or cloud service. If you keep them updated.

The big issue in my opinion, is that everything is backward compatible. This allows people to still program and design like they did in the '80s, and doesn't force them to update their systems, toolset or skillset. When I arrived this was the reality, colleagues with outdated skillset and no intention of stepping up. We convinced management to say 'No more', and evolved the team and system towards the future. It's an amazing place to work now. 

But I'm not naive, I know falling popularity, systems that aren't upgraded, and difficulties with finding new programmers are leading to the end of those systems. But that's life in IT, things evolve. I plan to evolve with them, or to switch fields. There is so much more to IT than just the languages or technologies you use. 

As for your second question, I love big companies (like finance, big industry, government...). They offer opportunities and challenges you don't get elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MetalToby said:

You are best to target the banks as they are most likely to be using those technologies. It is quite narrow so it may take longer than usual to find work.

Dont expect much joy when applying remotley. I think they get so many speculative applications that they dont bother responding unless you are in the country.

If you are in the UK, I spoke to James Ballard at Robert Walters (look him up on linkedin) he was able to give me some advice and pass my details to their offices in Aus. Again, they didnt want to speak to me until I got here but the agent was good helpful once I arrived.

There is nothing specific about the Australian IT world to worry about, writing software is the same everywhere. You will obviously need to learn the specific domain you move into, but that is the same when moving jobs anywhere so dont worry about that.

Once you arrive make sure you join some meetups, recruiters often attend these looking for people.

Hope that helps

 

 

Thanks MetalToby. I'm not in the UK, but have applied for a couple of jobs at Robert Walters.

I've heard about joining meetups before. What are those like? And how would one find meetups in the area?

20 hours ago, kevsan said:

Agents will ignore you until you are onshore as they generally need people to fill immediate gaps.

Its best to target companies directly, either look up someone in your area in those roles on linkedin or hr directly. As mentioned, banks are a reasonable bet. ANZ and NAB are spending big on IT projects at the moment, so you may have luck there.

IBM have a large office in southbank, you could see if you could get something there in the short term, or even try some of the UNI's - RMIT are spending as well at the moment.

Thank you kevsan. I'm already keeping a close eye on NAB. I'll go back to ANZ, but their site is a bit tedious...

I'll be sure to look into IBM at southbank and RMIT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join https://www.meetup.com

This is where you will find meetups in Melbourne. They generally consist of presentations and networking. Go along to any software engineering meetups even if they are not exactly related to your skillset. Talk to people there and you may meet some recruiters. Meetup sponsors are often looking for people so speak to them. Everyone is always friendly and happy to talk so dont be shy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All

My husband is an 'IT Infrastructure Engineer' managing datacentre for a Managed Service Provider. He is doing really well in his current role, however we as a family want to emigrate to Aus as my parents live in Brisbane. He is very skilled and has over 8 years experience in IT across many different roles, however we are struggling to find the appropriate Visa;

- Skilled Occupations Visa 190 (QLD Area) has no IT Occupations listed (However this do not seem to reflect the current available IT vacancies we have seen advertised within Brisbane)

- The Skilled Independent Visa 189 is not diverse enough for the IT industry and the role descriptions / skill requirements are very much focused on Networking...

Also can anyone provide recommendations as to which visa we should apply for? As my parents have permanent resident visas are they able to sponsor us in any way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×